Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1040 [57]
Given Kudos: 20
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [15]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42102 [8]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 191 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
a) as above..looks CORRECT,"at the urging" is a correct usage form
b) as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his advisers, and a coalition of some..WORDY
c) on account of being urged by his own doctor, chief advisers, and a coalition of...ON ACCOUNT OF is not appropriate
d) as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some...
MAKES IT SEEM AS IF HE WAS URGED TO OPPOSE INITIALLY AND LATER APPROVE
e) as his own doctor was urgning him to do, along with his chief advisers, and a coalition of
WAS URGING is incorrect tense usage
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [2]
Given Kudos: 42
Send PM
Re: Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approv [#permalink]
Kudos
lets break the sentence into sequence of events
-governor initially opposes the program
-doctors,advisors,etc urge him to change his view
-governor approves the program

all these actions have happened in the past, so the correct sentence should be able to tell us the sequence in which these happened
in option D "urged" is used, which is incorrect because this is not giving us any reference which event( approval or urging) occured first.

"i was walking on the pavement when i was hit by a truck" - walking was first event and hit by a truck was second
"at the urging of doctors, governor approved the bill" - urging was first event and approval was second
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [2]
Given Kudos: 509
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor [#permalink]
Kudos
In A, is the repitition of 'his' correct? - his doctors, his advisors.... isnt 'His' initially used before doctors modifying advisors and action groups as well???
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [2]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
TheLordCommander wrote:
In A, is the repitition of 'his' correct? - his doctors, his advisors.... isnt 'His' initially used before doctors modifying advisors and action groups as well???

It depends whether you consider "his" outside or inside the parallel structure. If considered outside, using once is alright. But if considered, inside it has to be repeated. Since with X and Y construction one can decide where the parallel structure begins, both are correct.
His (X and Y)... correct
(His X) and (his Y)--- correct

In option A "his" is used inside (since used twice) - the coalition of action groups does not belong to him.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 5425 [1]
Given Kudos: 346
Send PM
Re: Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new needle exchange program at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some 20 social action groups.

a) at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of --> CORRECT
b) as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his advisers, and a coalition of
c) on account of being urged by his own doctor, chief advisers, and a coalition of
d) as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of
e) as his own doctor was urging him to do, along with his chief advisers, and a coalition of
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: NA
Own Kudos [?]: 114 [1]
Given Kudos: 59
GMAT 1: 590 Q50 V21
GMAT 2: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Bookmarks
yangsta8 wrote:
Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new needle exchange program at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some 20 social action groups.

a) at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of
b) as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his advisers, and a coalition of
c) on account of being urged by his own doctor, chief advisers, and a coalition of
d) as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of
e) as his own doctor was urging him to do, along with his chief advisers, and a coalition of

The answer as per Kaplan is (A)and the explanation is as follows:

"Here, all the choices except (A) add unnecessary words. In (B), as a consequence of having been urged doesn't add anything. In (D), as he was urged to do is not so obvious, but still longer than it needs to be. At the urging is the most compact and elegant version."

I am not yet convinced by the explanation to eliminate D. I was stuck between A and D , picked D as 'at the urging' seemed less clarifying to me.

egmat need help , please explain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 242
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 730 Q51 V36
GPA: 3.56
Send PM
Re: Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor [#permalink]
Though initially opposed to the measure, the governor approved the new needle-exchange program at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some twenty social action groups.

a) at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some

b) as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some

d) as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of some

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618578 [0]
Given Kudos: 81562
Send PM
Expert Reply
yangsta8 wrote:

A. at the urging of his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of

B. as a consequence of having been urged by his own doctor, his advisers, and a coalition of

C. on account of being urged by his own doctor, chief advisers, and a coalition of

D. as he was urged to do by his own doctor, his chief advisers, and a coalition of

E. as his own doctor was urging him to do, along with his chief advisers, and a coalition of

KAPLAN OFFICIAL EXPLANATION:

Here, all the choices except (A) add unnecessary words. In (B), as a consequence of having been urged doesn't add anything. In (D), as he was urged to do is not so obvious, but still longer than it needs to be. At the urging is the most compact and elegant version.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Interesting question here.

A seems to be the correct option. B has a logic problem, it says ‘as a consequence…’, implying that there were multiple consequences of the governor being urged but there was only one. C I am going to straight away discount. Choices with ‘being’ in them are almost always wrong. In D the issue is that ‘as’ invites ambiguity. It can be related to time (at the same time as) or it could mean ‘because of’. E has the same problem as D, it is also needlessly wordy.

Yes, A is the right answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 543 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM