Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:HBS class of 2011
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Re: Tuck pays for PE internships [#permalink]
Wow!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Working for a portfolio company is going to be vastly different, and less appealing, than working for a fund. And 60% of the student body is looking for placement in alternative investment industry?!?!? Expectations need to be severely tempered in this industry if that's really the case, because hardly anyone is hiring, and firms certainly aren't hiring those w/out previous or applicable experience in any meaningful way. End PE bubble, commence Social Entrepreneurism bubble.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
A lot of schools fund internships in things like start-ups, non-profits, goverment, extremely low paying stuff...haven't heard of HF/VC/PE stuff getting stipends though. Usually those careers pay insanely well after school so its your problem to have that extra loan amount during school. Most of my friends going into those areas are getting paid for the summer though which surprised me. I wonder how many people this involves at Tuck its a small class and PE isnt hugely popular so i would imagine its not a huge number of folks...then again times like these might mean more people chasing everything imaginable at the end of the year.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
A lot of schools fund internships in things like start-ups, non-profits, goverment, extremely low paying stuff...haven't heard of HF/VC/PE stuff getting stipends though. Usually those careers pay insanely well after school so its your problem to have that extra loan amount during school. Most of my friends going into those areas are getting paid for the summer though which surprised me. I wonder how many people this involves at Tuck its a small class and PE isnt hugely popular so i would imagine its not a huge number of folks...then again times like these might mean more people chasing everything imaginable at the end of the year.

Tuck does have a small class but it sends a high proportion into PE relative to its peers. For full time employment about 5-10% of Tuck grads, on average, have gone into PE over the last few years and a higher percentage than that usually intern with a PE fund. So that's about 12-25 people full time and another 20+ for internships each year.

cougarblue wrote:
Working for a portfolio company is going to be vastly different, and less appealing, than working for a fund. And 60% of the student body is looking for placement in alternative investment industry?!?!? Expectations need to be severely tempered in this industry if that's really the case, because hardly anyone is hiring, and firms certainly aren't hiring those w/out previous or applicable experience in any meaningful way. End PE bubble, commence Social Entrepreneurism bubble.

Just to clarify the article said that 60% of students recruiting in the spring, not 60% overall. That's pretty typical as AI jobs are the last to hire. All the people that were going after banking, consulting, cpg, the large mutual funds, etc finish their recruiting earlier. For example all the big consulting firms, all the bulge brackets, 5-6 large mutual fund companies, etc do on campus recruiting at Tuck and that ends in January. There is also a lot of off campus stuff that happens simultaneously, and also ends around January/February. I would guess in a normal year its even more than 60% of students recruiting in March-May that are looking for PE type jobs but this year there are probably also quite a few people that failed to land jobs in the winter and are still looking around for anything they can get.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
tuck screwed me with the fin aid..they didnt even give me half of what i needed.. How come they have so much money to give away to future billionaire Private Equity interns ?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
ashaker wrote:
tuck screwed me with the fin aid..they didnt even give me half of what i needed.. How come they have so much money to give away to future billionaire Private Equity interns ?

lol...if 40 students get PE internships, that's $5000*40 = $200,000 per year. That's an extra $1000 of potential financial aid money per student (240 students per class, I assume 200 of those get financial aid). Tuck still would've screwed you, just a bit less.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Booth does this too - also to the tune of $5K.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Am I the only one who finds this objectionable? With non-profits and government, it makes sense -- those interns weren't getting paid much (or at all) anyway, and there is a social benefit. It also reduces some of the psychological difficulty of giving up a high-paying IB/MC/Marketing internship for a social sector one. (Well, it would if there were IB/MC internships to be had. :-) )

But it's not like PE funds can't or don't pay their interns well. This really seems like a bribe to companies to hire Tuck students over other students. Imagine if schools did this for IB or MC to entice companies to take their students over those of other top schools.

In non-profit, the subsidy helps the student afford the summer; in this case, it's a bribe to entice the company to hire students from one school over another. Seems ethically questionable to me, and it sets a bad precedent other schools may be forced to follow just to get their students jobs.

(I should point out that I have no intention of recruiting for PE jobs or anything related -- I just find it troubling overall.)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
I don't see it so much as a bribe as an incentive to hire more summer interns. Say PE firm X has a $20,000 intern budget, which in normal cases would cover the cost of 2 interns. Because of the subsidy provided by Tuck, they now can hire 3 interns for the price of 2. It's a win for the PE firm (which gets essentially free labor from the 3rd intern), a win for the school (better placement stats in PE), and a win for the students (more openings at PE firms).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Jerz wrote:
I don't see it so much as a bribe as an incentive to hire more summer interns. Say PE firm X has a $20,000 intern budget, which in normal cases would cover the cost of 2 interns. Because of the subsidy provided by Tuck, they now can hire 3 interns for the price of 2. It's a win for the PE firm (which gets essentially free labor from the 3rd intern), a win for the school (better placement stats in PE), and a win for the students (more openings at PE firms).

Internship hiring isn't motivated by the number of people they can afford for the summer -- it's motivated by how many people the company wants to hire full-time. Internships don't do the company a lot of good in and of themselves. Their value is in allowing firms to evaluate potential candidates for full-time positions.

Consulting is the industry I know best, but there, if anything firms hire fewer interns than they can offer full-time jobs to -- because there aren't a ton of engagements that are self-contained over a summer.

So I don't see this "subsidy" creating jobs -- I see it taking jobs away from students at schools that are not willing to pay PE firms. Or it'll just create the expectation that all the schools have to pay employers to take their students, meaning our MBAs will get even more expensive than they already are.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Most firms take more interns than they have FT jobs, because it is a very cheap 10 week option. The PE and HF world have started to take advantage of this, as people will fight to do them and earn nothing as cost.

Tuck shouldn't necessarily subsidize this, but it is the schools choice - personally I think that it should be a means tested decision. Extreme hardship (100% loans) should not prevent someone from the opportunity compared to someone funded by the bank of mom and pop.

I can assure Skitalets that paid HF and PE internships are a pretty rare deal, and can be, at the long end of pay, enough to cover your rent. Maybe. Because they are taking time to teach you, and selling you on a really long term, perceived in the money, call.
GMAT Club Bot