GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 08 Dec 2019, 00:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 01:29
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

74% (00:57) correct 26% (01:09) wrong based on 165 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its volunteer project expenses, nor the ways one affects the other.

(A) nor the ways one affects the other.
(B) nor how each was affected by some other.
(C) or the way where one affects the next.
(D) or the ways in which they affect one another.
(E) or the ways that each affect some other.
Retired Moderator
V
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 02:10
- didn't consider-and -nor - become double negatives. So -or - is the natural choice; among C,D and E, D is the acceptable.
Manager
Re: The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 03:44
it's between D or E,
E is yuck but THEY in D is a problem for me. Who is THEY referring to?
In A and B, the construction of NOR is wrong, you can never place the noun before the verb.
I think there is a major ambiguity in D, THEY is the subject in the subordinate clause, and the subject of the main sentence is the analyst; obviously THEY can't refer to ANALYST. Grammatically THEY is not parallel to anything except analyst.

Feruz seriously from where do you get these questions.
This question is terrible.
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:24
What did the analyst not consider? Three things: 1. the donations, 2. the project expense and 3. The ways in which these donations and project expenses affected one another. This is what D makes out IMO. The plural pronoun– They - refers to the donations and expenses.

E what does – each - stand for? Analyst? Can’t be. There is no other singular noun for the word -each - to refer to.

Secondly how correct is – each affect- a plural verb- affect - for the singular -each. - ?

Thirdly what are those -some other -. can't just decipher the - some other – E is wrong according to me

D therefore
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:32
well
using you logic, one can assume EACH can refer to donations and expenses.
and since when EACH has to refer to singular nouns, actually how can you even attach EACH to singular noun.
P.S.: I don't like E and D,
I don't like the whole question.

I could be wrong, but this is how I feel about it.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:44
d.they can refer to charitable donation
Retired Moderator
V

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 20 Oct 2010, 06:01
@Elevinty: for your question “and since when EACH has to refer to singular nouns, actually how can you even attach EACH to singular noun.”
Given below is link: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/each

If you still have any doubts, please contact me again. I have materials up to the neck on this.

Please rest assured that I am only answering your question.

Regards

Originally posted by daagh on 20 Oct 2010, 05:53.
Last edited by daagh on 20 Oct 2010, 06:01, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 05:57
In a sentence, almost all the times 'nor' comes in combination of 'neither'. Since statements A and B have "nor" with out a "neither" they can be ruled out.

Reference to 'next' in C is not logical since the sentence wasn’t intending to talk of chronology of anything.

D is more obvious because the sentence is meaning to talk of two things mentioned in the first sentence as opposed to E, where it talk of these two in relation to something else.

Ans: D
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Oct 2010, 07:38
daagh wrote:
@Elevinty: for your question “and since when EACH has to refer to singular nouns, actually how can you even attach EACH to singular noun.”
Given below is link: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/each

If you still have any doubts, please contact me again. I have materials up to the neck on this.

Please rest assured that I am only answering your question.

Regards

Perhaps I wasn't clear before or I just implied totally different meaning from what I've been trying to say.
In the link that you are providing, EACH is attached to a single noun, but that noun is a part of a group. What I was trying to say is that attaching EACH with a single noun that can't be a part of a group is clearly nonsensical, i.e., you can't say each furniture, you would say each piece of furniture.

on a personal note: am enjoying this discussion.
SVP
SVP
Concentration: Finance
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 18 Oct 2013, 09:46
feruz77 wrote:
The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its volunteer project expenses, nor the ways one affects the other.

my ans is A, pls. OA?

Answer for me is (D)
Can't have a double-negative boy.

Cheers
J :)
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2013, 23:16
I will go with D.

@elevinty: I may be wrong but I think 'they' cannot refer to the analyst because the sentence is about a single analyst - a single person. 'They' will refer to something plural which are the 2 ideas presented. If the analyst has to be referred the correct pronoun to use would be 'he/she' whatever but not 'they'.
Math Expert
V

Show Tags

New post 04 Jul 2019, 00:48
feruz77 wrote:

OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

(Quantity Word) Remember that the phrase “each other” must be used when referring to two persons or things. Whenever the number involved is more than two, the correct phrase to be used is “one another.”

The non-underlined part of the sentence talks of the company’s “donations” and “expenses,” implying more than a single donation and expense. So, the use of the phrase “each other” to refer to them is ungrammatical and (A) is wrong.

(B) and (E) also contain the same error, and can be discarded for that reason alone.

Though (C) is shorter than (D), it has the error of using the conjunction “where” (which should be used only to refer to a place) to refer to “way” (meaning “manner” in the given context). Moreover, it is not intention of the author that every donation must be compared only to the “next” not to all. So, (C) is wrong.

(D) has no error, completes a clear, cogent, unambiguous and grammatical sentence, and is the answer.
G
Concentration: Strategy, Leadership
WE: Consulting (Manufacturing)
The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Jul 2019, 06:09
Correct answer D

1st split nor/or - didn't consider with nor creates double negative A and B - out

2nd split where / in which - where can modify only places - C out

3d split one affects the next - wrong construction / each affect some other - incorrect structure / affect one another
Each other is used for two things; one another for more than two - in our case donations and projects are plural - C and E - out
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 27 Nov 2019, 10:45
I don't understand how use of nor creates a double negative when the dictionary definition is "used before the second or further of two or more alternatives (the first being introduced by a negative such as ‘neither’ or ‘not’) to indicate that they are each untrue or each do not happen".
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo   [#permalink] 27 Nov 2019, 10:45

The analyst didn’t consider the company’s charitable donations, its vo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics