GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Sep 2018, 01:35

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large econo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large econo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 13 Apr 2014, 05:50
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

67% (00:57) correct 33% (01:05) wrong based on 223 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large economic recession in 2008 caused housing prices to drop precipitously, which lead to the writing down of mortgage backed securities, and, to fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral.
A)which lead to the writing down of mortgage backed securities, and, to fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral
B)which led to the write downs of mortgage backed securities and fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral
C)which lead to the write down of mortgage backed securities and the fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral
D)leading to write downs of mortgage backed securities and fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral
E)leading to write downs of mortgage backed securities and, fears of a Great Depression-like downward spiral

Originally posted by virinchiwiwo on 13 Apr 2014, 04:46.
Last edited by virinchiwiwo on 13 Apr 2014, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Re: The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large econo  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 04:49
Source : Platinum GMAT

Could someone please explain when is the usage of 'which' in a sentence is appropriate? And when should we use 'that' instead of 'which'? Thank you
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 610 Q49 V25
GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:11
virinchiwiwo wrote:
Source : Platinum GMAT

Could someone please explain when is the usage of 'which' in a sentence is appropriate? And when should we use 'that' instead of 'which'? Thank you

[quote="virinchiwiwo"]Source : Platinum GMAT

'which' is a relative pronoun that modifies the preceding noun or noun phrase.
In the above case we need to state the result of the preceding clause i.e. modify the entire clause, so a verb-ing modifier preceded by a comma should follow the main clause.
Also comma is not required in a list of 2 items joined by 'and'.
I will go with option (d)

If anything above makes any sense to you, please let me and others know by hitting the "+1 KUDOS" button

Director
Director
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:45
if the answer is indeed B ,which is told by the original poster ,then i feel that its wrong .
B cannot be correct
my take wud be D
"which" is definitely wrong here
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 13 Apr 2014, 05:52
My Bad guys, am sorry. I chose B and I confused it with the official answer which indeed is D (guess i used 'which' properly here :), modifying the preceding noun ). Corrected the official answer to D
Non-Human User
Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 02 Feb 2018, 00:25
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

-
April 2018: New Forum dedicated to Verbal Strategies, Guides, and Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large econo &nbs [#permalink] 02 Feb 2018, 00:25

The flood of home foreclosures that followed the large econo

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap