Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [37]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [26]
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [2]
Given Kudos: 18
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The idea that earth was a ball of expanding mass never drew [#permalink]
can someone explain to me why A is not correct?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
The fact is that earth was a ball of expanding mass in the past, is a ball of expanding mass now and will be an expanding mass in the future. This is a universal fact, and has to be expressed in simple present. A uses the past tense was instead. Hence wrong.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [2]
Given Kudos: 70
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
Send PM
Kudos
b/w B and E

We need past perfect to clarify time sequence but its optional if its clear from context.

In B, we have word until ----. So we know the sequence,

1. the concept of drift itself was ignored
2. physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

Can anyone help me why I am wrong.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Rukna wrote
Quote:
b/w B and E

We need past perfect to clarify time sequence but its optional if it is clear from context.

In B, we have word until ----. So we know the sequence,

1. the concept of drift itself was ignored
2. physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

Can anyone help me why I am wrong.

I agree with you that it is optional; Optional means one has the choice either to use it or leave it. It doesn’t mean one should not do it. I chose to use it, because the past perfect renders the sequence explicit while not using it may leave it implicit. In addition, there are a number of instances in official GMAT in which the past perfect in spite of the presence sequence - markers is still used.
Please look at the following example

She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to her native Germany, photographer Lotte Jacobi nevertheless earned a small group of discerning admirers, and her photographs were eventually exhibited in prestigious galleries across the United States.

A) She was less successful after she had emigrated to New York compared to

B) Being less successful after she had emigrated to New York as compared to

C) Less successful after she emigrated to New York than she had been in

D) Although she was less successful after emigrating to New York when compared to

E) She had been less successful after emigrating to New York than in

Ans : C. The sequence marker ‘ after’ is very much there in C; still the OA uses the past perfect ‘had been’.
There are many more such instances. So, I thought it would be crystal clear to use the past perfect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 238 [0]
Given Kudos: 1103
Send PM
I was able to get down to B and E relatively quickly but I choose B instead. As Daagh sir said, "Even if there is more the one event, say two, three or four, you can not mark all of them with past perfect. At least, one function should be there in simple past, naturally the last of the events, to expose the chronological difference", why is option B incorrect then? If we should use a simple past, shouldn't B be correct then (was instead of had been)? The reason why I eliminate option E because I assumed that we didn't need to use past perfect in the last perfect of the sentence. Could any of you guys please help? Would immensely appreciate it! mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja sayantanc2k
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
Kudos
Expert Reply
csaluja wrote:
I was able to get down to B and E relatively quickly but I choose B instead. As Daagh sir said, "Even if there is more the one event, say two, three or four, you can not mark all of them with past perfect. At least, one function should be there in simple past, naturally the last of the events, to expose the chronological difference", why is option B incorrect then? If we should use a simple past, shouldn't B be correct then (was instead of had been)? The reason why I eliminate option E because I assumed that we didn't need to use past perfect in the last perfect of the sentence. Could any of you guys please help? Would immensely appreciate it!

Dear csaluja,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, to be honest, I don't have the highest opinion of this question. Far more is underlined than is necessary: I believe all five answer choices have the identical phrase "ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift" at the end. None of that needs to be part of the underlined section! Oh, and by the way, the Earth is not a "ball of expanding mass"! GMAT SC questions about science generally reflex scientific reality.

The difference between (B) & (E) is minuscule, too close for one to be definitively wrong. I would urge you not to worry about this split: it's not a flaw in your understanding, but a failing on the part of the question writer.

Here's a high quality SC practice question:
Comparing tensile strength

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 173 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Send PM
daagh wrote:
The idea that earth was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift.

(A) was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest , though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(B) is a ball of expanding mass had never drawn any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(C) was a ball of expanding mass did never draw any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts has transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself has been ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(D) was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed this apathetic indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(E) is a ball of expanding mass had never drawn any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself had been ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

Got this one correct, but please let me know if my thought process is flawed:

A, C, D) are wrong because Earth is CURRENTLY a ball of expanding mass, hence the need for IS

I chose E over B simply because E uses the past perfect and that gives us a better sequencing of events.

1) concept was ignored first
2) compelling evidence prove the occurrence

TBH, I'm not sure if there are any mistakes in B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [0]
Given Kudos: 154
Send PM
The idea that earth was a ball of expanding mass never drew [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The idea that earth was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift.

(A) was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest , though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(B) is a ball of expanding mass had never drawn any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(C) was a ball of expanding mass did never draw any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts has transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself has been ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(D) was a ball of expanding mass never drew any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed this apathetic indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself was ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

(E) is a ball of expanding mass had never drawn any takers until the well documented phenomenon of continental drifts transformed the indifference into one of interest, though the concept of drift itself had been ignored until physicists produced compelling evidence to prove the occurrence of drift

I am a bit confused about the first part of the sentence, "the earth was a ball of expanding mass".
Could anyone please help me understand why we are assuming it to be a universal fact? Maybe we are just talking about a historical fact, i.e. Earth used to be a ball of expanding mass (maybe when it was still hot) but is not anymore. :?
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja sayantanc2k, would really appreciate any help.
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Jarvis07 wrote:
daagh wrote:

I am a bit confused about the first part of the sentence, "the earth was a ball of expanding mass".
Could anyone please help me understand why we are assuming it to be a universal fact? Maybe we are just talking about a historical fact, i.e. Earth used to be a ball of expanding mass (maybe when it was still hot) but is not anymore. :?
mikemcgarry GMATNinjaTwo GMATNinja sayantanc2k, would really appreciate any help.

Hello Jarvis07,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, it is a matter of context; since the sentence makes no reference to a past time period, it is more logical to assume that it refers to permanent information.

Further, if the action taken by the Earth were a past action, it would have to be written in the past perfect tense verb "had been", rather than the simple past tense verb "was", as it is the earliest of multiple actions that concluded in the past.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts