Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 07:15 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 07:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 464 [101]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618736 [61]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [14]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [4]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Re: Tanks X and Y contain 500 and 200 gallons of water respectively. If [#permalink]
Kudos
Although as many of them did I also forgot to convert minutes into hours in last step, here is my approach to correct answer.

Capacity X=500
Rate of drain = K/min

Capacity Y=200
Rate of filling = M/min

After t minutes the volume taken out from X and filled in Y should be same. Hence,

500 - Kt = 200 + Mt

t=300/(M+K) minutes

t= 5/(M+K) hours
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [2]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: Tanks X and Y contain 500 and 200 gallons of water respectively. If [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The analytical approaches above are correct. Here is a way to think about this and get to the right answer with minimal calculations.

If M or K increases, the tanks should reach equivalence faster. So M and K both need to be in the denominator. Eliminate (B).
If M or K increases, the tanks reach equivalence faster. Therefore K cannot be negative in the denominator. Eliminate (D) and (E).
To choose between (A) and (C), put in M=K=1. Then (C) says equivalence will take 150 hours, which is absurd given that at this rate, the bigger tank will drop to 300L in a little over 3 hours, and equivalence needs to be obviously be reached at a level between 300L and 500L for the two tanks. So (A) has to be right.

(A) it is.
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10011 [2]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
ichha148 wrote:
Tanks X and Y contain 500 and 200 gallons of water respectively. If water is being pumped out of tank X at a rate of K gallons per minute and water is being added to tank Y at a rate of M gallons per minute, how many hours will elapse before the two tanks contain equal amounts of water?

A. \(\frac{5}{M + K}\text{ hours}\)
B. \(6(M + K)\text{ hours}\)
C. \(\frac{300}{M + K}\text{ hours}\)
D. \(\frac{300}{M - K}\text{ hours}\)
E. \(\frac{60}{M - K}\text{ hours}\)

m22 q17

Let time taken to reach water to same level in both tanks be h hours
Water is being pumped out of tank x at the rate of K gallons per minute OR 60k gallons per hour.
Water is being added to tank y at the rate of M gallons per minute OR 60m gallons per hour.

After h hours amount of water in both the tanks will be the same. ------> 500 - 60kh = 200+60mh -------------> 300=60kh+60mh -----> 5 = h(k+m)

so \(h = \frac{5}{(k+m)}\)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 7208 [0]
Given Kudos: 193
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
I started up like this;
We require both tanks to have same amount of water i.e 350 gallons
means 150 gallons have to be removed from Tank X & 150 gallons have to be added to Tank Y

It will take \(\frac{150}{60K}\) Hrs to remove water from Tank X & \(\frac{150}{60M}\) Hrs to add water to Tank Y

I stuck at this point; Bunuel / Karishma can you please suggest how to continue using this approach
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 1585 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V48
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Quote:
I started up like this;
means 150 gallons have to be removed from Tank X & 150 gallons have to be added to Tank Y

It will take \frac{150}{60K} Hrs to remove water from Tank X & \frac{150}{60M} Hrs to add water to Tank Y

You are assuming here that water leaves the first tank at the same rate at which it enters the second tank (i.e. M=K). This can be seen from your own calculations. As the time needs to be equal in both cases, according to your calculations,
150/60K = 150/60M
=> K = M

If this were the case, then indeed the two tanks would have been level at 350L each. However, this is not given to be so. Therefore it is not essential that they draw level at 350L each.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [3]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PareshGmat wrote:
I started up like this;

It will take \(\frac{150}{60K}\) Hrs to remove water from Tank X & \(\frac{150}{60M}\) Hrs to add water to Tank Y

I stuck at this point; Bunuel / Karishma can you please suggest how to continue using this approach

Your starting point is the problem Paresh. Think about it. There are two people standing on a number line, one at 200 and the other at 500. They have a distance of 300 steps between them. They want to meet by walking towards each other and hence be at the same point. Will they necessarily meet at the center point? No. It depends on their speed where they meet. If the person at 200 is very slow and the other very fast, they will meet very close to 200 because the person at 200 would not have covered much distance and most distance will be covered by the person at 500. Hence the assumption that both need to have 350 ml is incorrect. Perhaps the filling up of 200 gallon tank is very slow while the emptying of 500 gallon is very fast. Then they both might have equal volumes of 250 gallons.

Check out the posts above for alternative solutions.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 82 [0]
Given Kudos: 105
Send PM
I think that this question contains some small portion of ambiguity. Im saying this because is not very clear what the author ment( maybe because im not native english), does the water goes from the 500G tank to the 200G tank, or they independetly work on their own. That is why PareshGmat and I was also in the same basket assuming that teh tanks are conected and need to equalize and tehre is a limited 700G and of course need to have 350G each, and got stuck. Of course if they are not concetd than the equation is streight forward.
Does someone else had the same issue?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
kzivrev wrote:
I think that this question contains some small portion of ambiguity. Im saying this because is not very clear what the author ment( maybe because im not native english), does the water goes from the 500G tank to the 200G tank, or they independetly work on their own. That is why PareshGmat and I was also in the same basket assuming that teh tanks are conected and need to equalize and tehre is a limited 700G and of course need to have 350G each, and got stuck. Of course if they are not concetd than the equation is streight forward.
Does someone else had the same issue?

It doesn't matter whether the water goes from one tank to another or whether it is pumped out and in independently. Note that you are clearly given that "water is being pumped out of tank X at a rate of K gallons per minute and water is being added to tank Y at a rate of M gallons per minute". The pumping out and pumping in take place at different rates. Now whether the water is pumped out of the big tank at a certain rate, stored and then pumped in the smaller tank at another rate or whether they have independent water sources - it doesn't matter. We want the water in the two tanks to be equal.

Say two people A and B are standing 300 steps away and they start walking toward each other. When will they meet? It their speeds are equal, then they will meet in the center i.e. 150 steps away from each end (that would be the case if K = M). But if their speeds are different, they could meet anywhere else. So if speed of A is twice the speed of B, A will cover 200 steps while B will cover 100 steps and they will meet 200 steps away from A's original position.
Similarly if K is twice of M, in the time that the big tank loses 200 gallons, the small tank will gain 100 gallons - they will both have 300 gallons of water each.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:
I started up like this;

Your starting point is the problem Paresh. Think about it. There are two people standing on a number line, one at 200 and the other at 500. They have a distance of 300 steps between them. They want to meet by walking towards each other and hence be at the same point. Will they necessarily meet at the center point? No. It depends on their speed where they meet. If the person at 200 is very slow and the other very fast, they will meet very close to 200 because the person at 200 would not have covered much distance and most distance will be covered by the person at 500. Hence the assumption that both need to have 350 ml is incorrect. Perhaps the filling up of 200 gallon tank is very slow while the emptying of 500 gallon is very fast. Then they both might have equal volumes of 250 gallons.

karishma: What PareshGmat did was pretty right....The catch is if both tank X and y are taking same time say, t hr to equal the level that means rate M=K...so time taken t=150/(K*60)=5/(2K)=5/(K+M)
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64894 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
dhawalbp wrote:
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
PareshGmat wrote:
I started up like this;

karishma: What PareshGmat did was pretty right....The catch is if both tank X and y are taking same time say, t hr to equal the level that means rate M=K...so time taken t=150/(K*60)=5/(2K)=5/(K+M)

Did you read the explanation I gave to him on why his logic is not sound?
Having equal level of water does not mean they did equal work. After some time, they both could have been at 300 gallons. So the tank with 200 gallons would have increased its water level by 100 gallons and tank with 500 gallons would have decreased its water level by 200 gallons. Note that the second tank would have done twice the work as done by first tank in the same amount of time so in this case, its rate would be twice the rate of first tank.
They do have equal level at the end but to reach there, they might have done different amount of work. So their rate need not be equal. This is the catch of this question.
Kindly go through my explanation given above and then check out the solutions given here:

tanks-x-and-y-contain-500-and-200-gallons-of-water-respectiv-101762.html#p789043
tanks-x-and-y-contain-500-and-200-gallons-of-water-respectiv-101762.html#p1346155
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31883 [0]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
Expert Reply
ichha148 wrote:
Tanks X and Y contain 500 and 200 gallons of water respectively. If water is being pumped out of tank X at a rate of K gallons per minute and water is being added to tank Y at a rate of M gallons per minute, how many hours will elapse before the two tanks contain equal amounts of water?

A. \(\frac{5}{M + K}\text{ hours}\)
B. \(6(M + K)\text{ hours}\)
C. \(\frac{300}{M + K}\text{ hours}\)
D. \(\frac{300}{M - K}\text{ hours}\)
E. \(\frac{60}{M - K}\text{ hours}\)

m22 q17

Hi,
the Q can be done in two steps...
the total change, both filling in one and draining in other, equals 500-200=300..
what are the rates working towards it .. M+K gallons per minute or (M+K)*60 gallons per hour...
\(answer =\frac{300}{{(M+K)*60 }}=\frac{5}{{M+K}}\)..
A
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [1]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM