GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Sep 2018, 22:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Terrible test experience at Test centre

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests
Terrible test experience at Test centre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 04:11
hi guys,

So i had scheduled my gmat for the 14th of august after 2 months of intense prep. As I am from trivandrum, India I chose a test centre called Indira centre for education which was in my city. On my earlier attempt I had scored a 690 and the test centre was in cochin. but since that attempt was over 5 years ago the score was invalid and I haf to take the test again. The last time the preparation was more or less haphazard. This time my preparation was more organised, I had signed on with some really nice courses online ( empower and egmat verbal), my mocks coming on well and I was quite confident to break into the early-mid 700s. And test day came...

1. I had scheduled my exam for 845am. I got to the test centre at 8.30 am to find that the place is still locked. Upon calling the contact number, the person at the other end told me to wait and said that someone would be coming along. 10 minutes later someone did come by and ushered me as well another candidate into the test centre. The test centre looked pretty basic, but since the aesthetics of the test centre werent my concern , I proceeded with the preliminary id proof and other formalities.

2. After the preliminary formalities the both of us were led into the test taking room. I was welcome to a modest sized room with 4 terminals crammed along the wall. I was given the second terminal from the left, and the other test taker got the 4th terminal. To my surprise I realised that the standard scratch pad issued to me wouldnt fit properly in the space between the keyboard and the monitor and turning the scratch pad over was even more difficult , but since I had space to my left and right, I figured i could manage.

3. I had practiced with the Verbal , Quant , IR, AWA format and so I started with verbal. I was maybe onto the 6th or 7th question (10th-12th minute) when the center admin opened the door to usher in another candidate. The new candidate occupied the third seat which was to my immediate right and also took whatever elbow room I had. The new candidate had a penchant for nodding/shaking as she took her test 9 ( as a method of focussing I believe) that completely took my concentration away. As said in GMAT guidelines the terminal was not insulated by blinds or anything. They just had some restrictive wooden frames that just got in the way of your arms.

4. The test taking room was so small, that every time the test centre admin opened the door, the door would hit on my chair and by the time I was on to the 20 th question, he had already opened the door 4 times and another candidate had also entered taking the seat to my left. This is when I noticed that the other test takers werent taking the gmat or any other test which was based on the same time schedules and hence had different break times/ section times.

5. By the end of the verbal section, I had lost my pace, concentration and was sure that I tanked my score. I went back in and started quant, by then I had made my self accustomed to the hue and cry within the tiny test taking room. Stopping short of getting incredibly angry I somehow managed to pace myself through quant and completed the IR and AWA to get a miserable score of 570! ( v25, q50). I had no option but to cancel my score.

6. Upon consultation with the nice folks at empower, I wrote to gmac regarding my ordeal on the 15th. Asking them what the proper recourse would be. Gmat wont allow me the next test until 30th August (mandatory 16 days cool down) and round 1 ends at some of the schools at 5pm on 30th! Its been 10 days now since my first mail ( had to send 3 more mails to get the right people to listen) to gmat and today I receive a mail stating that they are gonaa take another 5 days to arrive at a decision!!!

I had sincerely hoped that GMAC would be more understanding of my plight. I havent them to compensate for my marks , neither have I asked them to give me a waiver. Nonetheless I am not sensing any help from their end!
EMPOWERgmat Discount CodesJamboree Discount Codese-GMAT Discount Codes
EMPOWERgmat Instructor
V
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Re: Terrible test experience at Test centre  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Aug 2018, 17:06
Hi Rskrahulr,

From what you describe, that is a far-less-than-ideal testing environment and that's unfortunate (especially since it appears that you were poised to score at a higher level on the GMAT if you had tested under better conditions). With these sorts of situations, the 'investigation' can sometimes take up to a month (depending on the number of incidents and how busy everyone is). Since we're now into August - and more and more people are taking the GMAT - it might be that you'll have to wait a little longer to hear back.

While you are probably still a bit angry about that experience, it's important to use what you've learned to better prepare for your next attempt. The immediate question would be if there are any other Testing Facilities that you might schedule your next Test at.

As far as your applications are concerned, some Schools are willing to accept a 'late' GMAT Score as long as the rest of the application is in on time. If you still want to attempt to submit by the August 30th deadline, then you should contact each School directly, explain your situation and ask if it would be okay to send in your GMAT Score a little late.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich

760+: Learn What GMAT Assassins Do to Score at the Highest Levels
Contact Rich at: Rich.C@empowergmat.com

Rich Cohen

Co-Founder & GMAT Assassin

Special Offer: Save $75 + GMAT Club Tests Free
  Official GMAT Exam Packs + 70 Pt. Improvement Guarantee
www.empowergmat.com/

***********************Select EMPOWERgmat Courses now include ALL 6 Official GMAC CATs!***********************

Re: Terrible test experience at Test centre &nbs [#permalink] 24 Aug 2018, 17:06

Terrible test experience at Test centre

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: chetan2u, bb, EMPOWERgmatRichC

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT
HOT DEALS FOR SEPTEMBER
e-GMAT: Free 30 day Access! 25+ Video Lessons | 400+ Practice Questions | 7 Free Webinars
Economist GMAT - Free Free 1-week trial + Free Test
examPAL Full GMAT video course - Save 10%
Target Test Prep - Save $800 $50 Discount + $750 Bonus [GMAT Club
Tests and Premium MBA Bundle]
EMPOWERgmat - $85/mo GMAT Club tests included 2nd month GMAT Prep Exams 3, 4, 5 & 6
Kaplan Courses - Save $475 $225 Discount + $250 Bonus
Math Revolution - $99/3 mo Free 1-month trial + Diagnostic Test
GMAT Club Tests - Free Included with every course purchase
of $149 or more - Full List is here

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap