Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 228 [33]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: General Management, Leadership
GPA: 3.37
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1367 [5]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 139 [1]
Given Kudos: 559
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4689 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
#Top150 CR: The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing [#permalink]
souvik101990 wrote:
The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing imposes a large burden on people who live or work near airports. When airports operate late at night or early in the morning, the disturbance can disrupt normal sleeping patterns, even leading to severe sleep deprivation disorders. When the flight paths of airplanes lie too close to the ground, the resulting noise interferes with work performance in nearby businesses and the peaceful enjoyment of life by residents in the proximity. However, the operation of an airport, unlike a neighbor who simply plays music too loudly, provides a valuable benefit to the surrounding community, in the form of convenient transportation for both personal and economic purposes. Thus the only option is to establish standards for the reasonable operation of airports and fine those that violate the guidelines.

The bolded phrase plays which of the following roles in the argument above?

A. It explains why one potential alternative to establishing a system of standards and fines is unacceptable.

B. It provides background information that is not directly related to the conclusion of the argument.

C. It supports a policy of stricter regulations for airports than for neighbors playing of music.

D. It undermines the argument advocating a system of regulations and fines for the unreasonable operation of an airport.

E. It explains why some people choose to live near enough to airports to be affected by the noise.

IMHO (A)

I belive the bold part plays the role of a counter premise ( Correct me if I am wrong )
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2755 [2]
Given Kudos: 79
Send PM
Re: #Top150 CR: The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing [#permalink]
Kudos
The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing imposes a large burden on people who live or work near airports.
When airports operate late at night or early in the morning, the disturbance can disrupt normal sleeping patterns, even leading to severe sleep deprivation disorders. When the flight paths of airplanes lie too close to the ground, the resulting noise interferes with work performance in nearby businesses and the peaceful enjoyment of life by residents in the proximity. However, the operation of an airport, unlike a neighbor who simply plays music too loudly, provides a valuable benefit to the surrounding community, in the form of convenient transportation for both personal and economic purposes. Thus the only option is to establish standards for the reasonable operation of airports and fine those that violate the guidelines.

The bolded phrase plays which of the following roles in the argument above?

A. It explains why one potential alternative to establishing a system of standards and fines is unacceptable...........if not fines transportation cannot be achieved. so one alternative of removal of airport due to its noise other than fines is unacceptable.

B. It provides background information that is not directly related to the conclusion of the argument............not true as it is related although indirectly.

C. It supports a policy of stricter regulations for airports than for neighbors playing of music.............wrong comparison as the latter is an analogy used to explain the scenario.

D. It undermines the argument advocating a system of regulations and fines for the unreasonable operation of an airport..........It does not undermine fines instead is supportive of it.

E. It explains why some people choose to live near enough to airports to be affected by the noise..........unrelated since no one chose to be affected.
Jamboree GMAT Instructor
Affiliations: Jamboree Education Pvt Ltd
Own Kudos [?]: 654 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: #Top150 CR: The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing [#permalink]
Kudos
The answer can be reached by elimination. "B" says not related to the information in the conclusion, however it is related. In "C" "neighbors playing music" is just an analogy. In "D" it does not undermine; on the contrary it supports and "E" is not even relevant.So we are only left with "A" which is the correct option since "A" gives an explanation that why airports are also necessary and cannot be standardized with other examples.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 93
Send PM
Re: The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing imposes a lar [#permalink]
Please explain Why A is right. I'm confused :(
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The noise caused by airplanes during takeoff and landing imposes a lar [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts