Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1007 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: The red-eyed cowbird breeds by parasitizing the nests of [#permalink]
Ans: A.

a. The stability of oriole populations is threatened by the behavior of red-eyed cowbirds.
>> Yes this is the proper conclusion. As the red-eyed cowbirds throws one oriole egg out of the nest for every one of its own eggs that it lays therein. This reduces the population of oriole.
b. The oriole does not possess any numeric ability.
>> Not right.
c. The stability of red-eyed cowbird populations depends on the proximity of nesting orioles.
>> Passage does not specify if red-eyed cowbird lays eggs in only orioles nest that are near by.
d. The red-eyed cowbird's behavior is not learned.
>> Does not seem to be a conclusion.
e. Scientists are unable to distinguish between a red-eyed cowbird egg and an oriole egg based solely on visual examination.
>> Not related.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
yogesh27 wrote:
Ok, let me give it a shot...

A: Passage does not say that the cowbird throws all the oriole eggs out to put its own eggs, so this is an assumption
B: The oriole does possess numeric ability, else the cowbird would not have evovled a trait of replacing one oriole egg for one of its own eggs
C: This is not true because the passage mentions the red-eyed cowbird breeds by parasitizing the nests of orioles, among other birds
D: The red-eyed cowbird's behavior is not learned, thats why it is able to deceive other birds to hatch its eggs, so this is a good conclusion
E: This may be true, but the point is that the female oriole herself is not able to distinguish her egg and the cowbird's egg. So we don't care if scientists can distinguish them or not.

I will go with D....whats the OA?

Hi, Can you please provide the reasoning!!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
xyztroy, What is the source of this q ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
The passage says The cowbird has evolved certain traits and behaviors to ensure the success of its deception

This allows the cowbird to deceive other birds and make them hatch its eggs and the other birds are un-able to see the cowbirds trick and behavior, indicating that the cowbirds behavior is not learned, so D is the answer

Please post the OA...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 167 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Looks like E to me too....
I think A, B and C cannot be selected.
However I couldnt actually get the intent of option D. The confusion being: Can we interpret the statement to mean:
"The orioles cannot learn the behaviour of the cowbird"
If that is the case then actually D should be the answer.
E is, in a way, correct since somebody(probably a scientist) ascertained the evolution of the egg coloration as a premise, so we might say (might because it appears vague to me too) that the same scientist couldn't identify the egg.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hitman4683v1 wrote:
Looks like E to me too....
I think A, B and C cannot be selected.
However I couldnt actually get the intent of option D. The confusion being: Can we interpret the statement to mean:
"The orioles cannot learn the behaviour of the cowbird"
If that is the case then actually D should be the answer.
E is, in a way, correct since somebody(probably a scientist) ascertained the evolution of the egg coloration as a premise, so we might say (might because it appears vague to me too) that the same scientist couldn't identify the egg.

Yeah thats the same reason why I chucked D out, but looks like D is the OA. I feel D is ambiguous.
The more I think of this, I think A should be the OA based on mads's reasoning. Damn!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi All,

This question is from ARCO (Peterson's) CD that contains 3 sample tests.
OA is D.

If you guys want, I can pull up the official explanation and paste the same here.

Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
xyztroy wrote:
Hi All,

OA is D.

If you guys want, I can pull up the official explanation and paste the same here.

Thanks

It wouldnt hurt !
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 438 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: World Domination, Finance, Political Corporatization, Marketing, Strategy
Schools:LBS, INSEAD, IMD, ISB - Anything with just 1 yr program.
 Q47  V32
Send PM
xyztroy wrote:
Hi All,

OA is D.

Thanks

I believe other than Powerscore, Manhattan and Kaplan, in that sequence, no other prep material is worth consideration. Princeton and Arco especially, have been pretty confusing, just like this passage here. The intent and the sentence structuring is unclear and pretty confusing and so are the answer options given too. Unnecessary debate and usually end-up in pulling out hair from already receding hair-line!!!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I have read the testimony, posted in this group itself, of many GMAT test takers who scored a very high score on GMAT and recommended ARCO's tests strongly. In their opinion the difficulty level of ARCO's tests are very much at par with the actual GMAT's.

BarneyStinson wrote:
xyztroy wrote:
Hi All,

OA is D.

Thanks

I believe other than Powerscore, Manhattan and Kaplan, in that sequence, no other prep material is worth consideration. Princeton and Arco especially, have been pretty confusing, just like this passage here. The intent and the sentence structuring is unclear and pretty confusing and so are the answer options given too. Unnecessary debate and usually end-up in pulling out hair from already receding hair-line!!!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Please let me know the books for critical reasoning...i m nt a native speaker of English...and reasoning questions go above my head...i just cant undersatnd wat they want to say......can u suggest a book for CR.I want to start from basics.....

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts