It is currently 19 Nov 2017, 01:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 19 Nov 2007
Posts: 457

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 19:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the sinking: what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

A) what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

B) what will his life have been if he were not lured into that last, fateful voyage?

C) what would his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

D) what could his life have been had not he been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

E) what would his life be if he had only resisted the lure of that last fateful voyage?
_________________

-Underline your question. It takes only a few seconds!
-Search before you post.

Kudos [?]: 223 [0], given: 4

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 Mar 2008
Posts: 20

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 20:06
I believe its C, 'would his life have been' appears to be correct.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 2471

Kudos [?]: 855 [0], given: 19

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Jan 2009, 22:40
vscid wrote:
The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the sinking: what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?

A) what should his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?
B) what will his life have been if he were not lured into that last, fateful voyage?
C) what would his life have been if he had not been lured into that last, fateful voyage?
D) what could his life have been had not he been lured into that last, fateful voyage?
E) what would his life be if he had only resisted the lure of that last fateful voyage?


Thats C for unreal past condition.
_________________

Verbal: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: http://gmatclub.com/forum/new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: http://gmatclub.com/forum/everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html


GT

Kudos [?]: 855 [0], given: 19

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 05:30
Confused between C and D. But, I guess, D is wrong because of "had not".

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2008
Posts: 297

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 7

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 09:42
C seems to the best choice ...but not able to eliminate choice based on logic/grammar rule ..
Can anybidy elaborate the reason pls ..
_________________

"CEO in making"

Kudos [?]: 245 [0], given: 7

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Stanford GSB
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 94

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 10:51
The grammar rule is simple:

When we talk about "if" in the past, we use unreal conditionals, like this:

If you had hurried more, you wouldn't have been late for the class.

The event in the if-clause didn't actually happen, so we will use unreal conditionals of past; past perfect in the if-clause, and "would + present perfect" in the main clause.

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 4

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jan 2009, 21:57
sandipchowdhury wrote:
The grammar rule is simple:

When we talk about "if" in the past, we use unreal conditionals, like this:

If you had hurried more, you wouldn't have been late for the class.

The event in the if-clause didn't actually happen, so we will use unreal conditionals of past; past perfect in the if-clause, and "would + present perfect" in the main clause.


But, option D also meets this criteria....right?

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Status: Stanford GSB
Joined: 02 Jun 2008
Posts: 94

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 4

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2009, 01:29
I dont think so.
Option D uses "could" instead of "would".

Kudos [?]: 234 [0], given: 4

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1534

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-TITANIC [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Jan 2009, 02:27
sandipchowdhury wrote:
I dont think so.
Option D uses "could" instead of "would".

If I am not mistaken, MGMAT SC guide says that both "would" and "could" can be used in such a case.

Kudos [?]: 280 [0], given: 0

Re: SC-TITANIC   [#permalink] 19 Jan 2009, 02:27
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The brother of the Titanic's captain asked after the

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.