It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 05:33

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 38

Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:04
Hey guys,

I really need your advice. Many folks here, I've seen here works even more than 8 hours and still manage to score 700+. I work 9 to 6, with commuting time I spend about 12 hours a day outside home. It's been more than 6 months I started studying for GMAT.Unfortunately, I don't see much improvement. The main reason is that I cant study so
deeply and hard. After work I feel really exhausted, so I can't fully concentrate and dedicate myself to studies. Within 1-2 hours I feel sleepy, I barely keep my eyes open.
In fact, I've tested a couple of ways to study, i.e to sleep after work 1-2 hours then studying,but didn't work.

Thus, how you guys, allocate you study time so that you can study effectively and efficiently?Give me some advice please.

Thanks and happy studying:)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

Re: Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:29
This post received
KUDOS
Just keep on doing whatever you have been motivating for. I like your dedication and determination all around. You don't know how other's schedule look alike or how they manage their time. We only know how we can give our best (where we as each personal), as the time passes along you will figure out your time management and your capability. If you feel like you're not giving suffice time and energy then think through for what should have done to improve your motivation. If you're wanting to achieve something you will automatically give time into it otherwise will keep on asking on other's effective criteria to crack the problem. If there is a will, there is a way.

Kudos [?]: 1 [1], given: 1

2 KUDOS received
D

Kudos [?]: 490 [2], given: 113

Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 540 Q45 V20
GPA: 2.49
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:35
This post received
KUDOS
Mehemmed wrote:
Hey guys,

I really need your advice. Many folks here, I've seen here works even more than 8 hours and still manage to score 700+. I work 9 to 6, with commuting time I spend about 12 hours a day outside home. It's been more than 6 months I started studying for GMAT.Unfortunately, I don't see much improvement. The main reason is that I cant study so
deeply and hard. After work I feel really exhausted, so I can't fully concentrate and dedicate myself to studies. Within 1-2 hours I feel sleepy, I barely keep my eyes open.
In fact, I've tested a couple of ways to study, i.e to sleep after work 1-2 hours then studying,but didn't work.

Thus, how you guys, allocate you study time so that you can study effectively and efficiently?Give me some advice please.

Hi Mehemmed,

Please try out the following and you would see the results i am very sure :)

1. Howmany hours:
try to allocate 3 hours of study on weekdays. But even if you can study 2 hours that is just fine. On Saturday go for 5-8 hours. On sunday 2-3 hours only and relax for the rest of the time :) Never miss studying on any day from monday-saturday. Study of 30 minutes is also fine on heavy workload days. Sunday is fine :D

2. Take advantage of commute time: Use smart phone smartly. I mean always keep your LEARNINGS/Points-to-be-revised/mistakes-summary-from-error-log on the web/document that can be accessed in phone while commuting. If you like to keep the notes in notebook then go through that while commuting. Finally you can record the learnings of everyday and listen to them while commuting. This is the best way to utilise commute time and it does the MOST IMPORTANT TASK FOR YOU i.e. REVISION.

3. When to study: Always study when your mind is not tired. When your mind is tired and you think you have time and feel like picking up books then invest that time in READING articles/novels. It will help you improve your reading skills and bring you sound sleep. If you are not an avid reader then i suggest you to atleast invest 1 hour in READING when you're done with concept learning.

4. Meditation: Invest atleast 15 minutes to it. it shall help you help your mind be at peace and stay away from all time bombardments of thoughts. Sit silently and close your eyes and try to think about nothing. that should help.

5. What about food for Mind: Eat what empowers the brain. Dry fruits help.

6. Howmany questions a day: do questions in a set. it could range from 5-10-15-37/41. If you do 5 questions and take 1 hour understanding the TAKEAWAY from all of them then be it 5 only. Do less questions but learn everything from them.

7. CATs:
There is no hurry to taking CATs. There are phases in study. Concept phase, practice phase and Mocks taking phase. so do not jump on CATs immediately.

there is much more to it. Plan, prioritise and EXECUTE intelligently. Never study in stress. Never feel underconfident. Never Give up.

Please ask question/s whenever you have any. Be it quant, verbal, strategy or any other that trouble your prep.

All the best. Be at ease and you'll succeed.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Target - 720-740
http://gmatclub.com/forum/information-on-new-gmat-esr-report-beta-221111.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/list-of-one-year-full-time-mba-programs-222103.html

Kudos [?]: 490 [2], given: 113

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V41
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:37
I guess it depends on what your timeline is to write the GMAT i.e. when you are applying to schools and what your current prep scores are and what score you are aiming for.

Without that information, it tough to give you an in depth answer but I will speak from my experience. My work commute is only 15 minutes but I work 8am-7pm most days, sometimes later. I knew I wouldn't be able to work after coming home, so I would get up early and work for a couple of hours before getting ready for work. This worked for me because I'm naturally at my peak in the morning. On the odd chance I did have some downtime at work, I'd do a couple of practice questions or practice on flash cards or revise a couple of concepts. Its amazing how you can even make ten minutes work for you.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 38

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:41
This post received
KUDOS
mrinaljindal wrote:
Just keep on doing whatever you have been motivating for. I like your dedication and determination all around. You don't know how other's schedule look alike or how they manage their time. We only know how we can give our best (where we as each personal), as the time passes along you will figure out your time management and your capability. If you feel like you're not giving suffice time and energy then think through for what should have done to improve your motivation. If you're wanting to achieve something you will automatically give time into it otherwise will keep on asking on other's effective criteria to crack the problem. If there is a will, there is a way.

Thank you for answer and motivation. Studying while working is really a challenge. But you are right, with the will power there's no mountain that one can't climb!!! Just wanted to see how others struggle with this.

Kudos [?]: 2 [1], given: 38

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 10:56
HKD1710 wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
Hey guys,

Hi Mehemmed,

Please try out the following and you would see the results i am very sure :)

1. Howmany hours:
try to allocate 3 hours of study on weekdays. But even if you can study 2 hours that is just fine. On Saturday go for 5-8 hours. On sunday 2-3 hours only and relax for the rest of the time :) Never miss studying on any day from monday-saturday. Study of 30 minutes is also fine on heavy workload days. Sunday is fine :D

2. Take advantage of commute time: Use smart phone smartly. I mean always keep your LEARNINGS/Points-to-be-revised/mistakes-summary-from-error-log on the web/document that can be accessed in phone while commuting. If you like to keep the notes in notebook then go through that while commuting. Finally you can record the learnings of everyday and listen to them while commuting. This is the best way to utilise commute time and it does the MOST IMPORTANT TASK FOR YOU i.e. REVISION.

3. When to study: Always study when your mind is not tired. When your mind is tired and you think you have time and feel like picking up books then invest that time in READING articles/novels. It will help you improve your reading skills and bring you sound sleep. If you are not an avid reader then i suggest you to atleast invest 1 hour in READING when you're done with concept learning.

4. Meditation: Invest atleast 15 minutes to it. it shall help you help your mind be at peace and stay away from all time bombardments of thoughts. Sit silently and close your eyes and try to think about nothing. that should help.

5. What about food for Mind: Eat what empowers the brain. Dry fruits help.

6. Howmany questions a day: do questions in a set. it could range from 5-10-15-37/41. If you do 5 questions and take 1 hour understanding the TAKEAWAY from all of them then be it 5 only. Do less questions but learn everything from them.

7. CATs:
There is no hurry to taking CATs. There are phases in study. Concept phase, practice phase and Mocks taking phase. so do not jump on CATs immediately.

there is much more to it. Plan, prioritise and EXECUTE intelligently. Never study in stress. Never feel underconfident. Never Give up.

Please ask question/s whenever you have any. Be it quant, verbal, strategy or any other that trouble your prep.

All the best. Be at ease and you'll succeed.

Thank you for such a great recommendations. I'll follow it.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 11:19
MDLuffy wrote:
I guess it depends on what your timeline is to write the GMAT i.e. when you are applying to schools and what your current prep scores are and what score you are aiming for.

Without that information, it tough to give you an in depth answer but I will speak from my experience. My work commute is only 15 minutes but I work 8am-7pm most days, sometimes later. I knew I wouldn't be able to work after coming home, so I would get up early and work for a couple of hours before getting ready for work. This worked for me because I'm naturally at my peak in the morning. On the odd chance I did have some downtime at work, I'd do a couple of practice questions or practice on flash cards or revise a couple of concepts. Its amazing how you can even make ten minutes work for you.

Thanks for your valuable advice

Expert Post
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
P
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat

Kudos [?]: 3690 [0], given: 173

GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: 340 Q170 V170

Show Tags

New post 09 Nov 2017, 12:22
Hi Mehemmed,

It's understandable that you might find it challenging to study after a full day of work (especially if you're really tired). As such, you might want to consider changing your schedule a bit. If you go to bed earlier and wake up earlier, then you can study for a couple of hours BEFORE you go to work (when you are more alert, awake and able to retain information). While that type of commitment might be a bit 'jarring' to your schedule at first, you'll almost certainly find it a more effective way to study.

Before I can offer you any additional advice, it would help if you could provide a bit more information on how you've been studying and your goals:

Studies:
1) How long have you studied?
2) What study materials have you used so far?
3) How have you scored on each of your CATs (including the Quant and Verbal Scaled Scores for each)?

Goals:
4) What is your goal score?
5) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
6) When are you planning to apply to Business School?
7) What Schools are you planning to apply to?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Kudos [?]: 3690 [0], given: 173

Intern
Intern
B

Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT? [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Nov 2017, 08:44
mikemcgarry,

is there anything you can add?

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 14:12
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Mehemmed wrote:
Hey guys,

Dear Mehemmed,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I am judging from your response that English is not your first language, because there are a few grammar mistakes in your post typical of non-native speakers. It sounds as if getting your Verbal performance up would be a big priority.

It's true that some people with busy schedules manage to get excellent scores, and some of these with very little studying, but these are the exception, not the rule. Furthermore, some people who work 8 hours a day don't have your long commute also. You are really at the far end of the bell curve, in terms of the amount of time that you job is demanding of you. Not only for the GMAT, but also for your overall well-being and happiness, I wonder if there are any options for changing either you work or living arrangements, so that you get to live more of your life.

If nothing can change, if you are locked into 9 hours at work and 3 hours of commuting, then we have to get creative. You see, learning is encoded under repeated exposure: exceptionally few people can see something just once and own it. For most people, repeated exposure is the key to remembering. I don't know whether you commute is a drive or on public transit: however you are commuting, there would be ways to make that time work for you. Even if you are driving, you should be listening to recordings of academic books, to get English constructions and idioms into your head. I don't know if you get a lunch hour, during which you can work.

Here are some free GMAT flashcards:
GMAT Math flashcards
GMAT Idiom flashcards
If you have those apps on your phone, you can review any time, anywhere, as long as you have an extra 5 minutes. You will have to fine more bit-size modes of studying.

I would say that your best chance of making substantial progress would be to do major work on the weekends, and then perhaps just do review of your mistakes during the hours on weeknights. Say, you did a practice test or a batch of practice problems on the weekend, and watched lessons. During the short intervals on weeknights, you could simply review your mistakes and write this up in an error-log. Because your time is limited, you will have to be that much more intentional and focused about doing deep review of each and every mistake. It's true, you may have to make some hard choices about how you spend your time during the time you are studying for the GMAT.

Keep in mind that meals may have to be learning times: you could go through a large lesson library, such as that of Magoosh, if you watched each day during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Again, I don't know to what extent you have free time during any of those meals already.

Also, toward that end, you really will need to embrace the habits of excellence. You do not have the luxury of time. What you lack in quantity of time, you will have to make up in quality. You will have to operate with a level of focus and diligence and dedication that is above and beyond what almost anyone else would imagine. If you have aspirations for an excellent score, and you have the disadvantage of so little time, then you will have to be outstanding in how thoroughly and intentionally you do each little thing.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Kudos [?]: 8966 [1], given: 111

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2017, 18:05
It is important to arrange the time properly, you can't force a tired body and mind to do anything, it's not progressive ,
keep in mind , perseverance is the best progress

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 11:32
mikemcgarry wrote:
Mehemmed wrote:
Hey guys,

Dear Mehemmed,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

I am judging from your response that English is not your first language, because there are a few grammar mistakes in your post typical of non-native speakers. It sounds as if getting your Verbal performance up would be a big priority.

It's true that some people with busy schedules manage to get excellent scores, and some of these with very little studying, but these are the exception, not the rule. Furthermore, some people who work 8 hours a day don't have your long commute also. You are really at the far end of the bell curve, in terms of the amount of time that you job is demanding of you. Not only for the GMAT, but also for your overall well-being and happiness, I wonder if there are any options for changing either you work or living arrangements, so that you get to live more of your life.

If nothing can change, if you are locked into 9 hours at work and 3 hours of commuting, then we have to get creative. You see, learning is encoded under repeated exposure: exceptionally few people can see something just once and own it. For most people, repeated exposure is the key to remembering. I don't know whether you commute is a drive or on public transit: however you are commuting, there would be ways to make that time work for you. Even if you are driving, you should be listening to recordings of academic books, to get English constructions and idioms into your head. I don't know if you get a lunch hour, during which you can work.

Here are some free GMAT flashcards:
GMAT Math flashcards
GMAT Idiom flashcards
If you have those apps on your phone, you can review any time, anywhere, as long as you have an extra 5 minutes. You will have to fine more bit-size modes of studying.

I would say that your best chance of making substantial progress would be to do major work on the weekends, and then perhaps just do review of your mistakes during the hours on weeknights. Say, you did a practice test or a batch of practice problems on the weekend, and watched lessons. During the short intervals on weeknights, you could simply review your mistakes and write this up in an error-log. Because your time is limited, you will have to be that much more intentional and focused about doing deep review of each and every mistake. It's true, you may have to make some hard choices about how you spend your time during the time you are studying for the GMAT.

Keep in mind that meals may have to be learning times: you could go through a large lesson library, such as that of Magoosh, if you watched each day during breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Again, I don't know to what extent you have free time during any of those meals already.

Also, toward that end, you really will need to embrace the habits of excellence. You do not have the luxury of time. What you lack in quantity of time, you will have to make up in quality. You will have to operate with a level of focus and diligence and dedication that is above and beyond what almost anyone else would imagine. If you have aspirations for an excellent score, and you have the disadvantage of so little time, then you will have to be outstanding in how thoroughly and intentionally you do each little thing.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mike :-)

Dear Mike,

Thank you so much for your valuable recommendations. I really loved your concept about habits of excellence. Yes, it is very difficult always to adhere to this ideal,but this is what I should strive for. Your answer is really motivating. Again, THANK YOU! :)

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 30 Nov 2017, 11:36
Accester wrote:
It is important to arrange the time properly, you can't force a tired body and mind to do anything, it's not progressive ,
keep in mind , perseverance is the best progress

Thank you for your answer. You are right that it is pointless to force a tired brain to absorb something, but I don't have that luxury to study always with rested mind, unfortunately.

Re: Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT?   [#permalink] 30 Nov 2017, 11:36

Suggestions on how to allocate time for GMAT?

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: HKD1710

HOT DEALS FOR NOVEMBER
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Target Test Prep - $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $99/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap