It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 12:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 64

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 12:58
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (00:58) correct 63% (01:02) wrong based on 358 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

A. armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
B. armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
C. armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
D. armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
E. armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

But there’s something in me that just keeps going on. I think it has something to do with tomorrow, that there is always one, and that everything can change when it comes.
http://aimingformba.blogspot.com

Kudos [?]: 248 [0], given: 64

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Status: Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business

Kudos [?]: 905 [1], given: 36

Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: SC question [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2010, 13:49
This post received
KUDOS
Between A and D

A : "in that" modifies "World War I" and doesn't modify the verb "brought". OUT

D : is perfect since it says brought respite for an unofficial ceasefire ----> "respite for" is correct

C changes the meaning because of usage of "when". You can interpret to mean that respite was brought by the armies themselves when they spread an unofficial ceasefire

Kudos [?]: 905 [1], given: 36

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 02:01
nusmavrik wrote:
Between A and D

A : "in that" modifies "World War I" and doesn't modify the verb "brought". OUT

D : is perfect since it says brought respite for an unofficial ceasefire ----> "respite for" is correct

C changes the meaning because of usage of "when". You can interpret to mean that respite was brought by the armies themselves when they spread an unofficial ceasefire

Thanks a lot, it was really good explanation

Kudos [?]: 141 [0], given: 11

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 20

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2010, 22:46
Between A and D , Chose D as it sounded better.
But thanks "nusmavrik" for an explanation that rocks !

Kudos [?]: 687 [0], given: 20

4 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3483 [4], given: 123

Premium Member
Re: The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2013, 15:43
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
2013gmat wrote:
can you plz explain the below question:
The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914.

A. armies during World War I in that an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
B. armies during World War I, spreading an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
C. armies during World War I when they spread an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
D. armies during World War I, for an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
E. armies during World War I by the spread of an unofficial ceasefire along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914

Hi 2013gmat.

First of all, meaning is key for this question. The intended meaning is: The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite because an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western.

We have: as, in that, for, because, since can be use interchangeably. But GMAT prefers precision.

Wrong. "in that" = "because", however GMAT considers "in that" over-formal. Moreover, for the same meaning, GMAT prefers more precise usage (because >>> in that)

Wrong. Modifier problem. "spreading" is Verb-ing modifier + comma ==> modifies a preceding clause. The respite did not lead to an unofficial ceasefire. Wrong meaning.

Wrong. Pronoun problem. "they" refers to whom?

Correct. "for" = "because". So D keeps the intended meaning.

Wrong. Too wordy. In addition, GMAT prefers the order V-A-N (Verb-Adjective-Noun). If you can use verb, why you use a noun? Hence, E is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3483 [4], given: 123

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 285

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2013, 01:15
pqhai wrote:
2013gmat wrote:

Hi 2013gmat.

First of all, meaning is key for this question. The intended meaning is: The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite because an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western.

We have: as, in that, for, because, since can be use interchangeably. But GMAT prefers precision.

Wrong. "in that" = "because", however GMAT considers "in that" over-formal. Moreover, for the same meaning, GMAT prefers more precise usage (because >>> in that)

Wrong. Modifier problem. "spreading" is Verb-ing modifier + comma ==> modifies a preceding clause. The respite did not lead to an unofficial ceasefire. Wrong meaning.

Wrong. Too wordy. In addition, GMAT prefers the order V-A-N (Verb-Adjective-Noun). If you can use verb, why you use a noun? Hence, E is incorrect.

Hope it helps.

What's wrong with E ?
Can we use V-A-N here, i mean in D. its A-N-V i think. Can you please give some examples for the correct usage of VAN.
thanks

Kudos please!

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 285

1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 3483 [1], given: 123

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 17 Aug 2013, 11:40
This post received
KUDOS
2013gmat wrote:

What's wrong with E ?
Can we use V-A-N here, i mean in D. its A-N-V i think. Can you please give some examples for the correct usage of VAN.
thanks

Hi mate.

D is better than E because:
in D: the second clause is: for/because an unofficial ceasefire spread along the Western Front on Christmas Eve, 1914
Main verb is "spread"

However, in E: "the spread" is noun. Clearly, verb always conveys better meaning than the noun from does.

*If you can use verb, --> let use verb, because verb form will convey better idea than noun form (of the verb) and be more concise.

For example: Verb is better than Noun.
Wordy: The townpeople's REVOLUTION WAS AGAINST the king.
Better: The townpeople REVOLTED AGAINST the king

For example: Adjective is better than Noun
Wordy: THERE IS AN ABUNDANCE OF funds for school construction
Better: Funds for school construction ARE ABUNDANT.

In short, GMAT prefer the order VERB >> ADJECTIVE >> NOUN

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMW Chief of Design.

Kudos [?]: 3483 [1], given: 123

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Sep 2015, 09:39
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

Kudos [?]: 264 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 02 Sep 2017, 09:41
pqhai wrote:
2013gmat wrote:

Hi 2013gmat.

Hope it helps.

Spreading or any ing modifier modifies the preceding clause and the subject of the main clause takes ownership of the ing word.Hence it is Christmas that will work on Spreading isnt it.

Let say if we write spreading a ceasefile , Christmas gave soldiers some rest. Please clarify

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Re: The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing   [#permalink] 02 Sep 2017, 09:41

The Christmas holiday brought a brief respite to opposing

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap