GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 18 Jun 2019, 20:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 02:40
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:32) correct 27% (02:35) wrong based on 98 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/21. Then one of the numbers is

a) 3
b) 1
c) 5
d) 21
e) 28
Manager
Manager
Re: Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 03:53
There are several ways to solve this question:

Algebraic approach:

Let n be the smaller integer => 1/n + 1/(n+4) = 10/21
Solve for n => n=3. Hence, answer b) is correct.

Picking numbers:

Start with middle choice, i.e. 5
5 obviously cannot be the larger of the two integers as this would mean that the smaller integer would equal 1 (hence reciprocal also 1) and the sum of the reciprocals would exceed 10/21.
If 5 is the smaller of the two integers => 1/5 + 1/9 = 14/45. This is smaller than 10/21.

Next, choose 3 and 7 (because 12 and 28 would obviously make sum of the reciprocals too small) => 1/3 + 1/7 = 10/21. Hence, answer b) is correct.

Considering Least common multiple:

For the sum of the reciprocals of the integers to have the denominator 21 both numbers must be divisors of 21. This only holds true for answer choice b).
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
D
Re: Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 Oct 2010, 04:23
My take on this question - to solve it in the least time - is to make algebraic equation and then pick numbers.

If one number is n, the other is (n + 4).
Given 1/n + 1/(n+4) = 10/21
I look at the options and say that I need 21 as the denominator. 3 is given as an option. If 3 is one number, the other will be 7. Quickly substitute the values and confirm.

1/3 + 1/7 = 10/21

Note: In GMAT it is advisable to confirm your answer even if it seems pretty obvious. They like to put small little tricks to waylay you!

Learn more about how Veritas Prep can help you achieve a great GMAT score by checking out their GMAT Prep Options >
Manager
Manager

Show Tags

New post 27 Oct 2010, 02:48
1/n + 1/(n+4) = 1/21 =====> n = 3
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 08 Jan 2019, 19:06
Hello!

Could someone please solve by the algebraic approach?

Kind regards!
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/   [#permalink] 08 Jan 2019, 19:06

Two positive integers differ by 4, and sum of their reciprocals is 10/

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics