GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jan 2019, 03:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in January
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Strategy Webinar

January 19, 2019

January 19, 2019

07:00 AM PST

09:00 AM PST

Aiming to score 760+? Attend this FREE session to learn how to Define your GMAT Strategy, Create your Study Plan and Master the Core Skills to excel on the GMAT.
  • FREE Quant Workshop by e-GMAT!

January 20, 2019

January 20, 2019

Get personalized insights on how to achieve your Target Quant Score.

Struggling with ratio DS questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V27
Reviews Badge
Struggling with ratio DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 09:09
Hi everyone!

I am having a huge problem with DS ratio questions. I can get most of PS right, but I get 90% of DS wrong.

Do you know of any page that would teach me the theory behind these questions? Like the quarter wit from @Karishima for example.

Thank you!
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Struggling with ratio DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2017, 11:58
iliavko wrote:
Hi everyone!

I am having a huge problem with DS ratio questions. I can get most of PS right, but I get 90% of DS wrong.

Do you know of any page that would teach me the theory behind these questions? Like the quarter wit from @Karishima for example.

Thank you!

Dear iliavko,

I'm happy to respond. :-) First of all, here's a blog you might find helpful.
GMAT Quantitative: Ratio and Proportions

I will say that all math happens in the details. You asked a very general question here. I will say some general things in response, but it may be that to resolve your confusion, you will have to post some individual questions with which you struggle.

One BIG idea #1 is that there are two kinds of information in such problems:
1) Ratio information = this includes not only the ratios but any fractional relationships and percent increases/decreases
2) Count information = the exact number of individuals

Big idea #2 is that if we have only ratio information, no matter how much we have, we can never generate count information. For example,
Prompt: In a class, the ratio of boys to girls is 2:3. How many boy students are there?
Statement #1: If the number increased by 50%, then there would be the same number of boys and girls.
In this concocted problem, the prompt gives us ratio information and ask for count information. Statement #1 give us more ratio information. If all we have is ratio information, we can find a count. Statement #1 is insufficient.

Big idea #3 is that a ratio combined with ANY single piece count information is enough to determine all the counts. If the ratio is A:B:C:D:E, then not only the count of any one of those items, but the count of any sum or difference (e.g. B has 16 more member than C does), would qualify as the single piece of count information needed to find all the other count information.

Big idea #4 is that we always can turn ratios into algebra: if the ratio of A:B:C is 4:7:9, then these groups are, respectively, 4n, 7n, and 9n, for some integer n.

I don't know whether this answers your questions. Please let me know if you have further questions.
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Reviews Badge
Re: Struggling with ratio DS questions  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 10:47
Hi mikemcgarry

Thank you so much for your reply!

You always have interesting info to teach :)

I will practice some more so I can come up with more specific problems I have.

Thank you!
Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46

Show Tags

New post 07 Jan 2017, 14:47
Many of my students have benefited greatly from what I call the "Chart Method for Ratios," especially in Data Sufficiency.

In the following playlist, I introduce the chart method, show how it's particularly useful in DS, and then solve a few questions from the Official Guide:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLDrD0rRwtGtoCno4apfwO0f4P5FjLKU-m

Hope it's helpful.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 10 Jan 2017, 16:29
GMATAcademy

Thank you a lot for the video! It develops really well on the ideas brought by Mike.

You see it's frustrating because I understand the concept quite well (I think) but then I get really confusing questions such as the one by Magoosh that says something like: a conference had members and guests and a member could only bring one guest, etc. mikemcgarry Do you see which one it is? Like it's really confusing and I don't see how applying these concepts helps. It seems that the Q is testing something else..
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2018, 14:47
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: Struggling with ratio DS questions &nbs [#permalink] 18 Dec 2018, 14:47

Struggling with ratio DS questions

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap