Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Schools:INSEAD Dec'10
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Re: Trouble on Wall Street...more of less B-school applicants? [#permalink]
International applicants, particularly those who want to switch from IT to IB or MC should reconsider their chances for employment before they embark on such an expensive journey. Banks and consulting companies have traditionally sponsored H -1B visas for their non US citizen employees and landing a job with them from now on will be extremely tough.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Kudos
cbreeze wrote:
International applicants, particularly those who want to switch from IT to IB or MC should reconsider their chances for employment before they embark on such an expensive journey. Banks and consulting companies have traditionally sponsored H -1B visas for their non US citizen employees and landing a job with them from now on will be extremely tough.

To add to what has been posted so far, how much harder do you think it will be for US citizen career changers, let's say from engineering to IB? I understand that it will be difficult, but let's say for a graduate from Chicago GSB, would he be able to land an IB job non bulge bracket?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Everything points to there being a large increase in applications again tihs year (many schools saw 20%+ last year). Remember though the finacial crisis is a lot worse for the banker set but its does impact the other people so applicatoins will increase across the board.

Also I believe that many ex-IBankers and IBankers-wannabe will go for consulting, so competition will be tough across the board.

cbreeze wrote:

It depends. Many internationals were already returning to their countries to work as IBers at their country. That said, this crisis will affect the whole world do even this may change, but I see still many Brazilian Banks hiring at the GSB for instance, and believe me or not, people are getting bigger pay checks there - I've heard the same for HK and South Asian markets in general.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
I was wondering how many spots Bear, Lehman and Merrill hired, and from the BW site:

GSB Wharton Kellogg Ross MIT Duke CBS
Bear 10
Lehman 19 18 9 9 6 13
Merril 19 13 8 4 14

At Harvard's page it was stated that Lehman was a Heavy Hiring company, but they don't disclosure the number of people hired. GSB, Wharton and CBS, are the most affected in absolut terms. Anyway, overall, not counting Harvard and other schools, the number is 142 spots! OUCH!

I don't know how accurate BW numbers are, but it gives an idea...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
I would expect a surge in applications in the coming months. As one of the previous posts mentioned concerns about loans, perhaps this will lead to more candidates considering the public programs with large subsidies for in-state students.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Hopefully since I am applying from a non-profit background and hoping to continue work in non-profit after b-school, the financial instability won't affect my applicant pool that much.
GMAT Club Bot