It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 03:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1798 [3], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 14:06
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

95% (hard)

Question Stats:

37% (01:53) correct 63% (01:37) wrong based on 851 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million.

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1798 [3], given: 302

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 17

Schools: UCLA Anderson
Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 15:23
I'd go with A since answers B-E clearly have errors. However, A still seems poorly worded. I think this might be a bogus question.

If this post was helpful, please give Kudos.

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 17

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jul 2015, 23:28
TheGmatTutor wrote:
I'd go with A since answers B-E clearly have errors. However, A still seems poorly worded. I think this might be a bogus question.

Hi GmatTutor

Don't you think most expensive and ever are redundant, a case in answer choice A?

If you talk about Superlative degree(most), it essentially means since the beginning and hence, need not require the mention of time again.

I'd go with B. Let's wait for OA though!

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 35

3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [3], given: 39

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jul 2015, 04:17
This post received
KUDOS
A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million-No issues noticed.

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that was" is simply unnecessary..out

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that" is simply unnecessary..out

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that was" is simply unnecessary.also "More" is used instead of "most".out

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million-where is the name of the painting?out.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [3], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 2

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 01:43
dominicraj wrote:
A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million-No issues noticed.

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that was" is simply unnecessary..out

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that" is simply unnecessary..out

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold- "The abstract expressionist piece" is the name of a painting. Hence "that was" is simply unnecessary.also "More" is used instead of "most".out

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million-where is the name of the painting?out.

Regards,
Dom.

In choice A, it has "that was" too. IMO, it is unnecessary too. I can cross only choice E off. Can anyone explain this

1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 39

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 02:04
This post received
KUDOS
"The abstract expressionist piece" is one painting.. Only when we have a collection of things from which we want to specifically show "one" as a subject we have to use "that".

For Eg.(my own creation :) ): The clothes look too good but that with embroidery is the best.. (one among the rest)..

In our case..

In B:The abstract expressionist piece that was, created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million.(verb-ed modifier rightly modifying the preceding noun)

In A:The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece... which refers to one painting among many which were sold..

In C: The whole sentence is passive voice firstly. So avoid such sentences on GMAT.

Secondly..the painting is "the" most expensive painting.. not "a" most expensive painting. Even here we can do away with "that was"

Hope its clear.

Regards,
Dom.

Kudos [?]: 238 [1], given: 39

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 23 Jul 2015, 02:54
Opp! I didn't notice "a" most expensive
It will narrow to A and B.
I think I get it.

But I have an question. Which one is correct?

1. I see the picture created by Tom
2. I see the picture which was created by Tom
3. I see the picture that was created by Tom

For me, I think the first choice is more concise than others.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1798 [0], given: 302

Concentration: Economics, Finance
Schools: LBS MIF '19
WE: Asset Management (Investment Banking)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 06:24
applebus wrote:
Opp! I didn't notice "a" most expensive
It will narrow to A and B.
I think I get it.

But I have an question. Which one is correct?

1. I see the picture created by Tom
2. I see the picture which was created by Tom
3. I see the picture that was created by Tom

For me, I think the first choice is more concise than others.

Hi there

Yes I also would go for the first option. Number 2 however is not correct. I believe the modifier "was created by tom" is essential, therefore if you use a connector, you would have to chose "that".

Any opinions?

Thanks

Saving was yesterday, heat up the gmatclub.forum's sentiment by spending KUDOS!

PS Please send me PM if I do not respond to your question within 24 hours.

Kudos [?]: 1798 [0], given: 302

5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
P
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying

Kudos [?]: 7868 [5], given: 363

WE: Education (Education)

Show Tags

New post 25 Jul 2015, 08:24
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The important elements to remember are that it is an abstract expressionist painting and that it was not just an expensive painting but an expensive painting ever sold. These are essential legacies of the original text and should be taken through in the correct choice.

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million --- Looks ok;

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million ---I see no problem with ‘that was’ created except that it is two words extra. But more importantly, it is missing the ever sold point and hence is not reproducing the intent of the original.

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting ---- same as in B. In addition, 'a most expensive' is ungrammatical.

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold --- making it ‘the more expensive’ is wrong.

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million – missing the abstract expressionist piece

A therefore is the correct choice.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Kudos [?]: 7868 [5], given: 363

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q47 V44
GMAT 3: 720 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.87

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 02:18
reto wrote:

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million

I admit (A) is the most clear in intended meaning , but does it not lack a "That.. and that" parallelism ? Should the sentence not be "that was created...... and that was sold" . "D" on the other hand looks ok if you consider "more" to be a typo. Does "D" have any other error I am overlooking ?

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 56

Retired Moderator
P

Kudos [?]: 7868 [0], given: 363

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2015, 03:34
We are forced to take ‘the more’ in D not as a typo, because of a similar basic mistake in C in the form of “a most expensive” expression; we are not used to seeing so many basic errors in one thread in a GMAT level exam. This is the reason that we are forced to consider A as probably the best among the lot, although it also has problems of its own such as lack of parallelism.
That aside in D, the phrase ‘for $149.7 million making it’ seems to be suspect; one may note that the there is no comma between ‘$149.7 M’ and ‘making’. This implies that ‘making’ modifies the sale price per se rather than the sale. Indeed, it is the sale for $149.7 M that makes it most expensive to have been and not just $149.7M. To that extent, the choice deviates from the intended meaning.

“Better than a thousand days of diligent study is one day with a great teacher” – a Japanese proverb.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

Concentration: Strategy, Technology
GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 12 Sep 2015, 05:26
in choice A, just after and "was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million" is a complete clause or it isn't- since it doesn't clearly say "what" was sold. Is this a violation of FANBOYS?

Kudos [?]: 91 [0], given: 101

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.27

Show Tags

New post 19 Sep 2015, 04:15
daagh wrote:
We are forced to take ‘the more’ in D not as a typo, because of a similar basic mistake in C in the form of “a most expensive” expression; we are not used to seeing so many basic errors in one thread in a GMAT level exam. This is the reason that we are forced to consider A as probably the best among the lot, although it also has problems of its own such as lack of parallelism.
That aside in D, the phrase ‘for $149.7 million making it’ seems to be suspect; one may note that the there is no comma between ‘$149.7 M’ and ‘making’. This implies that ‘making’ modifies the sale price per se rather than the sale. Indeed, it is the sale for $149.7 M that makes it most expensive to have been and not just $149.7M. To that extent, the choice deviates from the intended meaning.

IMO
That and that parallelism is not needed since we are starting an independent clause after comma

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 11

Expert Post
MBA Section Director
P

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Marketing (Energy and Utilities)
#Top150 SC: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Dec 2015, 21:52
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million.

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million

My GMAT Resources
V30-V40: How to do it! | GMATPrep SC | GMATPrep CR | GMATPrep RC | Critical Reasoning Megathread | CR: Numbers and Statistics | CR: Weaken | CR: Strengthen | CR: Assumption | SC: Modifier | SC: Meaning | SC: SV Agreement | RC: Primary Purpose | PS/DS: Numbers and Inequalities | PS/DS: Combinatorics and Coordinates

My MBA Resources
Everything about the MBA Application | Over-Represented MBA woes | Fit Vs Rankings | Low GPA: What you can do | Letter of Recommendation: The Guide | Indian B Schools accepting GMAT score | Why MBA?

My Reviews
Veritas Prep Live Online

Kudos [?]: 16950 [0], given: 1961

1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
S

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 75

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge
#Top150 SC: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2015, 03:33
This post received
KUDOS

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million :|

The abstract expressionist piece is the most expensive painting, and was sold for $149.7 million. These two cannot be two different consecutive tasks.

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting..................The superlative form, indicated here by the use of the word most, must be preceded by the word the.

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million....................misses the word expressionist painting

The only time you can lose is when you give up. Try hard and you will suceed.
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

http://gmatclub.com/forum/rules-for-posting-in-verbal-gmat-forum-134642.html
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources.

My posts
http://gmatclub.com/forum/beauty-of-coordinate-geometry-213760.html#p1649924
http://gmatclub.com/forum/calling-all-march-april-gmat-takers-who-want-to-cross-213154.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/possessive-pronouns-200496.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/double-negatives-206717.html
http://gmatclub.com/forum/the-greatest-integer-function-223595.html#p1721773
https://gmatclub.com/forum/improve-reading-habit-233410.html#p1802265

Kudos [?]: 866 [1], given: 75

CEO
CEO
G

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE: General Management (Transportation)
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: #Top150 SC: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Apr 2016, 19:33
souvik101990 wrote:

took some time to solve it...

Most expensive painting ever sold:
1. is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by JP entitled (correctly modifies piece)
2. was sold.

A seems to be without any errors.

B. is, and was - 2 parallel verbs - comma not needed.
C. is A most expensive - out right away
D. making it - incorrect modifier
E. close, but not. original meaning: X is Y and was B. in this case X was B. so the emphasis is slightly different. chose A.

Kudos [?]: 392 [0], given: 182

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 21:06
Top Contributor
There is no IC after the comma + and in A. One can see that there is no subject for the clause after 'and'.

Second, in the given context, the use of the comma before 'and' is the culprit. It can't be used when there is no IC in the second part. It is a violation of symmetrical parallelism.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
B

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

GMAT 1: 640 Q48 V29

Show Tags

New post 01 May 2017, 23:58
Dear experts , I have 2 doubts on this one :

1) Does not option A miss out on that .. and that parallelism. That was created and that was sold ...??
2) "created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5 " .... Does this not imply Jackson Pollock was entitled No.5 ? I thought the painting was entitled ?

Looking forward to your replies ... TIA :)

" The few , the fearless "

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 95

Top Contributor
Retired Moderator
P

Show Tags

New post 02 May 2017, 01:28
Top Contributor
As far as that parallelism goes, yes, your view is correct. but in the case of modifications, logic overrides structure, as we don't name humans as NO 5, 1948, whereas it is common to name paintings with fancy names like the one in this topic.

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 11 Aug 2017, 06:25
daagh wrote:
The important elements to remember are that it is an abstract expressionist painting and that it was not just an expensive painting but an expensive painting ever sold. These are essential legacies of the original text and should be taken through in the correct choice.

A. The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million --- Looks ok;

B. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is the most expensive painting, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million ---I see no problem with ‘that was’ created except that it is two words extra. But more importantly, it is missing the ever sold point and hence is not reproducing the intent of the original.

C. Sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million, the abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, is a most expensive painting ---- same as in B. In addition, 'a most expensive' is ungrammatical.

D. The abstract expressionist piece that was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million making it the more expensive painting ever sold --- making it ‘the more expensive’ is wrong.

E. The most expensive painting ever sold was created by artist Jackson Pollock entitled No. 5, 1948, and was sold in 2006 by David Geffen for $149.7 million – missing the abstract expressionist piece

A therefore is the correct choice.

Hi Daagh,

Although i marked A as the answer, it was a difficult choice between A and B. Also,IMO, the language is a bit messed up as it should've been 'an abstract expressionist piece' as this clearly represent a genre/category.
My question is: What should be the concrete reason to choose A over B?

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 13

Re: The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2017, 06:25

The most expensive painting ever sold is the abstract expressionist pi

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap