It is currently 18 Nov 2017, 03:50

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

To MBA or not. (some feedback)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Schools: HBS (R2), Stanford (R2), Columbia (RD-ding), Booth (R2)
To MBA or not. (some feedback) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 10:56
This post was
BOOKMARKED
edit...

Last edited by triple5soul on 15 May 2009, 07:37, edited 1 time in total.

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Re: To MBA or not. (some feedback) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 11:24
First, I don't know why the competitive factor of business school or the potential of not getting a high enough GMAT score would influence your decision on whether or not to even try. If you want something, you have to go for it, especially since the most you will possibly lose is "a little bit" of time. So before worrying about GMAT scores or the like, you need to be make a commitment to yourself, or choose not to follow the path at all. Going about it half way is just a really bad idea and will probably waste your time and get you nowhere. If it's something you want, then go for it, regardless of the challenge. If it's not worth it, then forget about it.

I met several applicants who were planning on going back to take over their family business. They seemed like really strong candidates and I think your circumstances would give you a really good position to apply. For somebody like yourself - and I think there would be many who would love to be in your position - an MBA seems to make a lot of sense. It can open your horizons to take the business in expansive directions you never thought possible. It will also free you of falling prey to business "experts" who might try to leverage their so-called expertise in their own interests (and against yours).

Just ask yourself two questions:

1) Where do I want my family's business to be in 20 years?
2) Will an MBA help me achieve this?

You will need to answer these questions anyway if you plan to apply, so you might as well start now. You might not realize it yet, but answering these two questions will be the hardest part of your entire application process. Best of luck! Many wish they could be in your shoes.

http://www.MilitaryToBusiness.com - Veterans / HBS Alumni consulting other veterans

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 11:31
Thank you! Much appreciated.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

Schools: MIT

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 11:47
And from a practical standpoint, if you've already invested months in studying for the GMAT, what do you have to lose by taking it? You'll only have more options later by taking the test. That's what I would do, at least.

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 3

GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Schools: Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 12:23
Several people I know here are being groomed to take over family businesses, some of which are very large enterprises...and know there are alums who will be taking over multibillion dollar businesses someday. The skills that you need to run a family business are the same you need to run any business. So an MBA is actually a great investment in someone who will one day be running a decent sized business...whether they want to start it themselves, buying an existing business, or will be taking over from their parents.

I know kellogg has a family business club, I would bet there would be something similar at some of our peer schools. It might be a good resource to reach out to and get an idea of what the true value an MBA would be for someone in your situation.

http://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/student/club/family/Family.htm

Kellogg Class of 2010...still active and willing to help. However, I do not do profile reviews, don't offer predictions on chances and am far to busy to review essays, so save the energy of writing me a PM seeking help for these. If I don't respond to a PM that is not one of the previously mentioned trash can destined messages, please don't take it personally I get so many messages I have a hard to responding to most. The more interesting, compelling, or humorous you message the more likely I am to respond.
GMAT Club Premium Membership - big benefits and savings

Kudos [?]: 765 [0], given: 5

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 12:31
matterhorn762 wrote:
First, I don't know why the competitive factor of business school or the potential of not getting a high enough GMAT score would influence your decision on whether or not to even try.

Just ask yourself two questions:

1) Where do I want my family's business to be in 20 years?
2) Will an MBA help me achieve this?

You will need to answer these questions anyway if you plan to apply, so you might as well start now. You might not realize it yet, but answering these two questions will be the hardest part of your entire application process. Best of luck! Many wish they could be in your shoes.

Two very good points.

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

Current Student

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 14:49
In my mind an MBA will be very beneficial for you. Why? Well, once you graduate you can use a lot of the skills you learned at an MBA program immediately. Plus, your family will automatically listen to your input and value it as well.

You won't have to work your way up from some glorified grunt job and you won't have to deal with a lot of BS politics or bureaucratic red tape. You can use your knowledge to impact your family’s business immediately.

Additionally the network you gain from your MBA may help with financing contacts for expansion/new equipment/new division etc. for your business.

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 28 Mar 2009, 20:11
Thank you again for the input. Some of the comments are definitely shaping some important questions I want / have to answer.

Re: To MBA or not. (some feedback)   [#permalink] 28 Mar 2009, 20:11

To MBA or not. (some feedback)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap