Last visit was: 27 Apr 2024, 22:29 It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 22:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [6]
Given Kudos: 5780
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 94
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.33
Send PM
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [1]
Send PM
Re: The table below displays data from the different divisions of Company [#permalink]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Brucewayne00726 wrote:
chetan2u SajjadAhmad

Can anyone explain in detail how to solve this question?

Official Explanation

(1) Understand the prompt, and (2) understand the question. Take real time to do so here, since you have complex data and a statement that is worded in a cumbersome way. Now, as you consider your approach, it may seem as if the answer to this question is No. How can you prove such a statement? All we know about performance plastics is that Company X has 26% of the U.S. market and 30% of the world market, and that both positions are #1 (meaning that no other company has a larger share of either market). Well, lets play “devils advocate” and try to poke a hole in the statement.

Imagine that the statement is false. That is, there is no other country in which X s share is greater than it is in the U.S. So in every other country, X s share of the market is 26% or less. Everywhere in the world, including in the U.S., Company X is making only 26% or less of the revenues that are being made on performance plastics.

Then how can X ’s share of the world market be 30%?

It can’t be!

If Company X ’s global market share is 30%, but its market share in the U.S. is lower than 30%, then somewhere else, its market share must be higher than 30%. You can think of weighted averages. Company X s global market share is the weighted average of its market shares in all countries. For 30% to be the weighted average of 26% and a bunch of other numbers, at least one of those other numbers must be greater than 30%.

Thus, the statement must be true. The answer is Yes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q163 V160
Send PM
Re: The table below displays data from the different divisions of Company [#permalink]
What if the market share is less than 26% in multiple countries..like say 8% in Country A, 9% Country B, etc. This would add up to the remaining 74% left after deducting U.S.

I imagine 30% here refers to a piece of the global pie (100%). And of that 30% pie, 26% is the U.S. slice.

Is there something wrong with my understanding?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
I have same question as taru23. Can someone help please? Sajjad1994 Bunuel
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
NoviceBoy wrote:
I have same question as taru23. Can someone help please? Sajjad1994 Bunuel

1. I did not understand your question please elaborate.

2. The official explanation is posted you can read it for further reference: https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-table-be ... l#p2516659

3. While asking question please mention the statement you are asking for.

Cheers.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Send PM
Hii Sajjad1994 My question is same as the person named Taru who asked it in the comments before. Sorry I should have quoted her!!

My question is -
"What if the market share is less than 26% in multiple countries..like say 8% in Country A, 9% Country B, etc. This would add up to the remaining 74% left after deducting U.S.

I imagine 30% here refers to a piece of the global pie (100%). And of that 30% pie, 26% is the U.S. slice.

Is there something wrong with my understanding?"
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32983 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
NoviceBoy wrote:
Hii Sajjad1994 My question is same as the person named Taru who asked it in the comments before. Sorry I should have quoted her!!

My question is -
"What if the market share is less than 26% in multiple countries..like say 8% in Country A, 9% Country B, etc. This would add up to the remaining 74% left after deducting U.S.

Is there something wrong with my understanding?"

Hi NoviceBoy

Maybe this statement is beyond my comprehension, but it is utterly confusing and debatable and can better be rephrased as: "There must be at least one other country in which Company X has a percentage of the performance plastics market apart from the US".

Otherwise your concern is 100% valid. It is not necessary that the company x have a greater percentage of the performance plastics market.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 232 [0]
Given Kudos: 164
Send PM
All Yes.
1. & 4. Let Total Global Market share for Performance Plastic division = $20,000.
Let Total U.S. Market Share for Performance Plastic Division = $10,000.

(The Global market share is always greater than The U.S. Market share. )

Performance Plastic sales of company X in U.S. is (26% OF $10,000) = $2,600 .(This is ranked 1st in the US Market, so no other company can have sales more than this amount in the U.S Market)
Performance Plastic sales of company X in Global market is (30% OF $20,000) = $6,000( This is ranked 1st in the Global Market, so no other company can have sales more than this amount in the Global market).

Now, when we compare the sale of the U.S. and Global market.
Company X has sale of $2,600 in U.S. Market and ranked 1st.
Company X has sale of $6,000 in Global Market and ranked 1st.

So, definitely in some other market (outside the U.S Market) Company X has sales of $6,000 (30%) and ranked 1st. (which is greater than the sales done in the U.S Market $2,600 (26%))

2. When sorting the data from lower to higher, we get the positive corelation in betweeen the U.S. Market Share and Global Market Share.

3. Healthcare & Medical is the division of Company X which is the median of Company X’s five divisions by both U.S. market rank and global market rank.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92959 posts
DI Forum Moderator
1030 posts
RC & DI Moderator
11183 posts