GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Aug 2018, 19:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

VP
VP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Nov 2009, 16:35
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

74% (01:00) correct 26% (00:57) wrong based on 1467 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Most Helpful Expert Reply
Retired Moderator
D
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Re: The Gorton-Dodd  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 16 Sep 2011, 09:45
(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks --- a bank –their – subject pronoun number disagreement
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check ------ same as A
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks --- right use of present subjunctive mood template ' X requires that Y do ' and Pronoun agreement --- disclose is the imperative base form of the subjunctive verb --- correct choice.
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check –---- right idiom is x requires Y to do . ‘X requires that Y should’ is wrong use of subjunctive mood verb as well as idiomatic format
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed --- Here the problem is more logical than structural. Certainly, it does not have to do with 'their' but with the singular check. Do the customers all present their own individual checks or do they present a single joint check? Doesn’t meet logic, does it?

you can know a lot about something and not really understand it."-- a quote
No one knows this better than a GMAT student does.
Narendran +9198845 44509

General Discussion
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 01 Jan 2017, 10:17
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed

It's discussed in other places and I am not convinced w/ the explanation.

I would like to understand if "a bank disclose" is correct? A bank is singular and should follow discloses IMV..... Thoughts??

Originally posted by schandok on 24 Aug 2011, 19:46.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 01 Jan 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined the required part
Director
Director
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Aug 2011, 02:38
schandok wrote:

I would like to understand if "a bank disclose" is correct? A bank is singular and should follow discloses IMV..... Thoughts??

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that => signals Subjunctive usage.

The verb rule for subjunctive is :
The present tense of the subjunctive uses only the base form of the verb.

Thats why we need disclose(base form) instead of discloses.

Check out bb's reply in the following post:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/subjunctive-and-use-of-that-with-simple-verb-form-79606.html

Crick
Retired Moderator
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 21 Dec 2011, 03:21
schandok wrote:

This is subjunctive mood. Subjunctive mood is divided into 2 kinds: Hypothetical subjunctive and Command subjunctive. This case is command subjunctive mood that is used with some verb called Bossy Verb such as require, demand, request, mandate, suggest, recommend, or propose...

Rules for posting in verbal gmat forum, read it before posting anything in verbal forum
Giving me + 1 kudos if my post is valuable with you :)

The more you like my post, the more you share to other's need

CR: Focus of the Week: Must be True Question

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40

Show Tags

New post 01 Jan 2013, 04:07

This question tests subjunctive rule and subject-verb agreement:

Lets analyze original sentence:

Subject-verb agreement: the singular subject ''a bank'' must have a singular verb ''its'' but in this sentence we have ''their and they'' as highlighted in italics.
Subjunctive rule: require when followed by that requires that the following verb should be in its base form (disclose instead of discloses). Though we don't have subjunctive usage error in original sentence. We will look at it in other answer choices.

Now lets POE:

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks --> SV error as explained above: eliminate
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check --> SV error as explained above: eliminate
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks--> both SV and subjunctive verb correctly used correct
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check --> voilates subjunctive rule.. cannot use should
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed --> awkwardly placed ''their deposited check''

Hope it clarifies!

Best Regards,
Mansoor

PS:Consider kudos if you found it helpful
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 06 Jan 2014, 11:14
noboru wrote:

C: We know that "it" refers to the bank, because the sentence says "its customers", which implicity means bank and not "bill". So, using "its" later on is not ambiguous, we already know that "it" refers to bank and not bill.

E) "to customers" is ambiguous because we do not know WHOSE customers we're talking about. A/B out because bank needs singular and they include "their", D out because "bill requires a bank that it SHOULD".. It requires that banks should? Makes no sense.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 05:38
Bank (singular) + Disclose (Plural) .. isn't there a problem with this usage ?
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2014, 09:19
hellonavin wrote:
Bank (singular) + Disclose (Plural) .. isn't there a problem with this usage ?

In subjunctive statements, we are required to use:
a. simple present tense form (for example: 'disclose')
b. always singular irrespective of the subject.
c. No "should" is to be added.

Just to explain subjunctive means demand or command verb like 'requires', 'ordered'. Here is the format:

Demanding verb (such as requires, ordered, etc) + THAT + ROOT form verb or BE (simple tense form such as 'disclose' above)

Some other examples from web are:

The Supreme Court decreed that he TAKE charge of the situation
I insist that the chairman resign!
I suggest that he study
The attorney proposed that the session be adjourned until the following day

Hope it helps

Cheers
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Technology, Marketing
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2014, 00:59

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks - Plural Pronoun for singular noun

(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check- Plural Pronoun and subjunctive structure error

(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks - Correct choice

(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check - subjunctive structure error- Explained below

(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed - whose customers, Also Wordy

Require is subjunctive it must follow - subjunctive + That + Subject + Be verb
- So B and D are out due to this error only

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 05:32
I was solving this question yesterday and my approach was to see at - disclose (a verb) after a bank. As a bank is singular, should not disclose be discloses to make it singualar.

But I end up picking choice E using this approach which is wrong.

Can somebody please explain why disclose (verb) in plural form is correct here?

Also, do all verbs follow this rule - Singular (ends with 's) & Plural (as it is)?

Thanks.
Director
Director
G

Show Tags

New post 15 Jan 2015, 09:31
nishant.1987 wrote:

Hi Nishant, this sentence uses (what's called) subjunctive construct. Hence, this sentence uses the verb disclose after a singular subject bank.

Perhaps you would have come across sentences such as:

Teacher suggested that James better study hard.

Again study is used after singular subject James.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.

Thanks,
Ashish
EducationAisle, Bangalore

Sentence Correction Nirvana available on Amazon.in and Flipkart

Now! Preview the entire Grammar Section of Sentence Correction Nirvana at pothi.com

Board of Directors
P
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 16 Apr 2015, 11:27
noboru wrote:

pronouns their/they does not agree in number with the subject "a bank". furthermore, it changes the meaning, stating that customers delay access to funds. this is illogical

same error as in A
requires needs a that clause to describe what is required.

correct answer. its/it correctly refers to "a bank"

should in subjunctive mood is incorrect

passive voice is not preferable
pronoun their is ambiguous. it can refer to both banks and customers.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: Not afraid of failures, disappointments, and falls.
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
WE: Operations (Telecommunications)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 06:25
Top Contributor
nishant.1987 wrote:
I was solving this question yesterday and my approach was to see at - disclose (a verb) after a bank. As a bank is singular, should not disclose be discloses to make it singualar.

Also, do all verbs follow this rule - Singular (ends with 's) & Plural (as it is)?

Thanks.

I also negated C because of "disclose" instead of "discloses" and went for D, which is wrong. But I found following about Subjunctive Mood

"A verb is in the subjunctive mood when it expresses a condition which is doubtful or not factual. It is most often found in a clause beginning with the word if. It is also found in clauses following a verb that expresses a doubt, a wish, regret, request, demand, or proposal."

And, here it was a demand that a bank disclose .... to its customers.

And, also see the following link too " http://grammarist.com/grammar/subjunctive-mood/ "

"I choose to rise after every fall"
Target=770
http://challengemba.blogspot.com
Kudos??

Board of Directors
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 10 Sep 2016, 09:28
nishant.1987 wrote:

Thanks.

Require is a subjunctive verb. So, it always takes a plural verb after 'that' no matter the subject is singular or plural.

Go through the below link, it may help you understand the concept.

http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/gmat-gramm ... ive-tense/

My GMAT Story: From V21 to V40
My MBA Journey: My 10 years long MBA Dream
My Secret Hacks: Best way to use GMATClub | Importance of an Error Log!
Verbal Resources: All SC Resources at one place | All CR Resources at one place
Blog: Subscribe to Question of the Day Blog

GMAT Club Inbuilt Error Log Functionality - View More.
New Visa Forum - Ask all your Visa Related Questions - here.

New! Best Reply Functionality on GMAT Club!

Find a bug in the new email templates and get rewarded with 2 weeks of GMATClub Tests for free

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 17 Jul 2018, 01:28
C

A & B are wrong --USE of 'they'

D - bill requires a bank ---> is NOT logical here; correct is ----> bill requires that a bank should do something

E - 'their funds' is confusing here b/w banks and customers
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their &nbs [#permalink] 17 Jul 2018, 01:28

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap