It is currently 16 Aug 2017, 14:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Suggestions on how to go for an executive MBA program

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Suggestions on how to go for an executive MBA program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 00:31
Hi,

I have few queries around the admission procedure for executive MBA program.

I have 12+ years of experience in Information Technology domain and currently working with an Investment Bank on Vice President- Technology Risk Management role at Pune, India. I was going through the requirements for an admission to the executive MBA program and it requires a sponsorship letter from the employing organization for time commitment and financial support.

Taking a worst-case scenario I might not be able to get such a sponsorship letter. Would it be advisable to quit the job and enroll at the program on a self-sponsorship basis? If that's the case, would I be able to do a part-time job (from a visa perspective) to support my education fee? What is the general guideline in such cases where the candidates are in a different country and might not be able to get organization sponsorship?

Thanks in advance ...

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
S
Affiliations: MBA Prep Coach

Kudos [?]: 166 [1] , given: 69

Farrell D Hehn: MBA
Re: Suggestions on how to go for an executive MBA program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 00:39
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
You know I'm really not sure why they even still call it a sponsorship letter, because it's quite unusual for companies to sponsor employees for their mbas anymore.

What this is really all about is that your employer needs to say okay cool she can spend 3 to 4 days a month all the office to attend classes.

I highly recommend that you not quit the job, I would first try to demonstrate how they will benefit from this additional education. It's really uncommon and a little difficult to apply for an Executive MBA when you are no longer an executive. Or no longer employed really. Part of the goal here is to apply what you learned in the classroom back at your job.

That being said, if they are dead set against it and you want this education, then switch employers and ensure that they will give you the support you need in terms of the time off. Naturally the financial sponsorship would be nice to have, but it's really more the exception than the rule anymore.

Farrell Dyan Hehn, MBA
Admissions Consultant & Verbal Strategist MBAPrepCoach.com

Farrell Dyan
http://MBAPrepCoach.com
http://PoetsandQuants.com/Consultants/Farrell-Dyan
"You don't often come across people so perceptive and empathetic." - EM, NYC

Kudos [?]: 166 [1] , given: 69

Intern
Intern

Re: Suggestions on how to go for an executive MBA program [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Aug 2016, 00:50
thanks Farrell for the swift response.

As I am currently working in India and all the prestigious institutes are in US/UK/Hong Kong/Singapore, it would be difficult (if not impossible) for me to travel so frequently. In particular I have shortlisted following school/programs:

Tsinghua University / Insead - Tsinghua-Insead EMBA
    Kellogg / HKUST Business School - Kellogg-HKUST EMBA
    Trium: HEC Paris / LSE / New York University: Stern - Trium Global EMBA
    EMBA-Global Asia - EMBA-Global Americas and Europe
    UCLA: Anderson / National University of Singapore - UCLA-NUS EMBA
    Insead - Insead Global EMBA

Do you recommend first getting a job in the target country (Singapore/Hong Kong) and then pursue my eMBA goal?

Regards,
Neeraj

Re: Suggestions on how to go for an executive MBA program   [#permalink] 10 Aug 2016, 00:50