Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Subject Verb Agreementx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8529 [135]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:CBS
 Q50  V37
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [54]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [10]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [1]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers [#permalink]
Bookmarks
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed

It's discussed in other places and I am not convinced w/ the explanation.

I would like to understand if "a bank disclose" is correct? A bank is singular and should follow discloses IMV..... Thoughts??

Originally posted by schandok on 24 Aug 2011, 19:46.
Last edited by Skywalker18 on 01 Jan 2017, 10:17, edited 1 time in total.
Underlined the required part
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [6]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
schandok wrote:
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

It's discussed in other places and I am not convinced w/ the explanation.

I would like to understand if "a bank disclose" is correct? A bank is singular and should follow discloses IMV..... Thoughts??

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that => signals Subjunctive usage.

The verb rule for subjunctive is :
The present tense of the subjunctive uses only the base form of the verb.

Thats why we need disclose(base form) instead of discloses.

Check out bb's reply in the following post:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/subjunctive-and-use-of-that-with-simple-verb-form-79606.html

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Bank (singular) + Disclose (Plural) .. isn't there a problem with this usage ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I was solving this question yesterday and my approach was to see at - disclose (a verb) after a bank. As a bank is singular, should not disclose be discloses to make it singualar.

But I end up picking choice E using this approach which is wrong.

Can somebody please explain why disclose (verb) in plural form is correct here?

Also, do all verbs follow this rule - Singular (ends with 's) & Plural (as it is)?

Thanks.
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nishant.1987 wrote:
Can somebody please explain why disclose (verb) in plural form is correct here?

Hi Nishant, this sentence uses (what's called) subjunctive construct. Hence, this sentence uses the verb disclose after a singular subject bank.

Perhaps you would have come across sentences such as:

Teacher suggested that James better study hard.

Again study is used after singular subject James.

p.s. Our book EducationAisle Sentence Correction Nirvana discusses Subjunctive, its application and examples in significant detail. If someone is interested, PM me your email-id, I can mail the corresponding section.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 496
Send PM
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers [#permalink]
VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Why E is incorrect?
I understand that C conveys a clear meaning, but I did not find meaning conveyed by E illogical.
Can you please help?

Thanks!
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64880 [4]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Sneha2021 wrote:
VeritasKarishma GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja

Why E is incorrect?
I understand that C conveys a clear meaning, but I did not find meaning conveyed by E illogical.
Can you please help?

Thanks!

When the customers deposit a check, the bank transfers the check amount in the customer's account in a few days.
As per the bill, the bank needs to disclose to its customers how long this time period will be i.e. the bank needs to tell the customers whether the access will happen after 1 day or 2 days or 3 days etc.

(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed

First of all, customers will deposit individual checks (check should be plural).
Secondly, this seems to convey that 'the bank needs to disclose how long access is to be delayed' as if somehow the customers need to delay the access.
Instead, the bank needs to disclose how long it will delay the access - how long the bank will delay the access. Hence (C) is correct and (E) is not.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7624 [3]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Bookmarks
Top Contributor

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check

A quick scan of the options shows us the use of singular and plural pronouns- “it” and “they”.
As we are talking about the bank’s customers, we must use the singular pronoun “it” to refer to the bank.
Eliminate A and B.

“Requires that” should follow the rule for command subjunctive. Hence we cannot use “should disclose”. Eliminate D.

Option E distorts the meaning- how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed
As we are talking about the checks deposited by customers, we should use the plural- "checks" and not the singular- "check"
Eliminate E

Option C corrects the grammatical and meaning errors present in other options.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM