GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Aug 2019, 02:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Math Expert
V
The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 07:48
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

55% (hard)

Question Stats:

66% (02:21) correct 34% (02:24) wrong based on 239 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures of certain angles are indicated. If all lines shown are straight and intersect as shown, is road PQ parallel to road RS ?

(1) b = 2a
(2) c = 3a

DS31602.01
Quantitative Review 2020 NEW QUESTION

Attachment:
2019-04-26_1847.png
2019-04-26_1847.png [ 11.44 KiB | Viewed 1709 times ]

Re: The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Apr 2019, 11:11
The Logical approach to this question would start with the fact that each of the triangles and the point in which they 'touch' (T) all provide the same equation: a+b+c=180. We'll use the Logical rule that when there are more variables than equations, there's an infinite number of possible solutions. Now, since each of the two statements only eliminates one of the variables, we'll need both of them to find the exact size of the angles.
Note: there's no need to find what this size is, since with the exact value we can definitely answer the question (either 'Yes!' or 'No!'), so there's enough information.

Posted from my mobile device
The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 21 Jul 2019, 13:32
The Precise approach would start off using the equations a+b+c=180 and b=2a.This gives us: a+2a+c=180, which is not enough to find neither a nor c. Answer choices (A) and (D) are eliminated.
In the same way, if we take a+b+c=180 and c=3a,we'll get a+b+3a=180, which is not enough to find neither a nor b. Answer choice (B) is eliminated.
Using both statements we'll get a+2a+3a=180, so 6a=180, and thus a=30. Now, since c=90 the lines are indeed parallel (the sum of the two adjacent angles, both c, is 180). This means that both statements together are enough.

Posted from my mobile device

Originally posted by DavidTutorexamPAL on 26 Apr 2019, 11:23.
Last edited by DavidTutorexamPAL on 21 Jul 2019, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.3
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2019, 12:25
If PQ and RS are two parallel lines, thus making the line across them a transversal line, then the sum of the two adjacent angels must be equal,
=> c=180–c
=> 2c=180
=>c=90
Thus, if c=90, PQ and RS must be parallel.

So, we have to check if c=90.

1) No way to find the value of c.
2) No way to find the value of c.
3) Using 1) and 2) we can find the value of c, which comes out to be 90. Thus, C is the answer.
S
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 27 Jul 2019, 12:35
We can prove two lines are parallel if we know Angle C i.e. if C=90 then parallel else No

1. b=2a. No info about c. Not Sufficient
2. c=3a. No infor about b. Not Sufficient

On combining, we can get values of all a,b and c
Sufficient.

Hence C

I am on a journey. Gradually I'll there..!!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures   [#permalink] 27 Jul 2019, 12:35

The figure above shows a portion of a road map on which the measures

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics