GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 19 Feb 2020, 08:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Math Expert
V
The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Dec 2019, 00:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:03) correct 50% (02:33) wrong based on 12 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

GMAT Tutor
G
The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 Jan 2020, 04:03
Bunuel wrote:
The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a picnic is constant. When 10 more people join in the cost per head decreases from Rs. 40 to Rs. 36. What will be the decrease in cost per head if further 20 more people join in?

A. 2
B. 4
C. 6
D. 8
E. 12

The question is barely in English ("if further 20 more people join in") and it makes it seem the number of people is a variable, when it's not. It also hardly makes sense for the product of the cost per person and the number of people to be constant, because then the picnic costs the same whether 2 people attend or 2,000,000. So it's not a good question (where is it from?).

The product the question says is constant, the cost per head times the number of people, is just the total cost of the picnic, so that's what I'll call it. The total cost is constant, so is the same for any number of people. If we have p people, and it costs $40 per head, the total cost is 40p. We know that the cost per person goes down to $36 when we add 10 people, so the total cost is also equal to 36(p + 10). Since the total cost is a constant, these must equal each other, so

40p = 36p + 360
p = 90

and we have 90 people originally. Since it costs $40 per head, the total cost is 40*90= $3600. If we add a further 20 to the 10 we added before, we'll have 120 people, and for the total cost to still be $3600, it must now cost $30 per head. Now it's not altogether clear what decrease the question is asking for (from the original 90 people or from the 100 people after ten are added) but from the answer choices, I gather it's the latter, so the answer is $6, since the cost per head drops from $36 to $30.

If you are looking for online GMAT math tutoring, or if you are interested in buying my advanced Quant books and problem sets, please contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com
GMAT Club Bot
The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a   [#permalink] 21 Jan 2020, 04:03

The product of the cost per head and the number of people going for a

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics