It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 09:23

Happening Now:

Live Chat with Amy Mitson, Sr. Associate Director of Admissions at Tuck Dartmouth

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The school board ruling mandated that physically handicapped

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

GMAT ToolKit User
The school board ruling mandated that physically handicapped [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2009, 11:44
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (00:02) correct 67% (00:00) wrong based on 5 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

1. The school board ruling mandated that physically handicapped students be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured all children who have a reading problem of special aid.

1. be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured all children who have a reading problem
2. should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problem
3. are placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problems
4. be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children with reading problems
5. should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problems

OA is
[Reveal] Spoiler:
d

can somebody please expalin difference between D and E. Is it that here statement has mandated hence we dont repeat use of should?

Please also explain when we use words like mandate, do we use should ?

Kudos [?]: 437 [0], given: 1

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 359 [0], given: 106

WE 1: 7years (Financial Services - Consultant, BA)
Re: regular classroom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 08 Jul 2009, 12:43
Use of mandate that implies the subjunctive mood.

Also should is used to express someone's wish/hope/thoughts. Incorrect in this scenario.

Consider kudos for the good post ... :beer
My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

regular classroom [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 01:40
1. be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assured all children who have a reading problem
2. should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problem
3. are placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problems
4. be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children with reading problems
5. should be placed in regular classroom settings whenever possible also assures all children who have a reading problems

because of the subjunctive mood - it nails down to 1 and 4. How do we choose between 1 and 4?

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 13

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 01:55
acer2knight wrote:

because of the subjunctive mood - it nails down to 1 and 4. How do we choose between 1 and 4?

Out of 1 and 4 ,4 is the simpler one.'children with reading problems' is better than 'children who have a reading problem'

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 03:23
shrutisingh wrote:
acer2knight wrote:

Out of 1 and 4 ,4 is the simpler one.'children with reading problems' is better than 'children who have a reading problem'

Assume you have a total children (X)
out of which (Y) have reading problem
1) referring to X (have reading problem) ==> not true, all children do not have reading problems. ('who' in general introduces non-restrictive clause just adding info, but not classify/separate the subject/noun from group. Can someone please confirm this?.)
4) referring to Y (with reading problems)

My debrief : http://gmatclub.com/forum/journey-670-to-720-q50-v36-long-85083.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 5

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 03:52
Between A and D, the tense difference between 'assured' (A) and 'assures' (D) what does it imply?

Las cualidades del agua...porque el agua no olvida que su destino es el mar, y que tarde o temprano deberá llegar a él.

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 5

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 883 [0], given: 56

WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 03:52
I would reject option A, B, C and E for using "all children who have a reading problem"

By using "a" above, it sounds as if there are different categories of reading problem and these children have one reading problems.

C and E are introducing new error by using plural "problems", - "a reading problems"

In option D, the above problem is addressed by using "all children with reading problems", which addresses children with any type of reading problem.

ISB 2011-12 thread | Ask ISB Alumni @ ThinkISB
All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores
Self evaluation for Why MBA?

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 04:00
Jut to add to my previous post:

"A/an" can be used only with count nouns.

* "I need a bottle of water."
* "I need a new glass of milk."

Whereas, here, "Reading problem" is a non-countable noun.

All information related to Indian candidates and B-schools | Indian B-schools accepting GMAT scores

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 04:11
bigoyal wrote:
Jut to add to my previous post:

"A/an" can be used only with count nouns.

* "I need a bottle of water."
* "I need a new glass of milk."

Whereas, here, "Reading problem" is a non-countable noun.

Can you enlighten me more on this as I am not sure of it?

I think problems are countable:
I am facing few problems in evaluating ...

Also, we don't know whether there do exist different type of reading problems in this context.
So do you intend to say that we should use "the reading problem".

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 04:45
sudeep wrote:

hmm.. I got your point. Thats correct.

We can certainly write "I am facing a reading problem". But that means that I'm facing "one" reading problem. Isn't it ?

Similarly, "all children who have a reading problem" sounds as if these children have one reading problem, though non-specific (since using "a")

"all children with reading problems" addresses children with any type and any number of reading problems.

sudeep wrote:

Yes, we can surely use "the reading problem" when we want to point to a "specific" reading problem (But its not applicable here).
E.g. The reading problem, which Dave has, is very serious.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 09:46
bigoyal wrote:
sudeep wrote:

hmm.. I got your point. Thats correct.

We can certainly write "I am facing a reading problem". But that means that I'm facing "one" reading problem. Isn't it ?

Similarly, "all children who have a reading problem" sounds as if these children have one reading problem, though non-specific (since using "a")

"all children with reading problems" addresses children with any type and any number of reading problems.

sudeep wrote:

Yes, we can surely use "the reading problem" when we want to point to a "specific" reading problem (But its not applicable here).
E.g. The reading problem, which Dave has, is very serious.

I think whether children have the same reading problem or different problems is not an issue => I will not prefer to use it as a part of POE in answer.
the relevance here is the use of who as mentioned in below:

sudeep wrote:
Assume you have a total children (X)
out of which (Y) have reading problem
1) referring to X (have reading problem) ==> not true, all children do not have reading problems. ('who' in general introduces non-restrictive clause just adding info, but not classify/separate the subject/noun from group. Can someone please confirm this?.)
4) referring to Y (with reading problems)

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 22:29
sudeep wrote:
I think whether children have the same reading problem or different problems is not an issue => I will not prefer to use it as a part of POE in answer.

Maybe you are true. But still, I feel, if I had been given the below options:

"all children with reading problems"
OR
"all children with a reading problem"

I would have opted the 1st one. To me, the use of "a" here sounds awkward, and sounds as if all the students have one and same reading problem.

Director
Director

Show Tags

New post 09 Jul 2009, 23:21
bigoyal wrote:
sudeep wrote:

Maybe you are true. But still, I feel, if I had been given the below options:

"all children with reading problems"
OR
"all children with a reading problem"

I would have opted the 1st one. To me, the use of "a" here sounds awkward, and sounds as if all the students have one and same reading problem.

I think in this type of question, prefer what is suggested in the original sentence.

Re: regular classroom   [#permalink] 09 Jul 2009, 23:21