GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Aug 2018, 03:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Study plan suggestions for Q50/51

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Study plan suggestions for Q50/51  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 12:38
Hi all,

Long story short, felt confident I could get a Q46 on my test scheduled this weekend, but proctors informed me a software error occurred so I have the option to reschedule. If I want to push into Q50/51 territory, how much additional study time should I give myself? Second, have seen a few threads with different approaches for going from 46/47 to 50/51 - any study suggestions for someone who has been studying for 2-3 months thus far? Thursday’s with Ron videos, rereading Manhattan books, flash card sets?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
BSchool Forum Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12
Premium Member
Study plan suggestions for Q50/51  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 12:51
Hey justinw

Welcome to GMATClub.

With a Q46, you should be fluent with the basics. For topics you face problems in, you should
go through the concepts in the GMATClub Quantitative Mega-thread. This thread will definitely
help you reinforce your concepts.

Whenever you practice questions, try to understand if you are able to apply the learning to the
problems. Every time you are not able to solve a question go through the thread (where these
question has been discussed) and go through the various methods that have been used to solve
the problems. In my experience, you will come across a few methods that will at least help you
save some time. Try and adapt these methods while you solve questions during practice.

Work on maintaining an error log and go through the mistakes you make from time to time.
You might want to have a look at the below-given post

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-impro ... 41670.html

Hope this helps you!

You've got what it takes, but it will take everything you've got

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
G
Re: Study plan suggestions for Q50/51  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Jul 2018, 13:00
Hi justinw

Welcome to GMAT Club!!

My suggestion is analyze your practice test scores. If you are a Q46 guy already, then you know most of the concepts tested on GMAT, pretty well.

Find where your mistakes take place, work on eliminating those.

Find any weak conceptual areas for e.g. advanced combinatorics. Work by revisiting the concepts & practice tons of problems.

Make sure you have 100% accuracy on Sub-600 & 600-700 level problems. No tolerance in this. Hammer them down till they are second nature. This will mean no careless mistakes & faster solutions. You need to solve these in below average time per question

Learn all the advanced topics & have a good accuracy at solving tough problems.A Q51 usually means only 1 or 2 wrong answers on the test.

Purchase the GMAT club tests & maintain a score of Q49+ on them. I think that will set you on the track for Q51.

Thats all i can think right now. Maybe others will chip in with more tips.

Check out these threads

http://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-go-from-a-48-to-51-in-gmat-quant-200999.html

https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-ultimate-q51-guide-209801.html

Thanks,
GyM
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 08:30
Hi justinw,

From what you describe, you did not take the GMAT this weekend - and it's unclear when exactly you plan to take it? In addition, have you taken the GMAT before or will this be your first attempt? Before I can offer you the specific advice that you’re looking for, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on EACH of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for EACH)?

Goals:
4) What is your overall goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2018, 08:59
Hi!

Did not take it this weekend and have the option to reschedule for free. Thinking I take it in mid August. As for the answers to your questions:
- 2 months studying
- OG 2018 and Manhattan guides
- Scores (Manhattan): Q41/V38 (6/1/2018), Q45/V38 (6/15/2018), Q45/V39 (7/2/2018), Gmat Prep Q47/V40
- Goal score: Q49/50 and V40+ (in PR field so math will most likely be weighted more)
5) thinking I probably need another month
6) will apply next year or potential round 2 this year depending on score results
7) Harvard, Columbia, Duke

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
e-GMAT Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 02:22
Hi justinw,

I am glad to see that you want to put in the effort to reach a score of Q50/51 in the grace period that you have got. Your confidence in getting Q46/47 is very refreshing to see and suggests fairly good grasp over concepts and their application. The path to Q50/51 is now about refining your preparation enough to not leave anything to chance.

Way Forward

I am sure you’ve heard the phrase - you are only as good as your weakest link. It holds true in almost everything we do as that can make or break our performance at the last minute. Also, the maximum improvement can be derived by working on weak areas. Keeping this mind, I would suggest that you follow the below mentioned steps to take your Quant performance to the next level:
    • Evaluate topic level preparedness
    • Isolate weaknesses and improve upon them
    • Track Improvement and repeat the process until you achieve your desired scores

Evaluating Topic Level Preparedness & Isolating Weaknesses

Click here to take a Quant Ability Quizz to evaluate your topic level preparedness
    • Check ‘Skill Data’ section to Isolate the topics in which you are weak

Improving Upon the Weaknesses

You may use your current resources to do so or check out our extensive Free Trial content to see if it suits your learning style. I am sharing direct links to a few of them. You can get access to a lot more of these videos and practice questions once you sign up for the Free Trial.

Here is an example of one of the many students who used the above strategy to get to their desired score:
• Learn how Leonardo (from Brazil) improved his Quant score from a Q46 to Q49 in a quick time using the above strategy and went on to score an incredible 750. He "identified and practiced specific sections" in Quant by leveraging Quant Scholaranium to achieve this feat. Click here to watch his video debrief. He recently secured an admit from Wharton, Booth, and Tepper.

ATTEND A FREE QUANT WORKSHOP TO GET PERSONLIZED FEEDBACK FROM OUR EXPERTS

We are conducting a free Quant workshop this weekend, i.e. on 15th of July. It is designed for students like you who have a completed their basic preparation and are looking at boosting their scores with personalized guidance from our experts. Register and reserve your spot now!

Regards,
Aditee

| '4 out of Top 5' Instructors on gmatclub | 70 point improvement guarantee | www.e-gmat.com

Manager
Manager
S
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GRE 1: Q164 V162
GPA: 3.85
WE: Accounting (Investment Banking)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 02:32
Also, don't forget to utilize gmat club tests which are designed for q49+
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 10 Jul 2018, 21:06
Hi justinw,

Many Test Takers spend 3 months (or more) of consistent study time before they hit their 'peak' scores, so it's possible that you might naturally improve as you continue to study. Since your CAT results have shown a consistent improvement over time, I'd like to know a bit more about how you took these CATs:

1) Did you take the ENTIRE CAT each time (including the Essay and IR sections)?
2) Did you take them at home?
3) Did you take them at the same time of day as when you plan to take your Official GMAT?
4) Did you ever do ANYTHING during your CATs that you couldn't do on Test Day (pause the CAT, skip sections, take longer breaks, etc.)?
5) Did you ever take a CAT more than once? Had you seen any of the questions BEFORE (re: on a prior CAT, in an online forum or in a practice set)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Study plan suggestions for Q50/51 &nbs [#permalink] 10 Jul 2018, 21:06

Study plan suggestions for Q50/51

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap