Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 19:30 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 19:30
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5897 [6]
Given Kudos: 3113
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 785 [2]
Given Kudos: 97
GMAT 1: 540 Q49 V16
GMAT 2: 680 Q49 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 289 [0]
Given Kudos: 156
Concentration: Technology, Nonprofit
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
WE:Analyst (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Re: The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height [#permalink]
Official answer:
If the magnitudes of tidal ranges are explained entirely by gravitational forces, then wouldn’t tidal ranges be identical everywhere? Why would the sun’s gravity, and/or the moon’s gravity, act differently in the Bay of Fundy? Something’s fishy here. The argument might look logical, but there’s a bait and switch happening here. We have a premise that says, “The only forces involved in inducing the tides are the sun’s and moon’s gravity,” and a conclusion that says tidal ranges must be entirely explained by gravitational forces. The problem with this is that “inducing” just means “starting.” So this argument basically pulls this switch on us: “Since childbirth can be induced by jumping on a trampoline, childbirth is entirely explained by jumping on a trampoline.” Really? Nah, didn’t think so. I’m not sure how to articulate the flaw precisely, but I do know it has something to do with “inducing” and “entirely explained” not being the same thing.

A) Uh, no. More examples might be nice, but this isn’t what we’re looking for and I wouldn’t call this a “flaw,” per se.
B) This could be it. What’s special about the Bay of Fundy? I don’t know. But maybe the beach is extremely steep, or the bay is extremely shallow, or something, and those are “the conditions in which gravitational forces act” to create such an extreme tidal range. This one’s a keeper.
C) Well, the argument definitely didn’t consider this possibility. But it also didn’t consider the possibility that we don’t give a **** whether it considered the possibility of quite a lot of things, including exactly how things are measured. This just isn’t the point.
D) Does the argument actually do this? For example, does it presume that the mating cry of a Blue Whale in heat (do they go into heat? let’s pretend) is a result of the interplay of gravitational forces? Nah, I don’t think it did.E) Did the argument really need to do this? I don’t see why it would need to, if it was going to use the very broad “gravitational forces” in the conclusion. This is beside the point.
The best answer is B.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The tidal range at a particular location is the difference in height [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6979 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
236 posts
CR Forum Moderator
821 posts