Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 23:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 23:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Tuck or Yale SOM [#permalink]
Both are good programs, but for consulting, particularly MBB, Tuck is significantly ahead of SOM. On average between 20-25% of Tuckies go to MBB (for 2014 for instance Yale placed under 8% into MBB). Further, Tuck is THE target for Parthenon (the highest paying consulting firm, founded by Tuckies) and it is also one of only two MBA programs where you can enter straight into Monitor at Deloitte rather than general S&O straight away.

While SOM does place into MBB it isn't on par with Tuck's placement.

aerien wrote:
Based on your post to me, you seem to be leaning SOM but are concerned about the overall reputation of the program vs Tuck's.

At both schools, you'll have great access to consulting recruiters at all the major firms. I posit that perhaps percentage-wise you'll see more of Tuck students end up in consulting firms in Boston, whereas at SOM you may see a bit of a wider range across NY, Boston, SF, Chicago.

As to the quoted comment from aerien, politely this is not true. From my class alone we have people going to MBB all throughout the US (NYC, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and San Francisco) as well as internationally throughout Asia, Latin America, and Europe (including being the best represented MBA program at McKinsey London). Numbers and percentage-wise there is a significant gulf between Tuck and SOM for consulting.

If you have any questions on consulting recruiting at Tuck, please feel free to PM me, happy to talk offline.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Flyte wrote:
Both are good programs, but for consulting, particularly MBB, Tuck is significantly ahead of SOM. On average between 20-25% of Tuckies go to MBB (for 2014 for instance Yale placed under 8% into MBB). Further, Tuck is THE target for Parthenon (the highest paying consulting firm, founded by Tuckies) and it is also one of only two MBA programs where you can enter straight into Monitor at Deloitte rather than general S&O straight away.

While SOM does place into MBB it isn't on par with Tuck's placement.

aerien wrote:
Based on your post to me, you seem to be leaning SOM but are concerned about the overall reputation of the program vs Tuck's.

At both schools, you'll have great access to consulting recruiters at all the major firms. I posit that perhaps percentage-wise you'll see more of Tuck students end up in consulting firms in Boston, whereas at SOM you may see a bit of a wider range across NY, Boston, SF, Chicago.

As to the quoted comment from aerien, politely this is not true. From my class alone we have people going to MBB all throughout the US (NYC, Boston, DC, Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, Chicago, and San Francisco) as well as internationally throughout Asia, Latin America, and Europe (including being the best represented MBA program at McKinsey London). Numbers and percentage-wise there is a significant gulf between Tuck and SOM for consulting.

If you have any questions on consulting recruiting at Tuck, please feel free to PM me, happy to talk offline.

Only a (perhaps too strong) posit based on what I've seen -- obviously you would know better since you're actually at Tuck, @flyte!* This is why you (general you, GC-reader) should take everything with a grain of salt ... and do your own research, while you're at it :)

And indeed, Tuck consulting placements are quite impressive across the board.

*Sticks to talking about SOM since that's the only school I've been to.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts