GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 30 Mar 2020, 15:49

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Current Student
V
Premium Member Reviews Badge
The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 13:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

75% (hard)

Question Stats:

50% (02:02) correct 50% (02:09) wrong based on 129 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict; when they do, the morally preferable act is usually the one that serves the long-term interest. Because of this, businesses often have compelling reasons to execute the morally preferable act.

Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the conclusion of the argument to be properly drawn?

(A) A business’s moral interests do not always provide compelling reasons for executing an act.
(B) A business’s long-term interests often provide compelling reasons for executing an act.
(C) The morally preferable act for a business to execute and the long-term interests of the business seldom conflict.
(D) The morally preferable act for a business to execute and the short-term interests of the business usually conflict.
(E) When a business’s short-term and long-term interests conflict, morality alone is rarely the overriding consideration.

V
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests
Re: The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Feb 2020, 19:51
VeritasKarishma generis MentorTutoring

Can you validate my reasoning ?

Quote:
Which one of the following, if assumed, enables the conclusion of the argument to be properly drawn?

I need to find assumption for this question.

Quote:
The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict; when they do, the morally preferable act is usually the one that serves the long-term interest. Because of this, businesses often have compelling reasons to execute the morally preferable act.

Since it is an assumption question, I would like to search for any gap / missing link between premise and conclusion.

Conclusion: In case of conflict between short-term and long-term interest, business choose long term ones
to EXECUTE action for COMPELLING reasons
Premise:(marked by premise indicator: because) Morally preferable act = Long term interest.

Cool, but what if morally preferable act do not provide a compelling enough reason to execute the act?
Then my conclusion shall break down. With this thought, let's see what answer choices have to say:

Quote:
(A) A business’s moral interests do not always provide compelling reasons for executing an act.

Negating gives: A business’s moral interests sometimes provide compelling reasons for executing an act.
So what, does my conclusion break down? Nope. OUT

Quote:
(B) A business’s long-term interests often provide compelling reasons for executing an act.

Negating gives: A business’s long-term interests never provide compelling reasons for executing an act.

If there are no compelling reasons to execute an act from long term interests, then why would business actually execute it?
My conclusion breaks down when I negate this. KEEP

Quote:
(C) The morally preferable act for a business to execute and the long-term interests of the business seldom conflict.

One of highest picked INCORRECT ans. Before even negating it (the morally preferable act for a business to execute and the long-term interests of the business never conflict.) , I simply do not care whether a morally preferable act and long term interests conflict.
I care about compelling reasons to execute the act. This is an out of scope answer.
OUT

Quote:
(D) The morally preferable act for a business to execute and the short-term interests of the business usually conflict.
(E) When a business’s short-term and long-term interests conflict, morality alone is rarely the overriding consideration.

Same reasoning as C, this is beyond the scope of argument and I do not care about frequency of conflict as in D
or an overriding consideration as in E. OUT

I guess working on scope of argument works faster than negating main verb of answer choices. :)

Feeling stressed, you are not alone!!
Manager
Manager
S
Re: The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 06:37
In the above question OA is B but B is already stated in the passage and an assumption is something which shouldn't be stated in the passage. It should be extra information. C seems to be the right answer.
Tutor
D

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 07:26
adkikani wrote:
VeritasKarishma generis MentorTutoring

Can you validate my reasoning ?

Quote:

I need to find assumption for this question.

Quote:

Since it is an assumption question, I would like to search for any gap / missing link between premise and conclusion.

Conclusion: In case of conflict between short-term and long-term interest, business choose long term ones
to EXECUTE action for COMPELLING reasons
Premise:(marked by premise indicator: because) Morally preferable act = Long term interest.

Cool, but what if morally preferable act do not provide a compelling enough reason to execute the act?
Then my conclusion shall break down. With this thought, let's see what answer choices have to say:

Quote:

Negating gives: A business’s moral interests sometimes provide compelling reasons for executing an act.
So what, does my conclusion break down? Nope. OUT

Quote:

Negating gives: A business’s long-term interests never provide compelling reasons for executing an act.

If there are no compelling reasons to execute an act from long term interests, then why would business actually execute it?
My conclusion breaks down when I negate this. KEEP

Quote:

One of highest picked INCORRECT ans. Before even negating it (the morally preferable act for a business to execute and the long-term interests of the business never conflict.) , I simply do not care whether a morally preferable act and long term interests conflict.
I care about compelling reasons to execute the act. This is an out of scope answer.
OUT

Quote:

Same reasoning as C, this is beyond the scope of argument and I do not care about frequency of conflict as in D
or an overriding consideration as in E. OUT

I guess working on scope of argument works faster than negating main verb of answer choices. :)

Hello again, adkikani, and thank you for tagging me. (I like to respond if no one else has done so and taken the breath out of me.) I read through your reasoning, and the only parts I find need a little refinement are your negations. In choice (A), for example, the original do not always already means sometimes. The negation would be to remove not, as in, A business's moral interests always provide.... Likewise, in choice (B), the opposite of often provide is not never, but something more along the lines of seldom provide or do not often provide. You still walked away with the correct answer, so you are on the right track, but you have to be careful when negating not to take it too far and distort the meaning of the negated answer. On another question, an improper negation could lead you down the wrong path.

- Andrew
GMATWhiz Representative
G

Show Tags

New post 29 Feb 2020, 08:05
ANALYSIS

Given:
• In business, short-term and long-term interests frequently clash.
• At such times, the act that is backed by morality is the one that usually helps to provide long term benefits to the business.
Conclusion: Businesses have forceful/strong reasons to carry out the morally preferable act
Supporting reason:Because the morally preferred act provides long-term benefits to the business.

PRE-THINKING
1. The author’s conclusion is based on the premise that morally preferred act provides long-term benefits to the business.
2. Missing Link:
a. If we look at the premise or supporting reason and the conclusion, we will see that
i. There is no connection provided between long term interests and how “compelling reasons” work towards achieving “long term interests”. The passage does not really say that businesses are motivated to look at long-term interests.
ii. What if, the businesses are not interested in achieving long-term benefits but are satisfied by short-term gains? What if businesses are not motivated by long-term interests when in a situation of conflict? In that case, the businesses will not be choosing morally preferable acts that provide long term interests.
iii. Assumption: Businesses are often motivated by long-term interests when choosing to carry out an act.

ANSWER CHOICE ELIMINATION:

It is the long term interests that must provide strong reason for choosing a moral act. The concern of the argument is not the moral interests of a business. This choice merely distorts the information given in the passage to cause confusion.
Incorrect Choice)

This choice is in line with the pre-thought assumption. The long term interests provide motivation/compelling reasons to carry out an act.
Correct Choice.

The passage is not concerned with a clash between moral act and long-term interest. This choice is out of scope.
Incorrect Choice.

The passage is not concerned with the clash between moral act and short-term conflicts. This choice is also out of scope.
Incorrect Choice.

Per this choice only morality is not the usual deciding factor. This is almost the opposite of what the premise intends to convey. And even if there are other factor, they are out of the scope of this argument.
Incorrect Choice.

GMAT Prep truly Personalized using Technology

Prepare from an application driven course that serves real-time improvement modules along with a well-defined adaptive study plan. Start a free trial to experience it yourself and get access to 25 videos and 300 GMAT styled questions.

Helpful Links

Score Improvement Strategy: How to score Q50+ on GMAT | 5 steps to Improve your Verbal score
Study Plan Articles: 3 mistakes to avoid while preparing | How to create a study plan? | The Right Order of Learning | Importance of Error Log
Helpful Quant Strategies: Filling Spaces Method | Avoid Double Counting in P&C | The Art of Not Assuming anything in DS | Number Line Method
Key Verbal Techniques: Plan-Goal Framework in CR | Quantifiers the tiny Game-changers | Countable vs Uncountable Nouns | Tackling Confusing Words in Main Point
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
V

Show Tags

New post 01 Mar 2020, 23:51
Akela wrote:

- The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;
- Morally preferable act is usually the one that serves the long-term interest.

Conclusion: So, businesses often have compelling reasons to execute the morally preferable act.

We need an assumption - a gap in logic.
The argument tells us that morally preferable act is the one that serves long time. It concludes that hence, businesses have a good reason to execute morally preferable act. We would not be able conclude this without assuming that long term interest is good reason for businesses - that businesses want to serve their long term interests. This is what option (B) says.

We are assuming that long term interests are a compelling reason.

The argument tells us that morally preferable act is usually the one that serves the long-term interest. This is not an assumption.

Again, seems to be an implication of the argument. It is not an assumption.

Is morality a consideration, we don't know.

Answer (B)

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;   [#permalink] 01 Mar 2020, 23:51

The short-term and long-term interests of a business often conflict;

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics