It is currently 14 Dec 2017, 11:07

Decision(s) Day!:

CHAT Rooms | Wharton R1 | Stanford R1 | Tuck R1 | Ross R1 | Haas R1 | UCLA R1


Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

5 KUDOS received
Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [5], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:36
5
This post received
KUDOS
6
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  35% (medium)

Question Stats:

69% (01:28) correct 31% (01:26) wrong based on 747 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England

OA after some discussion.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Last edited by ankurgupta03 on 22 Jun 2013, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Kudos [?]: 1320 [5], given: 820

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Looking to improve
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 174

Kudos [?]: 75 [3], given: 65

GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:44
3
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
IMO answer is D

B, C, and E are out since which cause the statement to be fragment.

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.
_________________

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Kudos [?]: 75 [3], given: 65

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 22:56
nt2010 wrote:
IMO answer is D

B, C, and E are out since which cause the statement to be fragment.

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.


Why is which causing the sentence to be a fragment? Can you please explain ...
Also in the sentence D, whay is its referring to, i dont see a clear antecedent for it.
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

5 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1124

Kudos [?]: 3607 [5], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 23:51
5
This post received
KUDOS
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3607 [5], given: 123

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jun 2013, 23:56
pqhai wrote:
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.


Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1124

Kudos [?]: 3607 [1], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:08
1
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "their" is incorrect. ==> British trade is singular ==> "its colonies" is correct.

B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. the meaning is distorted. It's like "Parliament passed the acts to protect Parliament's trade".

C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong.
(1) "The acts which Parliament passed" is wrong, because "the acts" is subject, "which" modifies "The acts" ==> After "which" should be verb. For example: The Acts which were passed by Parliaments.
(2) Idiom: require that X do Y ==> the "infinitive without TO" form of the verb to be is always just be, not is, are, was,...

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
Correct.
(1) "passed by Parliament....colonies" modifies "the Acts"
(2) Correct idiom: required that X be carried ......

E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
Wrong. "made it a requirement" sounds awkward.

Waiting for the OA.


Thanks pqhai for pointing out the error in E, but still i feel that there is no antecedent of its in British and even if made it a requirement sounds awkward, still due to no antecedent of its in D, i find E a better option.
Can you please clear my doubt...


Hi ankurgupta.

My thought for your doubt is:

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Please correct if I'm wrong.
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3607 [1], given: 123

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:28
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

My thought for your doubt is:

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Please correct if I'm wrong.


Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Verbal Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 15 Jun 2012
Posts: 1124

Kudos [?]: 3607 [0], given: 123

Location: United States
Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 00:33
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

My thought for your doubt is:

In the phrase "to protect Britain's trade with its colonies", "its" refers to a country - Britain very clearly.
For example: Because Mary was absent, the teacher shared Mary's lunch to her classmates.
"her" definitely refers to Mary. You cannot say "her" refers to "the teacher". That does not make sense, because "classmates" should be compared to Mary, not the teacher.

Please correct if I'm wrong.


Hi pqhai,

In the example you gave, Mary has been introduced, but it the given question, Britain has no where been talked about, its just Britain's trade, so its should refer to Britain's trade ... IMO


Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?
_________________

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3607 [0], given: 123

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 01:29
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?



Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

3 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3422

Kudos [?]: 9510 [3], given: 1203

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 07:39
3
This post received
KUDOS
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?



Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D



But your think or what you do feel about a question could not be true for the GMAT.

E really goes so far from the truth

Quote:
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England


which were passed by Parliament: is wordy, is quite clear even not considering at all the rest of the phrase

made it: it in my logic refers to the act that has no sense because tha act by itself do nothing. The act is an expression of the parliament's will, then this will is exteriorized in an act that does something in turns.......so E is incorrect though is parallel with usage of THAT

Moreover, which is wrong because which Parliament passed seems that someone other entity says to the Parliament to pass something not the parliament itself wants to pass the act. The Parliament is the vertex of a democracy so nothing is above the parliament. So the other choices have no much sense

Hope this helps you
_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS AND RESOURCES
Quant: 1. ALL GMATPrep questions Quant/Verbal 2. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 3. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 4. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version 5. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Quant Videos
Verbal:1. Verbal question bank and directories by Carcass 2. MGMAT Study Hall Thursdays with Ron Verbal Videos 3. Critical Reasoning_Oldy but goldy question banks 4. Sentence Correction_Oldy but goldy question banks 5. Reading-comprehension_Oldy but goldy question banks

Kudos [?]: 9510 [3], given: 1203

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 1439

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.35
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 08:00
carcass wrote:
ankurgupta03 wrote:
pqhai wrote:

Hi ankurgupta.

If you think "its" refers to Britain's trade, "its" will also refer to "British trade" in E? => how comes E is better than D?



Thats what ... i think that no answer is correct, i am not supporting E also ... just that i find E better than D



But your think or what you do feel about a question could not be true for the GMAT.

E really goes so far from the truth

Quote:
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England


which were passed by Parliament: is wordy, is quite clear even not considering at all the rest of the phrase

made it: it in my logic refers to the act that has no sense because tha act by itself do nothing. The act is an expression of the parliament's will, then this will is exteriorized in an act that does something in turns.......so E is incorrect though is parallel with usage of THAT

Moreover, which is wrong because which Parliament passed seems that someone other entity says to the Parliament to pass something not the parliament itself wants to pass the act. The Parliament is the vertex of a democracy so nothing is above the parliament. So the other choices have no much sense

Hope this helps you


Hi Carcass,

I agree that E is wrong, but so is D, there is not clear antecedent for its in the option D ...
_________________

ISB Preparation Kit | GMAT Debrief

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Kudos [?]: 1320 [0], given: 820

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Far, far away!
Joined: 02 Sep 2012
Posts: 1120

Kudos [?]: 2405 [1], given: 219

Location: Italy
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.8
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 08:16
1
This post received
KUDOS
Pronoun ambiguity on the GMAT is one of the most complicated topics you can find in the test.

D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,

Both "its" refer to Britain because it's the only possible noun that makes this sentence work. Example:
passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its (of the Parliament) colonies => no sense.

Even though as you say, ankurgupta03, that there is no clear clear antecedent, the meaning of the sentence is what helps you here.

Take a look at an official problem, where even thoug "they" seems ambiguos, the meaning of the sentence clarifies what it refers to: while-depressed-property-values-can-hurt-some-large-91967.html
_________________

It is beyond a doubt that all our knowledge that begins with experience.

Kant , Critique of Pure Reason

Tips and tricks: Inequalities , Mixture | Review: MGMAT workshop
Strategy: SmartGMAT v1.0 | Questions: Verbal challenge SC I-II- CR New SC set out !! , My Quant

Rules for Posting in the Verbal Forum - Rules for Posting in the Quant Forum[/size][/color][/b]

Kudos [?]: 2405 [1], given: 219

2 KUDOS received
Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 3422

Kudos [?]: 9510 [2], given: 1203

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 09:55
2
This post received
KUDOS

Kudos [?]: 9510 [2], given: 1203

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2006
Posts: 63

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 4

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 13:26
1
This post received
KUDOS
nt2010 wrote:
IMO answer is D

B, C, and E are out since which cause the statement to be fragment.

A has a pronoun error their with no antecedent. British serves as an adjective for this choice.


The Acts of Trade and Navigation, which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

If you remove the colored part the remaining is not a complete sentence and that's why it is a fragment.

But I also got D not through the fragment thing.

Kudos [?]: 16 [1], given: 4

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Looking to improve
Joined: 15 Jan 2013
Posts: 174

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 65

GMAT 1: 530 Q43 V20
GMAT 2: 560 Q42 V25
GMAT 3: 650 Q48 V31
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Jun 2013, 14:17
ankurgupta03,

To find whether a sentence is a fragment or complete sentence is to cross out the non essential modifiers - modifiers delimited by commas - and the remaining core sentence should still have a subject and verb.

In D its is a possessive pronoun referring to possessive noun Britain.

Hope this is clear.
_________________

KUDOS is a way to say Thank You

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 65

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10202

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Nov 2014, 10:01
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 01 Oct 2013
Posts: 10202

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 08:29
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 277 [0], given: 0

Board of Directors
User avatar
G
Status: QA & VA Forum Moderator
Joined: 11 Jun 2011
Posts: 3115

Kudos [?]: 1149 [0], given: 327

Location: India
GPA: 3.5
WE: Business Development (Commercial Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 18 Jul 2016, 10:38
ankurgupta03 wrote:
The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England, and that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.

A .passed by Parliament to protect British trade with their colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England
B. which Parliament passed to protect its trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
C. which Parliament passed to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies was carried on British ships, all imports to the colonies come from England
D. passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England,
E. which were passed by Parliament to protect British trade with its colonies, made it a requirement that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships, that all imports to the colonies come from England

OA after some discussion.



The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to protect Britain’s trade with its colonies, required

that all trade between England and its colonies be carried on British ships,
that all imports to the colonies come from England, and
that certain colonial exports be shipped only to England.


I can spot //ism and Correct grammatical usage here, hence answer will be (D)

_________________

Thanks and Regards

Abhishek....

PLEASE FOLLOW THE RULES FOR POSTING IN QA AND VA FORUM AND USE SEARCH FUNCTION BEFORE POSTING NEW QUESTIONS

How to use Search Function in GMAT Club | Rules for Posting in QA forum | Writing Mathematical Formulas |Rules for Posting in VA forum | Request Expert's Reply ( VA Forum Only )

Kudos [?]: 1149 [0], given: 327

Manager
Manager
avatar
B
Joined: 05 Dec 2015
Posts: 124

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 981

Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2017, 23:02
I am still uncertain why E is incorrect, can someone please help? It seems grammatically correct to me

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 981

Intern
Intern
User avatar
B
Joined: 04 Apr 2017
Posts: 17

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2017, 19:52
GMATNinja can you explain this question?
I had eliminated few options as that was after comma. I had picked B because of non-essential modifier ",which Parliament"

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 53

Re: The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2017, 19:52

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 28 posts ] 

Display posts from previous: Sort by

The Acts of Trade and Navigation, passed by Parliament to

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.