Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Status:Accepting donations for the mohater MBA debt repayment fund
Own Kudos [?]: 1148 [0]
Given Kudos: 234
Concentration: Operations, Finance
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.54
WE:Accounting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 44 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 666 [1]
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Harvard Business School (HBS) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.91
WE:Corporate Finance (Venture Capital)
Send PM
Re: Studying full-time, best daily strategy (time use) [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I posted a similar topic not long before you. Depends on your study style. Personally even in college I waited till the last minute, didn't go to class or do homework and crammed 12+ hour study sessions a couple days before the test. Worked well for me. Others need to do a little each day to retain. How long of "free time" do you have to study? I only have 6 weeks between jobs, so I'm studying 6-8 hours a day. I would say do 3 hours minimum, and not more than 12 hours.

Take a day off if you're feeling burned out. For me little breaks like going out to dinner with friends is enough to refresh me. And I don't plan on taking any days off. Again it's a matter of what works for you. I don't do well studying nonstop for long periods of time but sometimes even a 1-2 hour break is enough to re-energize you.

My college finals week: Study for 6 hours, sleep for 2 hours, repeat.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
IMO, i don't think you can treat the GMAT the same you can treat a final exam. personally, even though i had a lot of free time during my gmat studying, i limited it to 2 hrs~ per day (except on days that i took full length tests, in which case it was 3 hrs).

a lot of the GMAT isn't necessarily knowledge based (like memorizing equations/formulas, definitions, dates); rather, it's more about having a good background knowledge of all of the materials, and then applying good test taking skills (pacing yourself, knowing when to skip questions, not freaking out) in order to do well. this can only come through practice practice and more practice to gain stamina and familiarity with the test.

so, to answer the OP's question, i'd say don't overdo it. just because you can dedicate 10 hours a day to the exam doesnt mean you should. as with most things in life, i'd say have a healthy balance and dont get stressed out by the exam prep.
GMAT Club Bot