GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 31 Mar 2020, 08:15

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Toefl ibt 111 tips+experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Toefl ibt 111 tips+experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 12 Feb 2015, 03:52
Hey, A few things about myself- I'm 24 from Israel, lived 3 years in the United states and needed a 92-96 toefl score for qualifying for certain universities in Europe. I took the Toefl on the 1.2.15 and scored 111 (R- 28, L- 28, S- 26, W- 29)

I started studying about 2 weeks before. I was fairly confident about my level of English so I didn't prepare daily, overall I would say over a 2 week span since I signed up to take the test my preparation time was 8 hours. My professional preparation was as follows:

1. I took the Israeli version of SAT's a few months before and it consists of an English section and the reading is similar to the reading section in the toefl. I read about 30 passages each of them with 6 questions.
2. Read articles daily online off news websites
3. Solved about 10-15 listening segments online (you can pick them up from google or from forums just as this)
4. Simulated about 10-15 speaking questions (same as above).
5. Wrote 2 500 word essays on random topics off the internet.

A few tips would be very helpful:

1. Wake up early after 7-8 hours of sleep. Prepare yourself mentally and physically and don't go to the test looking like a homeless person. You need to start off your day confidently. Wake up in a talkative mood. When arriving to the test facility talk to other people (doesn't matter your language or english) just as long as you reassure yourself before the test. Arrive at least an hour before the test.

2. Reading questions are a GIFT. Extracting information from texts is methodical and solving the questions is all about practicing on how to extract. Irregardless of the level of vocabulary you have if you solve enough passages you will see yourself get to a level of 0-2 mistakes in each passage. One more thing is the fact that this section comes first so getting off on the right foot is very important so I would say preparation wise spend about 35-40% of the time solving passages.
h
3. Listening questions in my opinion are also a gift. The information is there, you don't have to do almost any thinking. In preparation, put yourself in the exact same situation as the test (with time limit and also maybe with a bit of interruptions in the background..) and just practice jotting down everything you can on a piece of paper. Doesn't have to be very organized, just enough to remind you of what was said. Preparation time wise I would say 30%. h

Once you know you nailed listening and reading, you go to your break with confidence and relaxed and come to the speaking section where being relaxed is key.

4. Just talk english all the time. Find someone you know which speaks good, coherent and most importantly "chilled out" english and just mimic them if you can in the way you speak. Personally, I didn't know what to make of this section before I took the test and my answers I thought were pretty bad but just the fact that the man grading me could sense I was relaxed while speaking and not robotic was enough. Don't think too much and HAVE FUN!! Speaking english or any other language even if you sound weird shouldn't stress you out. Try to make the people grading the score feel something (DON'T BE MONOTONIC).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY PUMP YOURSELF UP BEFORE THIS- this is the only section that REQUIRES you to be confident and assured of yourself (and you have a mandated break to do that).

4. The first essay in writing is about reading something and then hearing some person refute it. This is peanuts, and with practicing about 4-5 of these you should get the hang of it. Just memorize other words other than "refute" like "denies the claim" or "disagrees" and you'll be fine. Be organized and in the listening write everything down.
The second essay is random, and really tests if you can actually write. First of all, come with 2-3 options of structure which you can use depending on the passage. for example:

1. Introduction, supporting passage, supporting passage, a passage which says that I acknowledge the other opinion and closing+ something I think should help personally.
2. Introduction, 3 supporting passages where I also acknowledge the other opinion, closing+ something I think should help personally.

I use the first one, that's one I mostly use when writing essays.
Just decide before you start writing what your opinion is, think you are trying to sell (diplomatically of course) an idea to the man reading. You probably won't sell if you don't believe that your reasons are good enough so before you start convince yourself for a minute why your reasoning is good for your opinion.

That's it pretty much. Like everything in life toefl is a lot of mental game with yourself. If you won't enjoy it and try to have fun than you will get to the speaking/writing section wishing that this day will be over already and the score will reflect it.
Intern
Intern
Re: Toefl ibt 111 tips+experience  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 10 Apr 2015, 10:13
tlast wrote:
Hey, A few things about myself- I'm 24 from Israel, lived 3 years in the United states and needed a 92-96 toefl score for qualifying for certain universities in Europe. I took the Toefl on the 1.2.15 and scored 111 (R- 28, L- 28, S- 26, W- 29)

I started studying about 2 weeks before. I was fairly confident about my level of English so I didn't prepare daily, overall I would say over a 2 week span since I signed up to take the test my preparation time was 8 hours. My professional preparation was as follows:

1. I took the Israeli version of SAT's a few months before and it consists of an English section and the reading is similar to the reading section in the toefl. I read about 30 passages each of them with 6 questions.
2. Read articles daily online off news websites
3. Solved about 10-15 listening segments online (you can pick them up from google or from forums just as this)
4. Simulated about 10-15 speaking questions (same as above).
5. Wrote 2 500 word essays on random topics off the internet.

A few tips would be very helpful:

1. Wake up early after 7-8 hours of sleep. Prepare yourself mentally and physically and don't go to the test looking like a homeless person. You need to start off your day confidently. Wake up in a talkative mood. When arriving to the test facility talk to other people (doesn't matter your language or english) just as long as you reassure yourself before the test. Arrive at least an hour before the test.

2. Reading questions are a GIFT. Extracting information from texts is methodical and solving the questions is all about practicing on how to extract. Irregardless of the level of vocabulary you have if you solve enough passages you will see yourself get to a level of 0-2 mistakes in each passage. One more thing is the fact that this section comes first so getting off on the right foot is very important so I would say preparation wise spend about 35-40% of the time solving passages.
h
3. Listening questions in my opinion are also a gift. The information is there, you don't have to do almost any thinking. In preparation, put yourself in the exact same situation as the test (with time limit and also maybe with a bit of interruptions in the background..) and just practice jotting down everything you can on a piece of paper. Doesn't have to be very organized, just enough to remind you of what was said. Preparation time wise I would say 30%. h

Once you know you nailed listening and reading, you go to your break with confidence and relaxed and come to the speaking section where being relaxed is key.

4. Just talk english all the time. Find someone you know which speaks good, coherent and most importantly "chilled out" english and just mimic them if you can in the way you speak. Personally, I didn't know what to make of this section before I took the test and my answers I thought were pretty bad but just the fact that the man grading me could sense I was relaxed while speaking and not robotic was enough. Don't think too much and HAVE FUN!! Speaking english or any other language even if you sound weird shouldn't stress you out. Try to make the people grading the score feel something (DON'T BE MONOTONIC).

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY PUMP YOURSELF UP BEFORE THIS- this is the only section that REQUIRES you to be confident and assured of yourself (and you have a mandated break to do that).

4. The first essay in writing is about reading something and then hearing some person refute it. This is peanuts, and with practicing about 4-5 of these you should get the hang of it. Just memorize other words other than "refute" like "denies the claim" or "disagrees" and you'll be fine. Be organized and in the listening write everything down.
The second essay is random, and really tests if you can actually write. First of all, come with 2-3 options of structure which you can use depending on the passage. for example:

1. Introduction, supporting passage, supporting passage, a passage which says that I acknowledge the other opinion and closing+ something I think should help personally.
2. Introduction, 3 supporting passages where I also acknowledge the other opinion, closing+ something I think should help personally.

I use the first one, that's one I mostly use when writing essays.
Just decide before you start writing what your opinion is, think you are trying to sell (diplomatically of course) an idea to the man reading. You probably won't sell if you don't believe that your reasons are good enough so before you start convince yourself for a minute why your reasoning is good for your opinion.

That's it pretty much. Like everything in life toefl is a lot of mental game with yourself. If you won't enjoy it and try to have fun than you will get to the speaking/writing section wishing that this day will be over already and the score will reflect it.

Hi
Congrat!
I do toefl twice but my score
R20
L20
S22
W21
Please if u can advise how to boost my scores to get like urs!
Thanks
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 14 Aug 2015, 01:38
Congratulations! And thanks for the tips.
Intern
Intern

Show Tags

New post 19 Oct 2015, 21:18
Thanks for sharing so much useful Toefl ibt 111 tips & #1 online TOEFL® prep course service by BestMyTest
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Toefl ibt 111 tips+experience   [#permalink] 19 Oct 2015, 21:18

Toefl ibt 111 tips+experience

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Moderator: carcass