Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:07 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 220 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 460 Q38 V17
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64902 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: suggestions Please [#permalink]
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
farukqmul wrote:
I am really worried about RC section.For me,this section is much harder than CR..I always take a long time to solve a passage,typically 12-18 minutes...:(..Can anyone suggest me how to approach the RC section?I am currently following MGMAT RC and McGraw-Hill's Verbal..I don't see any improvement...

RC is mainly about practice. There is very little theory (though it is a good idea to know the various types of questions etc since it helps you channelize your thoughts properly). Reading speed is an issue a lot of people face and improving that takes a long time. Instead, try and improve your concentration. I guess, a big chunk of those 12 mins is lost because you get distracted. Probably, you blank out for some time in between. There are some strategies to take care of concentration problem. One of them is that at the end of every paragraph, try to recap what you read. It will make you more answerable and will help in retention. Also, try to practice lots of passages.

Very helpful advise....Thanks...:)
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
Definitely great advice by Karishma :).

Mini-paragraphs summaries are indeed very helpful because they force you to not only be more engaged with the passage but also help you understand the passage better.

One thing I would add - and which dovetails nicely with Karishma's advice - is, as much as possible, try to answer questions in your own words. Basically go back to the passage, read the relevant section, and then put the answer to the question in your own words, before looking at the answer choices. By thinking up or anticipating the answer, you are less likely to go back and forth between different answer choices and to get trapped by the answers. In a sense you are controlling the questions, and not letting the answers control you :).

Good luck, and let us know how these strategies are working out!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ChrisLele wrote:
Definitely great advice by Karishma :).

Mini-paragraphs summaries are indeed very helpful because they force you to not only be more engaged with the passage but also help you understand the passage better.

One thing I would add - and which dovetails nicely with Karishma's advice - is, as much as possible, try to answer questions in your own words. Basically go back to the passage, read the relevant section, and then put the answer to the question in your own words, before looking at the answer choices. By thinking up or anticipating the answer, you are less likely to go back and forth between different answer choices and to get trapped by the answers. In a sense you are controlling the questions, and not letting the answers control you :).

Good luck, and let us know how these strategies are working out!

Great advise ..I hope this will work out for me...:)
GMAT Club Bot