It is currently 24 Feb 2018, 06:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Time Management

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
B
Time Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 07:15
mikemcgarry,
Greetings,
I take around 2 minutes for each questions to solve In GMAT Verbal section. If I try to solve questions less than that time most of the time I get them wrong unless they are too easy. If I take 2 or more minutes, I get most of them right unless they are too hard. My target score for verbal is 30.I thought of guessing 2 RC passages (6 - 8 questions) really fast this way I will get some extra time to solve rest of the questions and make most of them correct. But as you know(3 - 4)RC questions come in a row and if I get wrong 3 - 4 questions in a row that will hurt my score more than if I get them wrong spread out. So, how should I manage time in GMAT Verbal ? Please help me with your Suggestion.

Thanks
Expert Post
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
G
Time Management [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 25 Jan 2018, 14:58
reaabida wrote:
mikemcgarry,
Greetings,
I take around 2 minutes for each questions to solve In GMAT Verbal section. If I try to solve questions less than that time most of the time I get them wrong unless they are too easy. If I take 2 or more minutes, I get most of them right unless they are too hard. My target score for verbal is 30.I thought of guessing 2 RC passages (6 - 8 questions) really fast this way I will get some extra time to solve rest of the questions and make most of them correct. But as you know(3 - 4)RC questions come in a row and if I get wrong 3 - 4 questions in a row that will hurt my score more than if I get them wrong spread out. So, how should I manage time in GMAT Verbal ? Please help me with your Suggestion.

Thanks

Dear reaabida,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, you curiously omitted some important information. First of all, is English your native language? If not, when did you start to learn it and how would you rate your proficiency now?

Here's what I'll say. The best way to improve on GMAT RC is, not surprisingly, to practice reading: in fact, a rigorous reading habit, if practiced consistently in the right way, can make you better at all GMAT Verbal questions. See:
How to Improve Your GMAT Verbal Score
Read that blog article carefully. You have to go far beyond the reading included in GMAT practice--ultimately, a hour a day, above and beyond anything GMAT-specific, would be the best. You have to push yourself to find reading that is challenging for you. Certainly one possibility is the business news, in newspapers and magazines; the Financial Times and the Economist magazine are both excellent. Academic books and journals, in disciplines that are relatively unfamiliar to you, provide excellent practice.

For non-native speakers, that's sufficient: business news and academic writings. For native speakers, I would up the ante further--start reading classic prose of the 19th century and earlier--Emerson and Thoreau. Read famous US Presidential Inaugural Speeches (JFK, FDR's first, both of Lincoln's, etc.) Read famous essays & philosophical writings from earlier centuries in translation (Cicero, Montaigne, etc.)

If you develop a rigorous daily practice of reading, an hour a day, then over time, your speed across the board will increase. Also, especially from business news, you will develop insights that will help to put much of the CR and RC into context, and this context naturally makes those questions more approachable.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire. — William Butler Yeats (1865 – 1939)

Time Management   [#permalink] 25 Jan 2018, 14:58

Time Management

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: mikemcgarry

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap