GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 23 Oct 2018, 13:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The Real (SLIM) MBA (Shady) Rankings

new topic post reply Update application status  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Retired Moderator
G
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Reviews Badge
The Real (SLIM) MBA (Shady) Rankings  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 17 Mar 2018, 03:01
The US news tracks student "quality", FT tracks earning potential, BW tracks a bunch of things (and maybe nothing) and Forbes is all about the fortune (ROI).

So what does an old boy (or girl, chill) do when they look to rankings and try to identify their school of choice?

Well, for international students, their region and function of influence matters a great deal. If you are in India or China - British universities still hold a great deal of prestige just from name in old school organizations and their LDP programs. Colonialism be damned, there is value prescribed to an LBS or Oxford or Cambridge which defies stats or logic.

The whole US school vs INSEAD/LBS debate has been had and won (by the US schools). Duke, NYU, Ross all receive twice the number of applications per seat as LBS or Insead. A quick search of "MBA Intern" for jobs on Linkedin filtered for UK vs USA will tell you the difference in demand.

alexchu had the best go at it - there is a top 8 - HSW, Booth, Kellogg, Sloan, CBS and Tuck in no particular order. Then top 16 - Ross, NYU, Duke, Darden, Cornell, Yale, Haas and UCLA (in no particular order). Of course region matters (or not) and function matters (or not). I'd usually average 5 years worth of rankings anywhere to get this list.

So which school is better - Tuck or Ross? No scholarship and no regional biases aside, you go with where your choice firm hires more. i.e. Tuck for MBB and Ross for Amazon. Remote schools are tougher for banking jobs, which is why NYU holds its top 10 credentials regularly, despite maybe a dwindling cult following on Gmatclub.

Speaking of cult following - here's P&Q with their thoughts : https://poetsandquants.com/2016/05/27/u ... ss-seat/2/

Paid advertising aside, take money when you can, go to the best school that'll have you, and if you get in IIM-A in India just do it!!
Intern
Intern
B
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V47
Re: The Real (SLIM) MBA (Shady) Rankings  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 04:39
I'm struggling to understand what the point of this post is.

In particular I disagree with your hasty assessment of US schools vs LBS/INSEAD. I'm not sure who it serves either. Both schools have placement into the most prestigious employers and both schools have an impressive alumni network.

In fact, based on the new proposed WSJ ranking, I would be surprised if INSEAD did not trade blows with the HSW. It has an enormous and very successful alumni network, its research ouput is excellent, has a very strong alumni list, and job placements into top tier firms is leading. In Europe/Asia, it is literally INSEAD and Harvard vying for top spot.

Finally, applicants and applicant quality are two different things. INSEAD probably has a filtered list of applicants due to the language requirement and strong emphasis on international experience.
Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 05:53
I "sort of" agree with your final point - although the way you set it up was odd - "applicant vs applicant quality is different?" I didn't quite understand this comparison but I'm guessing you mean that non-nativ english speakers score lower on the GMAT? While that may be true, they also score a bit higher on the quant section (although that may only be true of Asians).

In any case, it does not deflect from the fact that US schools are blessed with far higher number of applications per year, better job opportunities and greater academic excellence pathways.

The point of this post is to share my insight into the world of B-school comparisons - that's kind of what we do on on GMATClub (among many other things).
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 11:02
bb10 wrote:

In any case, it does not deflect from the fact that US schools are blessed with far higher number of applications per year, better job opportunities and greater academic excellence pathways.

I already addressed applications per year as being a false way to determine school quality, and job opportunities are better at LBS/INSEAD than most of the M7. "Greater academic excellence pathways"...right.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 11:38
Naj wrote:
bb10 wrote:

I already addressed applications per year as being a false way to determine school quality, and job opportunities are better at LBS/INSEAD than most of the M7. "Greater academic excellence pathways"...right.

Where did you find LBS/INSEAD job opportunities information? INSEAD has been very secretive with their stats and I have struggled to find any feedback, including even the number of students attending the program. It has been a black box in the past if you ask me, and I would rank them lower just for that.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here...
OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Verbal OG2019 Directory is here! - New!
Quant OG2019 Directory is here! - New!

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Retired Moderator
G
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 11:56
Yes - greater academic pathways. In case one would like to do their PhD or even join a private research center.

How have you addressed the applications being a false way to determine school quality? You seem pretty adamant on the whole EU schools are better narrative mate - mind substantiating any of your claims?

As far as opportunities in US vs UK are concerned - a simple Linkedin search for MBA jobs (for full time as well as summer grads) will reveal the truth.

I will say this - going to LBS or Insead seems to be richer life experience - considering the travel and international cohort. I'm sure the caliber of the faculty is no slouch either - but overall, US schools have an edge. There's just no way around that.

Let me ask this - FT ranks IESE above Duke, NYU, Tuck and Yale - would you go to IESE over those schools if you are location agnostic?

Naj wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 13:55
bb wrote:
Naj wrote:
bb10 wrote:

Where did you find LBS/INSEAD job opportunities information? INSEAD has been very secretive with their stats and I have struggled to find any feedback, including even the number of students attending the program. It has been a black box in the past if you ask me, and I would rank them lower just for that.

Is this not the relevant information? https://www.insead.edu/sites/default/fi ... istics.pdf
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 19 Mar 2018, 14:00
bb10 wrote:

How have you addressed the applications being a false way to determine school quality? You seem pretty adamant on the whole EU schools are better narrative mate - mind substantiating any of your claims?

I don't think EU schools are better. I just don't think a blanket statement which says that the US schools have won some nonsensical "war" is that constructive. The application number is not the right way to assess a school's candidate quality because they play in entirely different geographies and have different admissions requirements.

Quote:
As far as opportunities in US vs UK are concerned - a simple Linkedin search for MBA jobs (for full time as well as summer grads) will reveal the truth.

But this isn't about the US vs UK. And really, if you want to compare them, LBS feeds into the world's financial capital, and INSEAD is THE consulting target schools for Europe and Asia.

Quote:
I will say this - going to LBS or Insead seems to be richer life experience - considering the travel and international cohort. I'm sure the caliber of the faculty is no slouch either - but overall, US schools have an edge. There's just no way around that.

You've made an unqualified statement. There's no way around what?

Quote:
Let me ask this - FT ranks IESE above Duke, NYU, Tuck and Yale - would you go to IESE over those schools if you are location agnostic?

When did this become about FT? I thought it was LBS/INSEAD.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The Real (SLIM) MBA (Shady) Rankings &nbs [#permalink] 19 Mar 2018, 14:00

The Real (SLIM) MBA (Shady) Rankings

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Wilch, swbluedevil

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap