GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 09 Dec 2018, 16:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel
Events & Promotions in December
PrevNext
SuMoTuWeThFrSa
2526272829301
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
303112345
Open Detailed Calendar
  • Free GMAT Algebra Webinar

     December 09, 2018

     December 09, 2018

     07:00 AM PST

     09:00 AM PST

    Attend this Free Algebra Webinar and learn how to master Inequalities and Absolute Value problems on GMAT.
  • Free lesson on number properties

     December 10, 2018

     December 10, 2018

     10:00 PM PST

     11:00 PM PST

    Practice the one most important Quant section - Integer properties, and rapidly improve your skills.

There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 179
There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:21
3
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (00:34) correct 36% (00:16) wrong based on 41 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If it rains there is a 50% chance that Bob will cancel his picnic but if the sun is shining he will definitely have his picnic. What is the chance that Bob will have his picnic?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 153
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 23 Jan 2011, 04:37
If you har having trouble with probabilities I'd recommend drawing probability tree.

In this case we just multiply .3 * .5 and adds .7 = 85%
Image
_________________

12/2010 GMATPrep 1 620 (Q34/V41)
01/2011 GMATPrep 2 640 (Q42/V36)
01/2011 GMATPrep 3 700 (Q47/V39)
02/2011 GMATPrep 4 710 (Q48/V39)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 1 650 (Q46/V32)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 2 680 (Q46/V36)
02/2011 MGMAT CAT 3 710 (Q45/V41)


Originally posted by Mackieman on 22 Jan 2011, 08:29.
Last edited by Mackieman on 23 Jan 2011, 04:37, edited 1 time in total.
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 08:43
ajit257 wrote:
There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If it rains there is a 50% chance that Bob will cancel his picnic but if the sun is shining he will definitely have his picnic. What is the chance that Bob will have his picnic?


50% chance that Bob will cancel his picnic in case of a rain means that there is 50% chance that Bob will NOT cancel his picnic in case of a rain. So, \(P=0.3*0.5+0.7*1=0.85\).

Answer: 0.85.

Or \(P(picnic)=1-P(no \ picnic)=1-0.3*0.5=0.85\).

Answer: 0.85.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 179
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 10:19
why are we adding .7..how do I figure out whether it is OR/AND solution to see if it has to be added or multiplied
Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 22 Jan 2011, 10:26
ajit257 wrote:
why are we adding .7..how do I figure out whether it is OR/AND solution to see if it has to be added or multiplied


Bob will have his picnic in two cases:
I. there is no rain and he goes: 0.7*1;
II. there is a rain and he still goes: 0.3*0.5;

So you should add the individual probabilities of these events.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2010
Posts: 3
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2011, 07:32
Bunuel wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
why are we adding .7..how do I figure out whether it is OR/AND solution to see if it has to be added or multiplied


Bob will have his picnic in two cases:
I. there is no rain and he goes: 0.7*1;
II. there is a rain and he still goes: 0.3*0.5;

So you should add the individual probabilities of these events.


Just adding another way of arriving at the same result.
Because there are only two outcomes, we can calculate the probability for no picnic and subtract it from 1 to get the probability for picnic

probability for no picnic = 0.3 * 0.5 = 0.15
so probability of picnic is = 1 - 0.15 = 0.85
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Status: Up again.
Joined: 31 Oct 2010
Posts: 494
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2011, 01:19
Chance of no picnic+chance of picnic= 100% ... (i)
Chance of picnic=100%-Chance of no picnic ... (ii)

Chance of no picnic= 50% of 30%= 15%

Therefore, According to (ii), Chance of picnic= 100%-15%= 85%. Answer.
_________________

My GMAT debrief: http://gmatclub.com/forum/from-620-to-710-my-gmat-journey-114437.html

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8649
Location: Pune, India
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2011, 12:33
2
ajit257 wrote:
why are we adding .7..how do I figure out whether it is OR/AND solution to see if it has to be added or multiplied


To figure out whether you need OR/AND, focus on how you speak about it.
You say, "I need a shirt AND a trouser" - AND so multiplication
"I need a shirt OR a T-shirt" - OR so addition

Here you say: It will Rain OR Shine
Rains - probability of party is 15%
Shines - probability of party is 70%

Since it will Rain OR Shine, total probability = 15% + 70% = 85%
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Math Expert
User avatar
V
Joined: 02 Sep 2009
Posts: 51035
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 03 Feb 2011, 13:03
1
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
ajit257 wrote:
why are we adding .7..how do I figure out whether it is OR/AND solution to see if it has to be added or multiplied


To figure out whether you need OR/AND, focus on how you speak about it.
You say, "I need a shirt AND a trouser" - AND so multiplication
"I need a shirt OR a T-shirt" - OR so addition

Here you say: It will Rain OR Shine
Rains - probability of party is 15%
Shines - probability of party is 70%

Since it will Rain OR Shine, total probability = 15% + 70% = 85%


You can directly translate the question into probability:

Bob will have his picnic if: there is no rain (0.7) AND he goes (1) OR there is a rain (0.3) AND he still goes (0.5).

Now, put * for AND and + for OR: 0.7*1+0.3*0.5.
_________________

New to the Math Forum?
Please read this: Ultimate GMAT Quantitative Megathread | All You Need for Quant | PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 12 Rules for Posting!!!

Resources:
GMAT Math Book | Triangles | Polygons | Coordinate Geometry | Factorials | Circles | Number Theory | Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets | PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders | GMAT Prep Software Analysis | SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) | Tricky questions from previous years.

Collection of Questions:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.


What are GMAT Club Tests?
Extra-hard Quant Tests with Brilliant Analytics

Retired Moderator
avatar
Joined: 20 Dec 2010
Posts: 1820
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 04 Feb 2011, 04:45
Rain: 3/10; 1/2 chance.
Shine: 7/10; 1

\(\frac{3}{10}*\frac{1}{2}+\frac{7}{10}*\frac{1}{1}\)
\(\frac{17}{20}\)
\(85\%\)
_________________

~fluke

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 341
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Feb 2011, 07:52
what lvl is that question?
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 341
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 13:05
650??? rly? thats an ez one no?

do u have one of this kind that will be harder to solve? is this kind of question is common?

thanks.
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
P
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 8649
Location: Pune, India
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 19:43
144144 wrote:
650??? rly? thats an ez one no?

do u have one of this kind that will be harder to solve? is this kind of question is common?

thanks.


Actually, P & C questions, though easy if understood well, are considered a little harder.... You will not see more than 1 or 2 questions from this topic generally... It is always a good idea to have your basics clear so that you can tackle the easier questions on this topic... they would still be higher on the scoring scale... Veritas Permutation book is full of examples of these kind of questions. I will put up a couple on this topic from the book soon....
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >

GMAT self-study has never been more personalized or more fun. Try ORION Free!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 08 Nov 2010
Posts: 341
WE 1: Business Development
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Probability  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Feb 2011, 21:02
thanks VeritasPrepKarishma
_________________

GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Non-Human User
User avatar
Joined: 09 Sep 2013
Posts: 9080
Premium Member
Re: There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 06 Oct 2018, 02:25
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
_________________

GMAT Books | GMAT Club Tests | Best Prices on GMAT Courses | GMAT Mobile App | Math Resources | Verbal Resources

GMAT Club Bot
Re: There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If &nbs [#permalink] 06 Oct 2018, 02:25
Display posts from previous: Sort by

There is a 30 % chance of rain and a 70% chance of shine. If

  new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.