Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:40 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Re: Top 5 Corp Finance Position or MBA? [#permalink]
jpong21 wrote:
First, my stats:

3.6 GPA, 710 GMAT (taken 4 years ago), Private Top 25 Undergrad, Big Brother Program for over a year, couple leadership positions in UG, currently work at a small public software company after getting a CPA from Big 4 Accounting for 2 years. Will have total of 4 years WE at matriculation.

I was always planning on applying to b-school this fall, but recently applied for a sr. financial analyst position at one of the top 3-5 companies to work for in the U.S., and received an offer. Naturally, this has thrown me for a huge loop in terms of what I should do. This is the last year I can apply to bschool before my GMAT score expires (I know it's not exceptional, but it's good enough to be around the average of the top 15 schools), and with the way schools are trending towards younger applicants, I'd rather not wait another 2 years to apply (as I would likely do should I accept the offer). However, given this company's name, it would be hard to turn down the chance to get that on my resume, and at the same time push out my bschool application another 2 years when hopefully there will be less competition with a better economy. Anyone have thoughts on what I should do??? To take the offer...or not to take and apply this year...

If the job pays $100K w/room for growth, take the job. If it's a choice between having the company on your resume (and not much else) or a top MBA on your resume, go with the MBA.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Well, it depends on whether you really want to be doing corporate finance. After all, if this is your dream job afer MBA, isn't it better to skip MBA altogether?

Why do you want to do the MBA? Is it to help your cause in landing a job in corporate finance? That's why I think it's important to know what you really want. Personally, I see MBA as a means to an end.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Well Corp Finance is not exactly my 'preferred' field to be in. The whole point of getting an MBA for me would be to get into banking/PE. Then again, I'm thinking that having this company's name on my resume could only help a few years from now when I decide to apply. So I guess the question boils down to this: Should I take a job whose name undoudtebly bolsters my resume for a future application, even if it's not in my "ideal" field, or should I just apply now so I don't spend 2 years in a field I most likely will not want to be in long-term?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
jpong21 wrote:
Well Corp Finance is not exactly my 'preferred' field to be in. The whole point of getting an MBA for me would be to get into banking/PE. Then again, I'm thinking that having this company's name on my resume could only help a few years from now when I decide to apply. So I guess the question boils down to this: Should I take a job whose name undoudtebly bolsters my resume for a future application, even if it's not in my "ideal" field, or should I just apply now so I don't spend 2 years in a field I most likely will not want to be in long-term?

At this point in your career, you shouldn't be bothering with jobs and fields that you're not interested in long-term. Make your moves wisely.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
What do you mean when you say analyst? As in research analyst in a certain field, or analyst for a group. I don't want too much detail, just trying to clarify what it might mean to moving into your planned career.

I would say a research analyst role on a good field would make lots of people interested in you for IB, maybe PE also.
Intern
Intern
 Q48  V39
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
What do you mean when you say analyst? As in research analyst in a certain field, or analyst for a group. I don't want too much detail, just trying to clarify what it might mean to moving into your planned career.

I would say a research analyst role on a good field would make lots of people interested in you for IB, maybe PE also.

Unfortuately no, it is not a research analyst position. More along the lines of a financial analyst.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
You may be on the wrong site to ask advice on this topic even though it's MBA related. I would talk with industry professionals and see if they can give you insight. Would an MBA help you reach the next level versus not having one? These are questions they could answer.
GMAT Club Bot