GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 21 Sep 2018, 01:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

CR & LSAT Forum Moderator
P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Reviews Badge
It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 18:33
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

51% (01:33) correct 49% (01:50) wrong based on 88 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most diseases are caused by very specific microorganisms whose response to the pressures medicines exert on them is predictable: they quickly evolve immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans.
Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the argument by the claim that it is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease?

(A )It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that microorganisms are too numerous for medicines to eliminate entirely
(B) It is a conclusion for which a description of the responses of microorganisms to the medicines designed to cure the disease they cause is offered as support
(C) It is a premise offered in support of the claim that most disease-causing microorganisms are able to evolve immunities to medicines while retaining their ability to infect humans
(D) It is a generalization used to predict the response of microorganisms to the medicines humans use to kill them
(E) It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that most microorganisms are immune to medicines designed to kill them

Source: LSAT

D-Day: November 18th, 2017

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

P
Status: He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Studying for the LSAT -- Corruptus in Extremis
Reviews Badge
Re: It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 18:47
Explanation:

It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most diseases are caused by very specific microorganisms whose response to the pressures medicines exert on them is predictable: they quickly evolve immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans.

-- Blue = our conclusion
-- Green = our premises/sub conclusions

Which one of the following most accurately describes the role played in the argument by the claim that it is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease?

(A )It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that microorganisms are too numerous for medicines to eliminate entirely -- If you guessed (A), then you had the first part. The question asks about the conclusion, but never specifies that the organisms are too numerous! Good attempt if you guessed this one, you are 50% of the way there!
(B) It is a conclusion for which a description of the responses of microorganisms to the medicines designed to cure the disease they cause is offered as support -- Congrats, this is the answer! The conclusion is followed by the accurate premise, which is that the microorganisms adapt to the medicine.
(C) It is a premise offered in support of the claim that most disease-causing microorganism are able to evolve immunities to medicines while retaining their ability to infect humans -- The premise supports the conclusion. If you guessed this one, you probably got it wrong because of the "because - therefore" test.
(D) It is a generalization used to predict the response of microorganisms to the medicines humans use to kill them -- There is no generalization. If you guessed this one, you may have read too quickly, or you need to study premises and conclusions (see Powerscore).
(E) It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that most microorganisms are immune to medicines designed to kill them -- If you guessed this one, then you're 90% of the way there! This is the closest to the real answer. The only difference is that the premise doesn't say the microorganisms are immune to medicine.

Need a laugh and a break? Go here: https://gmatclub.com/forum/mental-break-funny-videos-270269.html

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests
Re: It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 14 Jul 2018, 21:23
adkikani wrote:
nightblade354 generis ammuseeru GMATNinja pikolo2510

Faltered in choosing E over B because of sophisticated language.

Quote:
It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease.

Main conclusion of argument.

Quote:
Most diseases are caused by very specific microorganisms whose response to the pressures medicines exert on them is predictable: they quickly evolve immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans.

Here is how I would paraphrase it:
Specific microorganisms develop some sort of immunity since they can predict how medicines
will attempt to kill them. Hence these microorganisms shall still be able to infect people and kill them.

Quote:

I would treat conclusion as a bold face. Then decide what role did conclusion play w.r.t entire argument.

Quote:
(A )It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that microorganisms are too numerous for medicines to eliminate entirely

Incorrect because of underlined portion.

Quote:
(B) It is a conclusion for which a description of the responses of microorganisms to the medicines designed to cure the disease they cause is offered as support

How apt it is to break the PoE further in to its clauses when to understand it better:
It is a conclusion

for which a description (premise) of the responses of microorganisms to the medicines
designed to cure the disease they cause is offered as support
This is almost close to paraphrasing the premise. I unfortunately fell in to underlined trap.
Hopefully I should have noticed no contrasting words such as however, yet, etc. in argument

Quote:
(C) It is a premise offered in support of the claim that most disease-causing microorganism are able to evolve immunities to medicines while retaining their ability to infect humans

Did not bother to read beyond red part, the first sentence is a conclusion not a premise. Easy out.

Quote:
(D) It is a generalization used to predict the response of microorganisms to the medicines humans use to kill them

This is probably a bit more than generalization, it is claim derived from premise by author not an opinion or judgement.

Quote:
(E) It is a conclusion that is claimed to follow from the premise that most microorganisms are immune to medicines designed to kill them

Oh boy, was I so close!!

Quote:
It is a conclusion
that is claimed to follow from the premise

All good till here.

Quote:
that most microorganisms are immune to medicines designed to kill them

But ultimately the microorganisms if not treated do infect people and even kill them. This is CLEARLY mentioned in argument.
Where did my reasoning falter?

Small ending note: Plural of impunity is immunity not immunities, may be my Editorial friend will catch you up on this ;)

Posted from my mobile device

adkikani ,
E is wrong because of basic reason "most microorganisms are immune to medicines designed to kill them". No where in passage it is mentioned that "MOST MCOG are immune to Medicines". Passage says, MCOG quickly evolve immunities to those medicines but it does say they are immune. There is subtle difference between these two assertions.
P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 06:27
adkikani,

If you look at my explanation, I discuss in (E) the reason why it is incorrect. The microorganisms are not immune to the medicine. Our premise never states this, so it cannot be the correct answer. The microorganisms BECOME immune when they evolve.

Does this help?

Study Buddy Forum Moderator
D
WE: Engineering (Other)
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 06:44
Nice to see you both nightblade354 and ammuseeru on same page.

A small approach query: Did you by chance took any help of grammar especially verb tense
while analyzing this statement from premise:

Quote:
they quickly evolve immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans.

I took the above sentence in present tense and faltered to undesrtand context of - evolve - which denotes
the MCOG are not now immune to medicines but they will be in future after undergoing evolution.
Does it make sense?

It's the journey that brings us happiness not the destination.

P
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 06:48
adkikani wrote:

A small approach query: Did you by chance took any help of grammar especially verb tense

Quote:
they quickly evolve immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans.

I took the above sentence in present tense and faltered to undesrtand context of - evolve - which denotes
the MCOG are not now immune to medicines but they will be in future after undergoing evolution.
Does it make sense?

This is a difficult LSAT question (it is one of the last 5 in the section). Here is the sentence " Most diseases are caused by very specific microorganisms whose response to the pressures medicines exert on them is predictable: they quickly evolve immunities". The statement is saying that the medicine will cause, and thus is a future reaction. It is completely causal. And no, I did not take a grammar class as I am a native speaker already. Don't overthink the question, haha. You got 90% of the way there.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
P
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 15 Jul 2018, 07:13
adkikani wrote:

Quote:

Does it make sense?

adkikani, I think you are going a way too much into grammar. Relax and Chill out.

"they quickly evolve Immunities to those medicines while maintain their power to infect and even kill humans."---> It is a truth....on going process...

Have you wondered why do Indian parents let their kids play in mud/sand/clay ?
Why antibiotic course for common cold period has increased from 3 days to 5 days ?
Why do we gets vaccinated for chicken pox and what does chicken pox vaccination contains.
Re: It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most &nbs [#permalink] 15 Jul 2018, 07:13

It is unlikely that the world will ever be free of disease. Most

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Events & Promotions

PREV
NEXT

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap