It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 04:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 1

The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 21:59
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:21) correct 37% (01:07) wrong based on 67 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas of the world underpopulated, while creating large concentrations of population in expanding cities, have had concomitant social effects such as causing family authority structures to weaken and to transform religious practices.

A) have had concomitant social effects such as causing family authority structures to weaken and to transform religious practices
B) have had concomitant social effects such as the weakening of family authority structures and transforming religious practice
C) has had concomitant social effects such as weak family authority structures and transformed religious practices
D) had concomitant social effects that caused family authority structures to become weaker and religious practices to transform
E) have had concomitant social effects such as the weakening of family authority structures and the transformation of religious practices
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Kudos [?]: 5 [1], given: 1

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 76

Re: The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Aug 2017, 23:02
OE please

Is B eliminated only because it says 'practice' and not 'practices'*?
Am I missing out on any Paralleism error here

Posted from my mobile device

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 76

Manager
Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GPA: 3.2
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User
The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 08:25
akshata19 wrote:
OE please

Is B eliminated only because it says 'practice' and not 'practices'*?
Am I missing out on any Paralleism error here

there is one more bigger diff , i felt that is the main reason of elimination of option B :

B) have had concomitant social effects such as the weakening of family authority structures and transforming religious practice : weakening of family is not parallel to transforming religious ....i dont remember the grammatical name of each
E) have had concomitant social effects such as the weakening of family authority structures and the transformation of religious practices

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 40

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 11:16
in the option E - is the list parralel ?

Sent from my Redmi 4 using GMAT Club Forum mobile app

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Show Tags

New post 16 Aug 2017, 17:38
The answer choice (E) corrects the Parallelism mistake in the original question by eliminating the redundant word causing and creating a parallelism of two nouns (the weakening and the transformation).
What helps us identify this question as a Parallelism question as well as identify the mistake is the following
A and/or/but B
When you identify this structure, make sure it follows these rules:
1. A and B must be of the same part of speech.
2. A and B must be logically parallel.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: The economic processes of urbanization that have left many rural areas   [#permalink] 16 Aug 2017, 17:38