Last visit was: 12 Jul 2024, 16:19 It is currently 12 Jul 2024, 16:19
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6155 [4]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640177 [2]
Given Kudos: 84576
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6155 [0]
Given Kudos: 543
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 640177 [0]
Given Kudos: 84576
Send PM
Re: Two cars are traveling side-by-side along the same road. At [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fozzzy wrote:
If this question was worded a little different and we were asked to find the distance of car 2 then it would be C right?

Yes, that's correct.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 776 [0]
Given Kudos: 61
Concentration: Finance, General Management
Schools: ISB '15
WE:Account Management (Other)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
fozzzy wrote:
If this question was worded a little different and we were asked to find the distance of car 2 then it would be C right?

Yes, that's correct.

I missed exactly that point and chose C :( . How to avoid such errors and to rephrase the questions clearly to understand what the question is asking?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 570 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Send PM
Two cars are travelling side-by-side along the same road. At time 0, car 1 turns off onto another road. Two hours later, both cars are at the same horizontal position on their respective roads, as illustrated. If both cars were travelling at constant speeds for those entire two hours, how many times faster was car 1 travelling than car 2?

Trying to solve this in two minutes, I misread the question and thought that the time spent traveling included distance before the car 1 and car 2 split up. I said the answer was E because we had no idea how for they drove on the straight line before car 1 departed the straight line. Obviously, this question is considering just how long they were driving starting from the point at which they hit the triangle.

(1) Car 1 travelled 80 miles during those two hours.
If the cars are aligned horizontally at the end of the trip then their coordinates form a triangle. The shallower the angle on the left side of the triangle, the less distance 1 is going to travel in relation to car 2. A steeper angle would mean that car 1 would travel more distance and would have to do it at a quicker speed if they were to converge at the same x-coordinate at the same time. We have no idea how many miles 2 traveled in this time. The angle could have been quite steep: car 2 could have traveled 4 miles and car 1 80 in which case car 1's speed is much greater than car 2's. The angle could have been very shallow and car 2 could have traveled 70 miles and car 1, 80, in which case their speeds would have been much closer. Insufficient.

(2) The two roads form a 60˚ angle.
This tells us exactly what we need to know. Because both cars are aligned on the x-coordinate, they form a right angle. We know that the angle on the left of the triangle is 60 so this is a 30:60:90 triangle, the ratios of such are x: (√3/2 x): 2x meaning the ratio of the distance traveled by car 1 to car 2 is 2:1. Sufficient.

B.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [0]
Given Kudos: 236
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
tricky question...
I selected C, but now I see why B is the answer.
we are asked not the real values, but the percentage of how fast the cars were, relatively to each other!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 285 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Prompt analysis
Two cars are travelling such that after the turn they land in same horizontal position

Superset
The value will be a positive real number greater than 1

Translation
In order to find the answer, we need:
1# exact speed of car 1 and car 2
2# the distance the cars have travelled in 2 hours
3# the relation in distances

Statement analysis
St 1: Speed of car 1 = 40mph. Cannot say anything about the car B. INSUFFICIENT
St 2: let the distance travelled by car 2 be x. Distance travelled by car 1 = x/cos60 = 2x . since the time taken by both the cars is same, therefore ratio of speed will be equal to ratio of distance.
Speed of car 1/speed of car 2 = 2x/x = 2. ANSWER

Option B
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 851 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
94302 posts