GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Nov 2019, 00:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates

  new topic post reply Update application status  
Author Message
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 15 Oct 2019, 19:58
5
Updated based in Class of 2020 & 2021 profiles

Did a little number crunching for the Top MBA’s in Canada; Rotman & Ivey

According to various sources

Rotman receives about 2,300 applications for its 295 spots.

Ivey receives about 1,000 for 150 spots.

I'll make the assumption that the yield rate is 40% (Aligned with Top 15-25 US)

That means

Rotman
738 offers extended out of 2,300 applications for an Acceptance Rate of 32.1%.

Ivey
375 offers extended out of 1,000 applicants, for an Acceptance Rate of 37.5%

According to GMAC only 46% of applications for Canadian MBAs are from domestic students, while 54% are from internationals.

Assuming this ratio holds true for Rotman & Ivey:

Rotman
Out of the 2,300 apps received only 1,058 from domestic students and 1,242 from internationals!

Ivey
Out of the 1,000 apps received, only 460 from Domestic students and 540 from internationals!

Out of 738 offers given by Rotman, 58% or 428 offers are given to internationals and 42% or 310 are to domestic applicants.

Therefore

Rotman’s International Acceptance rate is 428/1,242 = 34.5%

Rotman’s Domestic Acceptance Rate is 310/1,058 = 29%


Ivey is only 30% international; out of 375 offers given by Ivey, 112 offers are given to internationals and 70% or 263 are to domestic students.

Therefore

Ivey’s International Acceptance rate is 112/540 = 20.7%

Ivey’s Domestic Acceptance Rate is 263/460 = 57.2%


Hope this helps! :cool:

Shout out to bondc707 for helping with the figures! :cool:
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)

Originally posted by Pakman33 on 14 Oct 2019, 17:45.
Last edited by Pakman33 on 15 Oct 2019, 19:58, edited 4 times in total.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 18:57
1
Pakman33 wrote:
Updated based in Class of 2020 & 2021 profiles Rotman receives about 1,500 applications for its 295 spots.


Where did you get this number from? If I recall correctly, the number was 2100 two years ago and applications are up about 20-30 percent since then.
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 19:27
bondc707 wrote:
Pakman33 wrote:
Updated based in Class of 2020 & 2021 profiles Rotman receives about 1,500 applications for its 295 spots.


Where did you get this number from? If I recall correctly, the number was 2100 two years ago and applications are up about 20-30 percent since then.



The article below showed that Rotman received about 1,200 applications in 2013

https://fortune.com/2013/01/28/inside-m ... l-decides/

According to GMAC, 2017 to 2018 saw the highest increase in applications to Canadian MBA's at 7.7%; not 20 to 30%.

https://www.macleans.ca/economy/busines ... mpetition/

1,200 to 1,500 is a 25% increase, which I thought was reasonable, especially considering that I put the yield rate at 50%.

Oxford, HEC Paris, and LBS average a little over 2,000 applications each, I don't think Rotman's application pool is as large as those schools, especially when you consider that Canada has half the population of France & UK respectively.
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Oct 2019, 21:09
2
Pakman33 wrote:
The article below showed that Rotman received about 1,200 applications in 2013


Pakman33 wrote:
1,200 to 1,500 is a 25% increase, which I thought was reasonable, especially considering that I put the yield rate at 50%.


Your assumptions are wrong. Rotman applications were up 30% in one year (2018) and I believe 20% in 2017 after Trump got elected.

Source: https://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admis ... n-general/

Pakman33 wrote:
Oxford, HEC Paris, and LBS average a little over 2,000 applications each, I don't think Rotman's application pool is as large as those schools, especially when you consider that Canada has half the population of France & UK respectively.


Rotman does get more applications than Oxford and HEC Paris and probably gets the same number of applications as LBS. It has less to do with the population and more to do with Canada's immigration system. Look at the growth in GMAT Club Rotman submissions- they're a fairly good indicator of school popularity.
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 08:19
bondc707 wrote:
Pakman33 wrote:
The article below showed that Rotman received about 1,200 applications in 2013


Pakman33 wrote:
1,200 to 1,500 is a 25% increase, which I thought was reasonable, especially considering that I put the yield rate at 50%.


bondc707 wrote:
Your assumptions are wrong. Rotman applications were up 30% in one year (2018) and I believe 20% in 2017 after Trump got elected.

Source: https://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admis ... n-general/


According to your source, the 30% jump was in 2017 after the US Visa situation became a little more tumultuous.

I assumed 1,200 applicants remained relatively steady from 2013 to 2016, then 30% jump lands us around 1,500 for class of 2019 + about 8% growth class of 2020 (According to GMAC).

I'll bump the figures in the original post to 1,700 based on the source you provided. :thumbup:

Pakman33 wrote:
Oxford, HEC Paris, and LBS average a little over 2,000 applications each, I don't think Rotman's application pool is as large as those schools, especially when you consider that Canada has half the population of France & UK respectively.


bondc707 wrote:
Rotman does get more applications than Oxford and HEC Paris and probably gets the same number of applications as LBS. It has less to do with the population and more to do with Canada's immigration system. Look at the growth in GMAT Club Rotman submissions- they're a fairly good indicator of school popularity.


I really don't think Rotman's applicant pool could be near LBS (2,500+ Applicants), or even HEC Paris (2,100+); the average candidate at both schools has a near-700 GMAT.

If they had an equally sized pool of candidates, they would have a more comparable average GMAT (Rotman Class of 2021 is at 669). Also, the population is important because nearly half of Canadian & European MBA program applicants are domestic.
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 15:15
1
Pakman33 wrote:
I really don't think Rotman's applicant pool could be near LBS (2,500+ Applicants), or even HEC Paris (2,100+); the average candidate at both schools has a near-700 GMAT.

If they had an equally sized pool of candidates, they would have a more comparable average GMAT (Rotman Class of 2021 is at 669). Also, the population is important because nearly half of Canadian & European MBA program applicants are domestic.

Rotman stopped focusing solely on the GMAT in 2017- You will notice that despite applications rising 30% in 2017, the average GMAT actually fell 10 points. So for Rotman, the average GMAT isn't correlated with the number of applicants.

Pakman33 wrote:
I assumed 1,200 applicants remained relatively steady from 2013 to 2016, then 30% jump lands us around 1,500 for class of 2019 + about 8% growth class of 2020 (According to GMAC).

You're grossly understating the growth from 2013-2017- The international student population in Canada/Toronto grew by 12% and 8% respectively and Rotman's MBA class almost doubled in size in that same period.

Furthermore, if you look at the Rotman GMAT Club applicant tracker, the growth in applications was 14% in 2016, 13% in 2018 and 19% in 2019. If you assume a (very very conservative) 3% annually from 2013-2016 and then 30% in 2017 and then 10% annually in 2018 and 2019, you get to 2300 - Which is still wayyyy understated if you ask me.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 16:19
1
Pakman33 wrote:
I assumed 1,200 applicants remained relatively steady from 2013 to 2016, then 30% jump lands us around 1,500 for class of 2019 + about 8% growth class of 2020 (According to GMAC).


2017
The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management reports a 34-per-cent spike in applications for its MBA program from international students compared to a year ago.

source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e34355997/

2017
'We’ve had some pretty serious positive trajectory over the last number of years here at Rotman. So much so that our application volume for the FT MBA Program has doubled in the last 5 years. '

Source: https://inside.rotman.utoronto.ca/admis ... need-know/

That's in 2017- so that would make it ~2400 from ~1200 in 2013? Add another 10% over 2018 and 2019, and it takes the number of applicants ~2900 which probably on the higher range of where the actual volume is at.
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 17:23
bondc707 wrote:
Pakman33 wrote:
I assumed 1,200 applicants remained relatively steady from 2013 to 2016, then 30% jump lands us around 1,500 for class of 2019 + about 8% growth class of 2020 (According to GMAC).


2017
The University of Toronto’s Rotman School of Management reports a 34-per-cent spike in applications for its MBA program from international students compared to a year ago.

source: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e34355997/

International demand definitely went up, but domestic demand for Canadian MBA programs has been falling, the class of 2021 is only 42% domestic.

bondc707 wrote:
Furthermore, if you look at the Rotman GMAT Club applicant tracker, the growth in applications was 14% in 2016, 13% in 2018 and 19% in 2019. If you assume a (very very conservative) 3% annually from 2013-2016 and then 30% in 2017 and then 10% annually in 2018 and 2019, you get to 2300 - Which is still wayyyy understated if you ask me.


I think this is a more granular assessment that I can get behind, I'm still a little hesitant to put Rotman over 2,000 applicants, but stats don't lie :thumbup:

I think it will be one the only schools with 2K+ Applications and a sub-680 Average GMAT, which I find hard to believe, no matter how "holistic" they say they are lol.

I will adjust all the numbers to 2,300 nearly double the 2013 figures as suggested above, but I think I will lower the estimated Yield Rate because on GMATClub Tracker it's single-digit for both Rotman & Ivey :lol:

I don't have any updated information on Ivey so I'll assume the growth in application volume isn't as exponential as Rotman.

Thanks for the source material!
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 17:45
2018
One more change. Ivey receives 830 applicants for 166 spots. So Ivey's acceptance rates for both Domestic and International students are far higher that your estimates.

Source: https://www.economist.com/whichmba/west ... 2018?tab=6
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 18:17
bondc707 wrote:
2019
One more change. Ivey receives 655 applicants for 131 spots. So Ivey's acceptance rates for both Domestic and International students are far higher that your estimates.

Source: https://www.economist.com/whichmba/west ... 2015?tab=6



Yeah I saw that but Ivey's class has been 140+ for a while now, the class of 2020 is at 151.

https://poetsandquants.com/2015/10/22/m ... y=students

The most up to date source I have found, but it's from 4 years ago, for the class entering in 2015 (Pre-Trump). It was 748 Applications, for 141 spots.

In an interview with J.D Clark, Admissions director at Ivey, I think it was on TouchMBA or another podcast, he mentioned they were at around 1,000 applications for the class of 2017 (entering 2016). Which is in-line with the 30%+ increase Rotman saw the same year.

Trump did wonders for Canadian MBA's :lol:
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 05 Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Reviews Badge
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 19:32
1
bondc707 wrote:
2018
One more change. Ivey received 830 applicants for 166 spots in 2018- Numbers provided by Ivey.

Source: https://www.economist.com/whichmba/west ... 2018?tab=6


Found a more recent source from 2018

830 applicants in 2018- Assuming a 10% growth rate as we have with Rotman you get to ~1000 applicants for Ivey for the class of 2020
Richard Ivey School Moderator
User avatar
S
Joined: 03 Sep 2018
Posts: 45
Location: Canada
GPA: 2.9
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
CAT Tests
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 15 Oct 2019, 19:59
bondc707 wrote:
bondc707 wrote:
2018
One more change. Ivey received 830 applicants for 166 spots in 2018- Numbers provided by Ivey.

Source: https://www.economist.com/whichmba/west ... 2018?tab=6


Found a more recent source from 2018

830 applicants in 2018- Assuming a 10% growth rate as we have with Rotman you get to ~1000 applicants for Ivey for the class of 2020


Updated !
_________________
Pakman33
Ivey Business School Thread Master
Please KUDOs if post is helpful :)
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates   [#permalink] 15 Oct 2019, 19:59
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Top Canadian MBA Acceptance Rates

  new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, Hatakekakashi






Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group | Emoji artwork provided by EmojiOne