GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 05 Aug 2020, 11:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
S
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 2.98
WE: Analyst (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests
Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 13:57
Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency. I do not have a systemic way of arranging my workings and often get confused once I narrow down the answer between C or E.

Example:

If x and y are greater than 0, is x = 1 ?

(1) x/y = 1
(2) xy = 1

I begin using the variable/picking numbers approach

(1) X and Y could be 2 and 2, 0.5 and 0.5 or 1 and 1 (Insufficient) ELIMINATE A and D
(2) X and Y could be 1 and 1, 2 and 0.5 or 3 and 3 (Insufficient) ELIMINATE B

That was easy right.

The hard part is COMBINING the 2 statements. how do I do this systemically, with as much structure as possible and with avoiding confusion. I've noticed that when I get the answer down to C and E, I almost always get it wrong for these types of questions, I just cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP!!
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 16:15
Hi GloryBoy92,

Any time you make a 'deduction' when working on a GMAT question, you should write it on your pad. You might be surprised how often you will discover something about a prompt only to forget it 15 seconds later (because you are focused on some other aspect of the prompt).

With this DS question, the work that you did with Fact 1 and Fact 2 is great. Once you got to the point that you needed to combine both Facts, how much easier would it be to work through that last part of the process IF - after dealing with Fact 1 - you wrote on your pad "X and Y are the SAME number"? At this point, you would be looking at....

X and Y are POSITIVE (this is information in the original prompt)
X and Y are the SAME number
(X)(Y) = 1

That extra little bit of note-taking will save you time and greatly increase your chances of correctly answering the question.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

The Course Used By GMAT Club Moderators To Earn 750+

souvik101990 Score: 760 Q50 V42 ★★★★★
ENGRTOMBA2018 Score: 750 Q49 V44 ★★★★★
Target Test Prep Representative
V
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Re: Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2020, 17:49
GloryBoy92 wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency. I do not have a systemic way of arranging my workings and often get confused once I narrow down the answer between C or E.

Example:

If x and y are greater than 0, is x = 1 ?

(1) x/y = 1
(2) xy = 1

I begin using the variable/picking numbers approach

(1) X and Y could be 2 and 2, 0.5 and 0.5 or 1 and 1 (Insufficient) ELIMINATE A and D
(2) X and Y could be 1 and 1, 2 and 0.5 or 3 and 3 (Insufficient) ELIMINATE B

That was easy right.

The hard part is COMBINING the 2 statements. how do I do this systemically, with as much structure as possible and with avoiding confusion. I've noticed that when I get the answer down to C and E, I almost always get it wrong for these types of questions, I just cant figure it out. PLEASE HELP!!

Hi Glorybou92,

As long as you use algebra, when combining the statements, you should not have a problem. So, we have:

1) x = y

2) xy = 1

Substituting, we have:

x^2 = 1

x = 1 or x = -1

Since we are originally given that x is greater than zero, we see that x must be 1.

250 REVIEWS

5-STAR RATED ONLINE GMAT QUANT SELF STUDY COURSE

NOW WITH GMAT VERBAL (BETA)

See why Target Test Prep is the top rated GMAT quant course on GMAT Club. Read Our Reviews

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency   [#permalink] 07 Jul 2020, 17:49

Struggling to choose between questions C and E on Data Sufficiency

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: DisciplinedPrep