It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 23:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 07 Aug 2008, 22:09
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

71% (00:56) correct 29% (00:41) wrong based on 84 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened to go on strike,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners

A. that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

B. that a federal arbitrator mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

C. of a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

D. a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

E. a federal arbitrator to mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

PLS EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS
THX
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by fameatop on 26 Jul 2013, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
OA not Provided

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Baseball Commissioner [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 00:02
I think it is E because it is concise.

A: "would" called for possibility. Here he is asking to do.
B: "have" is wrongly used. "has" qualifies here
C: "he" is ambiguously defined
D: "he" is ambiguously defined

Please post your comments as well.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 01:18
prateek11587 wrote:
The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened to go on strike,and the lawyers representing major league franchise owners

A. that a federal arbitrator would mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

B. that a federal arbitrator mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

C. of a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which have threatened

D. a federal arbitrator that he mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

E. a federal arbitrator to mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened

PLS EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS
THX

Umpire's union is singular. Hence A, D and E remain.

A - would is not needed.

E is the right choice.

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 14:27
I would go with B: Since this is a request by someone, it falls under subjunctive mood, so the answer must have the verb infinitive form without the "to" (to mediate). The negotiations here are between the representatives and requires a plural verb "have". Wondering if I have missed something.

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 18:19
prateek11587 wrote:

PLS EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS

THX

B for me

For correct use of subjunctive

It's "representatives" of union, who threatened ; so "have" is correct

Please post OA

Kudos [?]: 212 [0], given: 0

VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 19:42
prateek11587 wrote:

PLS EXPLAIN YOUR ANSWERS
THX

This is a subjunctive form asked that suits the best here .
again one more point here is mismatch between uniop... which have
hence eliminate B,C,E,A
D is the only option left

OA plss

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Kudos [?]: 406 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 08 Aug 2008, 20:50
GUYS THE OA IS E

GUYS CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE EXPLAIN THE RULE FOR SUBJUNCTIVE..??

I CHOSE D FOR THE SAME REASON (SUBJUNCTIVE) AND IGNORED E..ALTHOUGH E INDIVIDUALLY IS CORRECT,BUT I CHOSE D OVER E..

AM I DOING SOMETHING WRONG AS FAR AS SUBJUNCTIVE IS CONCERNED ??

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 01:11
I too thought the answer to be 'D' considering it a subjunctive. Can somebody explain why it is 'E' and not 'D'?

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 30

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 02:23
Why That? Ask is not a bossy verb(Subjunctive). E holds good.

Gonna make it this time

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 30

Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 109

Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs

Show Tags

New post 12 Dec 2010, 22:36
+1 E

D is wrong because the idiom is incorrect: "a federal arbitrator that he mediate"
It should be: "a federal arbitrator TO MEDIATE"

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: http://gmatclub.com/forum/my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 1107 [0], given: 109

Intern
Intern
B

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 7

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 14:27
I chose E.
'has' refers to 'union' and that is subject/verb agreement, and the placement of the which clause is immediately after 'union'... which is necessary, no?

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 14 Dec 2010, 14:33
Meant to add: D is incorrect because rather than "that he mediate," it should be "to mediate"

B is incorrect because 'have threatened' should refer to the union, not the representatives.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 27

Show Tags

New post 15 Dec 2010, 02:29
anupam6d wrote:
I too thought the answer to be 'D' considering it a subjunctive. Can somebody explain why it is 'E' and not 'D'?

"he" in D is ambiguous. Answer shud be E.

Regards,
Murali.

Kudos?

Kudos [?]: 191 [0], given: 27

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 777 [0], given: 11

Show Tags

New post 18 Dec 2010, 18:21
So even though the correct ans is E. I am curious about ans choice B. Would it have been correct if it said "that a federal arbitrator mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened"

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 18:03
please could someone provide an explanation to my question ?

So even though the correct ans is E. I am curious about ans choice B. Would it have been correct if it said "that a federal arbitrator mediate negotiations between representatives of the umpire's union,which has threatened"

Verbal:new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ajit

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 20 Dec 2010, 18:52
indeed E is the correct answer. But I had confusion with usage of "which". "Which" refers to noun just before it. In case of prepositional phrase, "which" refers to noun before the preposition. Here the noun before prepositional phrase is "representatives", which in this case is living thing. So, "which" cannt refer to" representatives" so refers to "union".

WAHEGURU JEE DA KHALSA, WAHEGURU JEE DE FATEH

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Re: The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 13:42

Can someone please explain me in this sentence which is modifying union or representatives, and how to identify it?

Kudos [?]: 69 [0], given: 14

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Concentration: Technology
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2013, 20:59
veenu08 wrote:

Can someone please explain me in this sentence which is modifying union or representatives, and how to identify it?

Here "which" is modifying "umpire's union".
From my experience in most of the cases it is safe to say as a general rule that which modifies the noun immediately preceding the comma (umpire's union in this particular case). But I would end by saying that before applying this strategy make sure that "which" does make some sense when describing the noun it is modifying because in rare case this rule might not stick.

And it has to be supported by "has" as "union" is a singular entity. E is the right answer for me as well.

Live as if your were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Gandhi

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 9

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 15:37
nick28 wrote:
veenu08 wrote:

From my experience in most of the cases it is safe to say as a general rule that which modifies the noun immediately preceding the comma (umpire's union in this particular case). But I would end by saying that before applying this strategy make sure that "which" does make some sense when describing the noun it is modifying because in rare case this rule might not stick.

And it has to be supported by "has" as "union" is a singular entity. E is the right answer for me as well.

I do not think it can modify umpire's union. It should be modifying representatives. Umpire's union is in the propositional phrase
and so which should be modifying representatives and hence "E" is not correct to me.

"B" seems to right. It is subjunctive form and it has "have" at the end.
Where is this question in. I like to know the source.

Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 28 Jul 2013, 15:57
kalpal wrote:
nick28 wrote:
veenu08 wrote:

I do not think it can modify umpire's union. It should be modifying representatives. Umpire's union is in the propositional phrase
and so which should be modifying representatives and hence "E" is not correct to me.

"B" seems to right. It is subjunctive form and it has "have" at the end.
Where is this question in. I like to know the source.

I take that back. you are right. E is the correct answer. When you see verb tense you see prepositional phrases but "which" should
modify the nearest noun.

Re: The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a   [#permalink] 28 Jul 2013, 15:57

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 21 posts ] 

The newly elected baseball commissioner has asked that a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap