Last visit was: 07 May 2024, 19:37 It is currently 07 May 2024, 19:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8851 [13]
Given Kudos: 3036
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [10]
Given Kudos: 769
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V38
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
General Discussion
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMATClub
Own Kudos [?]: 8851 [3]
Given Kudos: 3036
GRE 1: Q168 V154
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 158 [1]
Given Kudos: 818
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 2.84
WE:Other (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The role of nurturing in determining one’s behavioral traits has been [#permalink]
Kudos
workout wrote:
The role of nurturing in determining one’s behavioral traits has been hotly contested. Historically, geneticists believed that behavioral traits are inherited. After all, many properties of the brain are genetically organized and don't depend on information coming in from the senses. Since active genes are essentially inherited, most traditional geneticists believe that nurturing environment plays little role in shaping one’s behavioral traits.

However, a new line of research indicated that methyl groups can activate dormant genes, bringing about a slew of changes much later in a person’s life. The methyl group works like a placeholder in a cookbook, attaching to the DNA within each cell to select only those recipes - er, genes - necessary for that particular cell’s proteins, telling the DNA what kind of cells to form. The first such observation was in which methyl groups activated by causes ranging from exposure to certain chemicals to changes in diet set off a cascade of cellular changes resulting in cancer. Because methyl groups are attached to the genes, residing beside but separate from the double-helix DNA code, their study is dubbed epigenetics - “epi” referring to Greek for outer or above.

Behavioral geneticists, encouraged by this discovery proved that traumatic experiences such as child neglect, drug abuse, or other severe stresses also set off epigenetic changes to the DNA inside the neurons of a person’s brain, permanently altering behavior. Similarly, through multivariate analysis, they proved that identical twins, in scenarios where one twin has gone through a life altering event, can have vastly different reaction to a stressful situation.
Notes: Old thot: Behav Trait(BT) Inherited,
Reason- Many brain properties inherited and not thru senses.
Active genes responsible for BT.
Therefore, nurturing Env plays little role in shaping BT.

New Research- Methyl Activates Dormant genes.
Cell has DNA, DNA has Methyl group, which tells DNA what kind of new cells to form.

Result-Methyl grup activates, Reasons- Exposure or Even diet change(cancerous)

Traumatic xperience also cause changes to DNA thus Altering behavior.

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. propose a new framework that incorporates the role of genetics and the role to life experiences in determining an individual’s behavioral traits-NO, author doesnt propose. He presents.
B. summarize the new research on behavioral traits and inheritance-No, he doesnt summarize, he presents.
C. present findings indicating that, like inheritance, nurturing plays a role in shaping one’s behavioral traits-Correct, Matches our pre-thinking.(inheritance and nurturing play a role in BT)
D. argue through new findings that life experiences play a vital role in shaping an individual’s behavioral traits-No, life experiences play a vital role but author doesnt discard inheritance fully.
E. establish a causal relationship between an individual’s life experiences and his reaction to stressful situations-Out of scope, too specific.

2. Why does the author state highlighted text:

A. to provide a reason for geneticists belief that behavioral traits are inherited- Correct, preceding line tells the fact.
B. to prove that active genes and not dormant genes define key behavioral traits.-Out of scope.
C. to describe the role played by genetic inheritance in determining one’s personality-No, It doesnt describe the role.
D. to indicate that there have been few experiments in the past linking behavior and life experience-No, nothign about few experiments is mentioned
E. to lay the foundation for the development of epigenetics-Out of scope.

3. Which of the following may be inferred from the passage?

A. It is quite likely for twins to develop different personality traits- No, not quite likely. Only in the event when one of them has gone thru a life altering experience
B. Resetting the changes introduced by corresponding methyl groups can help cure cancer-No, Mthyl group ataching to DNA due to diet changes may cause cancer but detaching it will undo cancer is no where to be found and thus cant be inferred. What if cancer is irrevocable?
C. Most cancers are caused due to one’s life experiences rather than due to one’s genetic make-up-No, Not always.
D. Traumatic experiences that activate dormant genes can bring about behavioral changes.-Correct, Trauma can bring BT.
E. Identical twins who have led different lives are likely to have different behavioral traits.
D[/spoiler- No, not always.

4. In the context of this passage, what is the importance of the example illustrating how cancer is caused?

A. It proved that life experiences can alter a person’s personality traits- No, it tells that dormant genes can cause cancer.
B. It provided definitive proof of personality change in a person much later in his life-No, its not a "Definitive" proof, its an observation.
C. It showed that genes that may be dormant could be activated by external triggers many years after birth-Correct, this is what the example illustrates.
D. It led to the coining of the term - epigenetics.-No, out of scope.
E. It led to a boom in the study of Behavioral genetics-No, out of scope.

[spoiler=]C

Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5653 [1]
Given Kudos: 416
Send PM
Re: The role of nurturing in determining one’s behavioral traits has been [#permalink]
Kudos
P1 - nurturing + behavioral traits ; geneticists plays little role in shaping one’s behavioral traits
P2 - methyl groups + DNA + cells
P3 - Discovery in P2 + Behavioral geneticists by examples.

Main point - nurturing + behavioral traits are explained with examples.
Tone - informative.
---------------------------------------

1. The primary purpose of the passage is to

A. propose a new framework that incorporates the role of genetics and the role to life experiences in determining an individual’s behavioral traits. - looks close but when this situation pick words ask, is it this ? is it "new framework" ? Also is it "determining" "behavioral traits" ? like C shaping one’s behavioral traits. "determining" is used when more like you need to tell which one of these is something.
B. summarize the new research on behavioral traits and inheritance. - No research on inheritance.
C. present findings indicating that, like inheritance, nurturing plays a role in shaping one’s behavioral traits - Balanced tone. all 3 paragraphs are likely covered.
D. argue through new findings that life experiences play a vital role in shaping an individual’s behavioral traits. - 'argue ' is extreme word. Argue is for place when author is trying to prove something with reasons. author is just informative here.
E. establish a causal relationship between an individual’s life experiences and his reaction to stressful situations. - Only P3

----------------------------------------
2. Why does the author state highlighted text:
What to do - Read a line before this part.
Pre-think - Highlighted text is explaining that "geneticists believed that behavioral traits are inherited"

A. to provide a reason for geneticists belief that behavioral traits are inherited.

----------------------------------------
3. Which of the following may be inferred from the passage?
What to do - Read every option. if you can eliminate some then good. look for passage once you read all choices.
I end up eliminating B and C in one Go for rest i have to read specific part.

A. It is quite likely for twins to develop different personality traits. - likely defines surety ~90%. 'can' could have made this choice promising.
B. Resetting the changes introduced by corresponding methyl groups can help cure cancer. - Cure is never mentioned.
C. Most cancers are caused due to one’s life experiences rather than due to one’s genetic make-up. - We dont know much about Most.
D. Traumatic experiences that activate dormant genes can bring about behavioral changes. - smallest scope. just defined a possibility. 1st line of P3 is on same lines. Best of the lot.
E. Identical twins who have led different lives are likely to have different behavioral traits. - Again same explanation as A.

-----------------------------------------
4. In the context of this passage, what is the importance of the example illustrating how cancer is caused?
What to do - anchor phrase is "how cancer is caused" this is defined in 2nd half of P2.
Pre-thinking - what is the importance of the example? Well this example described "telling the DNA what kind of cells to form."

C. It showed that genes that may be dormant could be activated by external triggers many years after birth. - This one is closest of all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
For question 1
C. present findings indicating that, like inheritance, nurturing plays a role in shaping one’s behavioral traits -
D. argue through new findings that life experiences play a vital role in shaping an individual’s behavioral traits. -

/I am confused between C and D . Not convinced with the explanation above. Can anyone help
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
aftergmat wrote:
For question 1
C. present findings indicating that, like inheritance, nurturing plays a role in shaping one’s behavioral traits -
D. argue through new findings that life experiences play a vital role in shaping an individual’s behavioral traits. -

/I am confused between C and D . Not convinced with the explanation above. Can anyone help

Let me try one more time. So how to answer Main point questions:

- answer choice must be covering whole passage not the summaries of individual parts. How an answer do that? Well a combination of all paragraphs
- use POE to eliminate other choices. --- I think you are able to eliminate A,B and E
- have a reasonable explanation of why this choice is right. ---- So what is the reasonable explanation for C and D.
- Look for the vocab and it must match with the Tone of the passage. In whole passage author never used any extreme words So main point can not be an argument. Think of it as you are the writer of this abstract. you are saying all this to someone. Someone told you that you are arguing. How will you react? Is it argument? In general look for the tone of the passage. Usually tone questions do not appear in GMAT but they really decide the vocab used in options.

Let me know if you have any kind of doubts.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [0]
Given Kudos: 115
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 3: 750 Q50 V42
Send PM
I don't like C here.It should have been "nurturing environment" instead of just plain "nurturing".Nurturing does not do anything here.The passage is about
experiences and its effect.Marked D hence.

In the present format just "Nurturing" does not do justice at all
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 133
Send PM
workout This initiative of RC butler is really great and I think it is helping a lot of people as well. I a personally benefiting a lot out of it.
I don't know if it is possible or not but I was thinking can you start mentioning the ideal time that should be taken to finish each passage depending on length, difficulty etc. that we can start monitoring if we are moving in the right direction towards timing??
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 5653 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
MG1105 - ideal time for the passage is a standard time, same as one must finish a SC question in 90 sec, a CR question in At max 120 sec. For RC timings are as following.
Reading time - 2-3 min(short passage), 3-4 min (long passage). Each question should be finished in 1 min avg.
Take example of this passage. This one is long passage, must be finished reading in 4 min max and total 4 min to solve 4 questions, a total of 8 min max. Anything more than that is not good. and need improvement.
Hope it was helpful.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
MG1105 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
MG1105 - ideal time for the passage is a standard time, same as one must finish a SC question in 90 sec, a CR question in At max 120 sec. For RC timings are as following.
Reading time - 2-3 min(short passage), 3-4 min (long passage). Each question should be finished in 1 min avg.
Take example of this passage. This one is long passage, must be finished reading in 4 min max and total 4 min to solve 4 questions, a total of 8 min max. Anything more than that is not good. and need improvement.
Hope it was helpful.

Actually I am taking 2 min to finish each RC question. Then I need to bring it down by 50%. Also I was under the impression that difficult passage can have a higher timing cutoff. But doesn't look like it.
Thanks for your response :)
Retired Moderator
Send PM
Kudos
MG1105 wrote:
MG1105 wrote:
aragonn wrote:
Hope it was helpful.

Actually I am taking 2 min to finish each RC question. Then I need to bring it down by 50%. Also I was under the impression that difficult passage can have a higher timing cutoff. But doesn't look like it.
Thanks for your response :)

That is why I wrote avg. not everyone will take 4 min to read this passage. you can finish it in 3 and save a min for other questions. many time you can solve a question in 3o sec or less on the other hand many questions take 2 min or more cause of long and hard language. For improvement point follow these lines.
1. read quicker and comprehend them as quick as possible.
2. read question once and do not try to re-read them at any point.
3. same goes with all choices, read once and tell your self it is right or wrong.
4. at least know where to look for any answer choice once you are done reading.
5. practice and practice, RC will take time but it will be your strength once you work on right areas.

Happy prepping !
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your response :)[/quote][/quote]

That is why I wrote avg. not everyone will take 4 min to read this passage. you can finish it in 3 and save a min for other questions. many time you can solve a question in 3o sec or less on the other hand many questions take 2 min or more cause of long and hard language. For improvement point follow these lines.
1. read quicker and comprehend them as quick as possible.
2. read question once and do not try to re-read them at any point.
3. same goes with all choices, read once and tell your self it is right or wrong.
4. at least know where to look for any answer choice once you are done reading.
5. practice and practice, RC will take time but it will be your strength once you work on right areas.

Happy prepping ![/quote]

Thanks a lot! I will incorporate these things during my practice. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Send PM
question number 1,
it is given in para 2 starting that a -" a new line of research has indicated.... "
this imply that this is a new finding which is given in option 1.
so it is correct according to my understanding.
please help me to understand where i am flawed.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 685 [0]
Given Kudos: 1316
Send PM
Piyush785 wrote:
question number 1,
it is given in para 2 starting that a -" a new line of research has indicated.... "
this imply that this is a new finding which is given in option 1.
so it is correct according to my understanding.
please help me to understand where i am flawed.

Hi Piyush785,

Option A is
Quote:
propose a new framework that incorporates the role of genetics and the role to life experiences in determining an individual’s behavioral traits

No new framework is being proposed. If we see the starting of the 2nd para, the author is simply presenting an existing finding that supports the claim that nurturing plays a role in shaping one’s behavioral traits. Thus option C is correct and not A.

Hope This Helps.
Thanks.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: The role of nurturing in determining ones behavioral traits has been [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: The role of nurturing in determining ones behavioral traits has been [#permalink]
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6922 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
14002 posts