GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Apr 2019, 23:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Suffering from depression and frightened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Suffering from depression and frightened  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:12
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

81% (01:14) correct 19% (01:45) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of it, author William Styron’s despair turned into a harrowing yet illuminating novel about the disease.

A) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of it, author William Styron’s despair turned into a harrowing yet illuminating novel about the disease.
B) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of the depression, author Williams Styron’s despair was turned into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease.
C) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of it, author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease.
D) Author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease, depression, from which he suffered and whose extent frightened him.
E) Author William Styron’s despair was turned into a harrowing yet illuminating account of depression, a disease from which he suffered and was frightened by.
GMAT Tutor
S
Re: Suffering from depression and frightened  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:50
If a sentence reads like this: "Suffering from depression..., X did something" then "X" is the person or thing "suffering from depression". The original sentence says that "William Styron's despair" was suffering from depression, which doesn't make sense - it was Styron himself, not his "despair", who was suffering from depression. Answer C fixes that issue.

Answers D and E use a passive construction ("was turned into") which is bad in this sentence (and in most sentences) because it's not clear who performed the action. Answer C is better, because it's clear that it was Styron himself who turned his despair into a 'harrowing account', while in, say, E, we have no way to know if it was Styron or someone else, say a friend of his, who did that.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
Senior PS Moderator
V
GPA: 3.12

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:56
A) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of it, author William Styron’s despair turned into a harrowing yet illuminating novel about the disease.
Author's despair cannot turn into something. This doesn't make sense.
B) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of the depression, author Williams Styron’s despair was turned into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease.
Repeats the error in the original sentence
C) Suffering from depression and frightened by the extent of it, author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease.
This is the correct choice. Meaning error of sentence corrected
D) Author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease, depression, from which he suffered and whose extent frightened him.
Passive construction. The correct idiom is from X to Y
E) Author William Styron’s despair was turned into a harrowing yet illuminating account of depression, a disease from which he suffered and was frightened by
This sentence has passive construction
B
GMAT 1: 700 Q51 V34
Suffering from depression and frightened  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 10:58
IanStewart

Thanks for your replying.
I was confused between option C and D.
I have learned it hard way that we should not remove options just because its passive. Is there any other reason for D to be wrong?

In option C because the first 2 phrases are modifier and i thought were completely independent, "IT"should be replaced by word DEPRESSION . So I marked D. ( but i was clearly wrong). Please help
GMAT Tutor
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 11:42
Sorry, I made a mistake - glancing quickly I just assumed D and E had the same structure because they begin the same way. Only E uses a passive construction; D is active. But D has a few problems. When it says "the disease", that would normally refer back to the ailment mentioned earlier. This sentence makes perfect grammatical sense:

Author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of the disease.

Here "the disease" refers back to "his despair", but that's not the intended meaning of the complete sentence - the disease in the sentence is 'depression'. So D starts having problems when it starts tacking things on at the end of the above, because it's not clear what the disease is supposed to be.

And when there is an obvious way to change an SC answer choice that would improve it dramatically, you're almost never looking at a correct answer. If you take the middle of answer D and change it so the sentence begins:

Author William Styron turned his despair into a harrowing yet illuminating account of depression, a disease from which he suffered

that immediately makes it a clearer sentence, which is a good reason to look for a different answer choice. The end of the sentence is also awkward, which is why I've left it out.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Suffering from depression and frightened   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 11:42

Suffering from depression and frightened

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap