It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The first sentence is a belief against which evidence is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

The first sentence is a belief against which evidence is [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2009, 17:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

“The first sentence is a belief against which evidence is offered…”
The above appears in one of the answer choices in a Critical Reasoning question. What does the word ‘against’ mean in this context? Is it saying that there is evidence that proves the belief is WRONG?

I understand the core meaning of the word ‘against’ is basically ‘opposition to’, however there are so many more meanings in the dictionary…for example, ‘in preparation for’.

I feel that I can’t really do the verbal section without fully understand the word, so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Re: A critical word in CR questions [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 07:52
“The first sentence is a belief against which evidence is offered…”

The first sentence is a belief - a thought, a set of ideas etc. For example- people believing that the earth is flat.
"..against which evidence is offered..." this says that proofs/evidences are offered against the first sentence. Perhaps, in the next sentence it is mentioned that "If one man starts his journey from one place in the earth and travels for a long time in a straight line, he will eventually reach the same point, proving that the earth is round".

It is a little confusing, but this is what I got from that..

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 1

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 16:15
Thanks whatthehell for your reply.
Just to make sure I've fully understood you -- the evidence is offered to prove the first sentence is correct, not to prove that it is wrong, right?
I think I got confused because the word 'against' normally means opposing something...

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 29 Jul 2009, 17:45
i've got another example that appeared in one of the GMAT practice tests:

In the argument given, the two portions in boldface play which if the following roles?

a. The first is an explanation that the argument chalenges; the second is evidence that has been used against an alternative explanation that the argument defends.

I think in this context the evidence (second sentence) actually proves the 'alternative explanation' WRONG, not RIGHT.

Not sure if the usage of 'agaist' here is exactly the same as the first question.

Re: A critical word in CR questions   [#permalink] 29 Jul 2009, 17:45

The first sentence is a belief against which evidence is

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderators: GMATNinjaTwo, GMATNinja

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap