GMAT Question of the Day: Daily via email | Daily via Instagram New to GMAT Club? Watch this Video

It is currently 22 Feb 2020, 23:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Which school would you choose?

• 15% [6]
  • 84% [32]
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Find Similar Topics 
Intern
Intern
Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 09:05
After a busy application season, I'm lucky to have multiple good offers to consider. I have narrowed down my choices to Anderson ($$$$) and Tuck. Anderson offered 100k/year, which is a lot of money to glance. Tuck was great, I get the Ivy league brand, the strong network and something new. But is something new worth 100k for a California native?

My background/goals:

Corporate finance at bulge bracket bank for 4 years (credit analysis)

Looking to pivot into investment banking, but also an interest in consulting should I not love the IB lifestyle after a summer associate program.

Would prefer to end up on the West Coast, as I am native to Southern California. I am torn as I really enjoyed the close knit community at Tuck, but thorough LinkedIn research shows the majority of the Tuck network stays out east. I would enjoy NYC for 3 years possibly, but know I would not build a life there necessarily.

Tuck (no $)
pros:

Very strong consulting recruitment, strong IB career path as well. Could I get to West Coast if I wanted too?

Tight-knit vibe

I felt like I could really see myself fitting in here from my visit

Alumni network is VERY responsive and helpful. Even as a potential incoming student, I have seen strong support from alumni when I reached out.

Different experience, forces me out of my comfort zone from SoCal where I have been my whole life.

cons:

Hanover con. The main issue is I am very close to my family, who is SoCal based, and getting home is nearly a 10 hour round trip with flight to Boston/drive to Hanover. I didn't think it would bother me too much, but as I have traveled for a campus visit, interview, and now admitted student weekend it is quite a long trip that you can't do too frequently.

Network is small because of class size, and primarily concentrated in NE. Of the top 10 IBs in LA + SF, I saw about 20 Tuck Alumni vs. 150+ Anderson Alumni in IB

Anderson

pros:
Will graduate debt free. Not tethered to a high paying job to pay off debt ASAP.

Strong west coast brand. I think it does well in Tech and IB from what I have seen on Linkedin?

Similar campus culture "collaborative"

Build my network/brand in the region I want to end up in

cons:

Lower rank, lesser career office.
Director
Director
V
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT Date: 02-18-2019
GPA: 3.4
WE: Engineering (Consulting)
Re: Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 09:23
RuralorUrban wrote:
After a busy application season, I'm lucky to have multiple good offers to consider. I have narrowed down my choices to Anderson ($$$$) and Tuck. Anderson offered 100k/year, which is a lot of money to glance. Tuck was great, I get the Ivy league brand, the strong network and something new. But is something new worth 100k for a California native?

My background/goals:

Looking to pivot into investment banking, but also an interest in consulting should I not love the IB lifestyle after a summer associate program.

Would prefer to end up on the West Coast, as I am native to Southern California. I am torn as I really enjoyed the close knit community at Tuck, but thorough LinkedIn research shows the majority of the Tuck network stays out east. I would enjoy NYC for 3 years possibly, but know I would not build a life there necessarily.

Tuck (no $)
pros:

Very strong consulting recruitment, strong IB career path as well. Could I get to West Coast if I wanted too?

Tight-knit vibe

Alumni network is VERY responsive and helpful. Even as a potential incoming student, I have seen strong support from alumni when I reached out.

Different experience, forces me out of my comfort zone from SoCal where I have been my whole life.

cons:

Hanover con. The main issue is I am very close to my family, who is SoCal based, and getting home is nearly a 10 hour round trip with flight to Boston/drive to Hanover. I didn't think it would bother me too much, but as I have traveled for a campus visit, interview, and now admitted student weekend it is quite a long trip that you can't do too frequently.

Network is small because of class size, and primarily concentrated in NE. Of the top 10 IBs in LA + SF, I saw about 20 Tuck Alumni vs. 150+ Anderson Alumni in IB

Anderson

pros:
Will graduate debt free. Not tethered to a high paying job to pay off debt ASAP.

Strong west coast brand. I think it does well in Tech and IB from what I have seen on Linkedin?

cons:

Congrats on your admit in great schools with a good amount of scholrships. :thumbup:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
V
Concentration: Finance
Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 12:36
RuralorUrban wrote:

My background/goals:

Tuck (no $)
pros:

Tight-knit vibe

cons:

Anderson

pros:

cons:

Hello RuralorUrban

My choice would be UCLA with $$$$, by far.

You must have impressed them very much in order to give you such amount ;)

I would agree with your UCLA pros and Tuck cons :)

When we check some rankings for Finance (and Banking) there is UCLA but not Tuck, or UCLA is actually better ranked, in case of FT rankings :

https://www.usnews.com/education/best-g ... ce?slide=2

https://www.stoodnt.com/blog/top-busine ... d-finance/

http://rankings.ft.com/businessschoolra ... nance-2018

Dont think twice go to UCLA, your life orientation/target is West Coast anyway :cool:
Current Student
S
Schools: Duke '21 (M$)
GMAT 1: 730 Q46 V44
GPA: 3.7
WE: Sales (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 13:10
Congratulations on two great offers. I voted Anderson:

1) Location, location, location. This cannot be stressed enough. In SoCal and on the West Coast, the UCLA brand strong, and your network will be far more expansive.
2) Recruiting for West Coast IB--after the initial on campus period in October, it will be up to you to do the legwork travelling for informational interviews and coffee chats. Imagine flying from the Lebanon airport, to connect for a cross country flight and back, 4-5 times in the first half year. That or drive to 2+ hours to Boston and do a similar thing. It's not impossible, but the logistics alone are difficult and costly/stressful.
3) Let's say you recruit for NY instead, a fairly solid path from Tuck. You would then have to attempt to lateral to LA, do so with a small Tuck network, and manage similar travel/networking. It seems like you would be setting yourself for a really difficult obstacle that could be avoided in the first place.

All things equal, you're right, Tuck is considered to be a better overall program, but I'm not sure it's 100k (plus interest) better and given your personal goals, it seems to be a worse option. Most signs here seem to be pointing to Anderson.

Good luck!

PS Disclaimer: I truly loved both programs, but chose Duke over Tuck with some $ and the goal of IB after doing my research, feel free to PM me.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 19:38
Congrats! Wow. $100k/year at Anderson. Does that mean Tuition Scholarship + A fellowship or a grant or a TA? or is this a diff program from FT Daytime MBA?

I voted Anderson as well. I think it is an easy choice despite Tuck being an Ivy and doing something new. There is a lot of value in graduating without a $2k/month payment.
S

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2019, 20:06
This shouldn’t even be a question - Anderson it is! I can give you a million reasons to pick Anderson over Tuck.
Except for MBB recruiting, UCLA is either at par or better than Tuck at tech, media, finance, healthcare and even CPG recruiting because of its location.

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
B
Schools: Anderson '21 (A)

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2019, 06:30
I just want to point out that Anderson's career center is ranked number 1 in the U.S., correct me if i am wrong.

Hope to see you at Anderson in August.
Founder
Founder
V
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 31 May 2019, 12:34
sorrowhill9 wrote:
I just want to point out that Anderson's career center is ranked number 1 in the U.S., correct me if i am wrong.

Hope to see you at Anderson in August.

You are correct.... however, it is not clear what that ranking is based on. If you know/seen the parameters, I would be very interested to know/learn (I am serious).
Re: Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)   [#permalink] 31 May 2019, 12:34

Tuck. vs Anderson ($$$$)

new topic post reply Update application status  

Moderators: billionaire, teleste