It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 11:04

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
GMAT Instructor
avatar
Joined: 04 Jul 2006
Posts: 1259

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 0

Location: Madrid
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2006, 07:29
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 3 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

This topic is locked. If you want to discuss this question please re-post it in the respective forum.

The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 6.3*10^-3% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A) 16,000 (B)40,000 (C) 80,000 (D) 100,000 (E) 160,000

Kudos [?]: 335 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 May 2006
Posts: 258

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 23 Sep 2006, 09:33
C

since height of 5 women is more than 4 SD of mean,

6.3/1000 % of population = 5
so population = 80000 approximately.

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Jul 2006
Posts: 90

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2006, 13:00
E

There should be 10 women, outside 4 times the SD, 5 above 184 cm and 5 below 136 cm.

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
B
Joined: 29 Jan 2005
Posts: 5206

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 24 Sep 2006, 15:53
kevincan wrote:
nischalb wrote:
E

There should be 10 women, outside 4 times the SD, 5 above 184 cm and 5 below 136 cm.


Good point! OA=E


Originally chose (C), but now (E) sounds plausible becuase we are working with a "normal distribution." The five women over 184cm are not "outliers" and therefore need to be balanced off with five women under 136cm to achieve the stated mean of 160.

10=.0063*0.01x

Why doesn't the straightforward math work out? Missing a decimal somewhere?

Kudos [?]: 434 [0], given: 0

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 28 Mar 2006
Posts: 1367

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Oct 2006, 08:38
kevincan wrote:
nischalb wrote:
E

There should be 10 women, outside 4 times the SD, 5 above 184 cm and 5 below 136 cm.


Good point! OA=E


can someone explain this please...Im lost

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2005
Posts: 264

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Location: Sing/ HK
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2006, 06:15
How do you work out 10^-3%?

I know it equals 1/ 10^(3/100) but don't know what to do after that...
_________________

Impossible is nothing

Kudos [?]: 56 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 171

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Location: paris
 [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Oct 2006, 07:59
Let 6.3*10^-3% =A%, so A%=6.3/10^3

so A%=10 people
since A%=A/100, so A =10^3*(10/6,3)*10^2=1,6*10^5=160 000

hope it helps...
_________________

time is not on my side

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 286

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2008, 11:10
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 0.0063% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A)16,000
(B)40,000
(C)80,000
(D)100,000
(E)160,000

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 Sep 2007
Posts: 782

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 0

Re: Interesting Standard Deviation [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 20 May 2008, 11:29
mbawaters wrote:
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 0.0063% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A)16,000
(B)40,000
(C)80,000
(D)100,000
(E)160,000


E

5 wowen are taller than 4 standard deviations. But with a normal distribution, 5 women should also be shorter than 4 standard deviations. 10 women is 0.0063% of the population, approximately 160000 women in the population.

tricky question, I forgot about the other side of the distribution the first time I tried to solve the problem. This is not so much a math question, it is a "test your attention to details question".

Kudos [?]: 237 [0], given: 0

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 11 May 2008
Posts: 555

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:08
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 0.0063% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A)16,000
(B)40,000
(C)80,000
(D)100,000
(E)160,000

is not within one D, 68%, within 1D to 2D, 28% and 2D to 3D , 4% occur? so here , the given sample lies outside the normal curve is it?

Kudos [?]: 222 [0], given: 0

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 541

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 0

Re: normal distribution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:38
arjtryarjtry wrote:
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 0.0063% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A)16,000
(B)40,000
(C)80,000
(D)100,000
(E)160,000

is not within one D, 68%, within 1D to 2D, 28% and 2D to 3D , 4% occur? so here , the given sample lies outside the normal curve is it?


5 women more than 184 ( 160 + 4*6 : mean + 4*SD)
5 women must be less than 160-24 ... since normal distribution is same on both sides of mean

total women outside 4*SD = 10 as per Question stem this is 0.0063% of total population X
X * 0.0063 % = 10
X = 10000000/63 = 160,000 .... Option E

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 205

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Re: normal distribution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 11:58
durgesh79 wrote:
arjtryarjtry wrote:
The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution with mean 160 cm and standard deviation of 6 cm. In a normal distribution, only 0.0063% of the population is not within 4 standard deviations of the mean. If 5 women are more than 184 cm tall, approximately how many women live in Dewaria?

(A)16,000
(B)40,000
(C)80,000
(D)100,000
(E)160,000

is not within one D, 68%, within 1D to 2D, 28% and 2D to 3D , 4% occur? so here , the given sample lies outside the normal curve is it?



5 women more than 184 ( 160 + 4*6 : mean + 4*SD)
5 women must be less than 160-24 ... since normal distribution is same on both sides of mean

total women outside 4*SD = 10 as per Question stem this is 0.0063% of total population X
X * 0.0063 % = 10
X = 10000000/63 = 160,000 .... Option E



While i agree the answer is 160K, I am not sure if gmat expects you to know the symmetrical nature of normal distribution. The question should have explicitly stated that normal dist. is symmetrical about the mean.
Don't you agree ?

Kudos [?]: 68 [0], given: 0

Expert Post
GMAT Tutor
avatar
B
Joined: 24 Jun 2008
Posts: 1339

Kudos [?]: 1955 [0], given: 6

Re: normal distribution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 30 Jul 2008, 12:27
bhushangiri wrote:
While i agree the answer is 160K, I am not sure if gmat expects you to know the symmetrical nature of normal distribution. The question should have explicitly stated that normal dist. is symmetrical about the mean.
Don't you agree ?


Yes, I agree- you aren't expected to know the properties of the normal distribution on the GMAT. I'm curious where the original question is from.
_________________

GMAT Tutor in Toronto

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com

Kudos [?]: 1955 [0], given: 6

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 27 May 2008
Posts: 541

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 0

Re: normal distribution [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 31 Jul 2008, 00:14
IanStewart wrote:
bhushangiri wrote:
While i agree the answer is 160K, I am not sure if gmat expects you to know the symmetrical nature of normal distribution. The question should have explicitly stated that normal dist. is symmetrical about the mean.
Don't you agree ?


Yes, I agree- you aren't expected to know the properties of the normal distribution on the GMAT. I'm curious where the original question is from.



most probably this is a question from India's MBA entrance exam for IIMs ... the place mentioned in the question "Dewaria" is an actual place in India .... (not well known though )

Kudos [?]: 363 [0], given: 0

Re: normal distribution   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2008, 00:14
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The height of women in Dewaria follows a normal distrubution

  post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.