GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Aug 2018, 02:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Subject verb agreement-experts please help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Subject verb agreement-experts please help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 21:11
I have two General doubts.
1-GENERAL RULE-In case of SANAM pronoun, it can be singular or plural depending on the context of the sentence.
e.g. Some of the students are in the class.
e.g. Some of the water is in the glass.
In all the above sentences-VERB is directly dependent on SUBJECT (students,water)
Then why this sentence is correct-? "Whereas 80% of firms quoted on some exchanges publish green data, none on the Indonesian and Saudi exchanges does so."
SANAM pronoun-NONE
SUBJECT- Indonesian and Saudi exchanges
Because the subject is plural,we must use 'do' rather than 'does'.

2-Does he play cricket?
0r
Does he plays cricket?
What is the correct ruke for do, does and third person pronoun?

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
G
Re: Subject verb agreement-experts please help  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2018, 22:14
Hi stomar67, you are not very likely to be tested on none. In fact, I have come across only one official example using none:

None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed do.

Please note that even in the above sentence, GMAT is not really testing you on subject-verb agreement.

By the way, your example needs to be just read as: none on the exchanges (Indonesian and Saudi is just an adjective).

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 00:01
EducationAisle wrote:
Hi stomar67, you are not very likely to be tested on none. In fact, I have come across only one official example using none:

None of the attempts to specify the causes of crime explains why most of the people exposed to the alleged causes do not commit crimes and, conversely, why so many of those not so exposed do.

Please note that even in the above sentence, GMAT is not really testing you on subject-verb agreement.

By the way, your example needs to be just read as: none on the exchanges (Indonesian and Saudi is just an adjective).

And what about the second problem?
I also want to know which of these is correct-
It seem to be a difficult problem
It seem to be a difficult problem

Sent from my XT1068 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2018, 04:55
Hi! It should be:

It seems..

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Re: Subject verb agreement-experts please help &nbs [#permalink] 06 Feb 2018, 04:55

Subject verb agreement-experts please help

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap