GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 16 Jul 2018, 01:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2010, 18:02
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

85% (hard)

Question Stats:

38% (01:00) correct 62% (00:55) wrong based on 746 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive forked sticks and wooden hoes to sow barley, millet, and summer wheat successfully, which archaeology indicates that they did

which archaeology indicates that they did
which they did, according to archaeology
as archaeological findings indicate that they did
as is indicated by archaeology
as is archaeologically found to be the case

Please explain your answer

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Most Helpful Community Reply
16 KUDOS received
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Schools: MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Re: archarology [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2010, 07:41
This is a great opportunity to talk about "noun modifiers" and "adverbial modifiers."

A noun modifier typically starts with a comma and then a relative pronoun such as "which, who, that". In contrast, an adverbial modifier often starts with a comma and then a past participle (ending in -ed or -ing).

Noun modifiers (as seen as in A and B above):

Noun modifiers (i.e. modifiers that modify nouns) must TOUCH the word they are modifying.

It doesn't matter whether they come before or after the noun, but they must touch it. If the noun modifier doesn't touch the noun it is trying to modify, that answer choice is grammatically incorrect.

Here are a few examples:

"I read the book, which had a green cover." --> Correct. "Which had a green cover" modifies "the book" so they need to touch.
"I read the book you gave me, which had a green cover." --> Incorrect. "Which had a green cover" modifiers "me" in this example.

"A very nice man, my uncle gave $1,000 to charity yesterday." --> Correct. Although this will sound a little too Yoda-like for many people, the modifiers "A very nice man" correctly modifiers "my uncle."
"A very nice man, yesterday my uncle gave $1,000 to charity." -->Incorrect. Here, "yesterday" is "a very nice man."

Adverbial modifiers, on the other hand, do not need to touch the verb or clause they are modifying. Example:

"I ran to the house, swinging my arms" --> The modifier "swinging my arms" is an adverbial modifier because it is modifying the way I was running (i.e. it is modifying the verb "ran"). Here's a good clue that you're looking at an adverbial modifier: it starts with a past participle such as "swinging" or "considered" or "wondering". Notice how the -ing and -ed endings give this away.

Here's the point: Your first question about modifiers should be "what is it trying to modify?" If it's modifying a verb, phrase, or clause, then it's an adverbial modifier. If it's modifying a single noun, then it's a noun modifier. (Often, a noun modifier on the GMAT will mistakenly modify the wrong thing. For example: "The house where my mother lives, which is green, has two bedrooms." Here, "which is green" does not touch the noun "house." As a result, this example is incorrect.)

Once you've narrowed it down to D,C, and E using this clear grammatical rule, you can follow the logic listed by others in this thread as to how to choose a final answer.

Good luck!

Brett

Brett Beach-Kimball | Manhattan GMAT Instructor

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Reviews

General Discussion
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 13 Nov 2010, 23:26
picked C and turned out to be the right answer

it was b/w D and C

Now b/w D and C - really in daily language we might well say it as in D. But the GMAT is of course always concerned about the little silly details

D says as is indicated "by archaeology" ---
This means that these forks etc were used as is indicated by archaeology --- this sounds illogical --- the field of study could not have told them how to use forks etc in the past!

C says - the findings indicated that that the forks etc were used. This is confirmatory in nature. they did use forks etc. as the findings indicate that they did use them... "as" is is used here more like a "because" --- this makes sense and is the correct answer
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 15 Nov 2010, 10:21
+1 For Brett and Gmat1011
Thanks alot

I'm the Dumbest of All !!

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2010, 22:04
Thank you so much Brett! By the way, can "whose" modify anything other than a person? I will see if i can find the thread somewhere.
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 16 Nov 2010, 22:07
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-21-2011

Show Tags

New post 01 Sep 2011, 09:57
Quote:
The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive forked sticks and wooden hoes to sow barley, millet, and summer wheat successfully, which archaeology indicates that they did

A. which archaeology indicates that they did
B. which they did, according to archaeology
C. as archaeological findings indicate that they did
D. as is indicated by archaeology
E. as is archaeologically found to be the case

Answer: C
The logic I followed was: Archaelogy, by itself, will not indicate that early inhabitants used primitive forked sticks etc to sow barley etc. However, archaeological findings will. As such, C stood out to me. Read it together with the question stem and it sounds congruent and logical without altering the underlying meaning of original statement.

"The best day of your life is the one on which you decide your life is your own. No apologies or excuses. No one to lean on, rely on, or blame. The gift is yours - it is an amazing journey - and you alone are responsible for the quality of it. This is the day your life really begins." - Bob Moawab

1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
P
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jun 2016, 17:24
Guys M still confused b/w C and E, can some one help me out here.

Thanks!
Do give some kudos.

Simple strategy:
“Once you’ve eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”

Best Gmat Resource:
GmatPrep CR|GmatPrep SC|GmatPrep RC

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
G
Schools: HHL Leipzig
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE: Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 27 Jun 2016, 02:06
aragonn wrote:
Guys M still confused b/w C and E, can some one help me out here.

The usage "archaeologically found" is wrong. The adverb "archaeologically" refers to the verb "found". The awkwardness will probably be clear when examining the following question:

How was it found?.. archeologically.

This awkward adverb usage makes E wrong.
Non-Human User
Premium Member
Re: The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2018, 02:55
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

Re: The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive   [#permalink] 08 Jul 2018, 02:55

The early inhabitants of the Nile Valley used primitive

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap