Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:05 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [3]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [7]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate [#permalink]
@argha

I understand your point, but the reason I chose D was

not patriarchal, but matriarchal ... (parallelism)

rings a bell to me somehow..

even the idiom is not X, but Y

am i misunderstanding the concept?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Also, what is the problem with B.

All B,C and D looks grammatically correct to me, how to choose the best among them. Please explain.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
dixjatin wrote:
Also, what is the problem with B.

All B,C and D looks grammatically correct to me, how to choose the best among them. Please explain.

Let me try:

The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were matriarchal groups centered around worship of the Great Mother goddess.

A The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies and were Since a contrast is made, between earlier belief and later fact we need a "but".
B The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed preliterate European tribes not to be patriarchal like later societies but. We need a verb "were" after the but, it is missing. llel ism is affected and so is the meaning.
C The anthropologist Marija Gimbutas believed that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but were Correct. "were" is present, so is "but"
D It was believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas that preliterate European tribes were not patriarchal like later societies but Again "were" is missing and also passive construction which is not favoured by gmat.
E Preliterate European tribes were believed by the anthropologist Marija Gimbutas not to be patriarchal like later societies and were "but" is missing and "preliterate European tribes were believed" kind of changes the meaning, what did he believe? The European tribes or that they were patriarchal? Also passive construction.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.

Regards

Argha

IMO, Option D is wrong only because its unnecessary passive and wordy. As far as verb or lack of it is concerned, the sentence is correct.
for example The gold mines lesser known were found not in India but in Africa. The underlined "were" is understood to be there for both with the idion not X but Y.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
rajeevrks27 wrote:
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Option D is wrong because the clause starting with "but matriarchal groups ..." is a fragment and lacks a verb.

Regards

Argha

IMO, Option D is wrong only because its unnecessary passive and wordy. As far as verb or lack of it is concerned, the sentence is correct.
for example The gold mines lesser known were found not in India but in Africa. The underlined "were" is understood to be there for both with the idion not X but Y.

In the example you gave, the word 'in' replaces 'were'. Not 'in' Africa but 'in' Africa, and hence 'were' is understood to be for both.

However, in the original question, this is not then case. The word 'were' is required to compare patriarchal and matriarchal.

Hope this helps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Hi All,

I stand to correct my earlier posts on this.

As grandmaster correctly puts it, there seems to be no major error in option D.

Use of "were matriarchal" is not correct as "Not X but Y" requires X & Y to be parallel and in option D, it is maintaining that perfectly.

...were not patriarchal like later societies but matriarchal groups....

As pointed out by some, the use of passive seems to be the only error.

Experts please help.

Regards

Argha
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10010 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Expert Reply
rajeevrks27 wrote:
argha wrote:
Hi grandmaster,

Regards

Argha

Hi Rajeev,

Agree to your point. As long as clarity in meaning is not compromised, second verb can be omitted. As I also mentioned in my post, 'Use of Passive Structure' is the basic reason for the elimination of Choice D.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: International Business, Healthcare
GMAT Date: 03-03-2014
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
D,E eliminated due to the usage of passive voice...
C because of the contrast represented correctly....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts