Last visit was: 09 May 2024, 20:48 It is currently 09 May 2024, 20:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
That's ok, I just wanted to make sure that the FT program didn't have some other program I wasn't aware of! :)

I looked at the program, but I was past the 0-3 years of work experience so I didn't qualify. One of my coworkers is currently applying. According to the info session I went to, the GMAT and GPA stats for the PT programs are comparable to the FT program - but they don't publish what those stats are. As always, though, the real question is how competitive and appealing your entire package is, not just your stats.

You'll need a nomination (basically another letter of recommendation) for the program, as well as full-time employment in the Chicago area. Everyone admitted is in the same seminar in the first quarter, but after that you get all the flexibility of the other Chicago programs. Otherwise, I don't think it's that different from the regular Evening PT program.

They just had a "Business Fellows Day" - I think the next one is in June. I'd definitely try and go to that if you are interested in the program.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Bookmarks
Thank you for your response. I have family in Chicago, so I may try to visit them during this weekend :).

I feel that I should have a unique package...now I just need a GMAT that is solid (710+) to make me competitive.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Part Time programs are generally far less competitive than full time programs. For instance, Kellogg admit rates are, last I looked, almost twice the full time rates for PT vs FT. I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago was similar. Most people I know who attend the PT programs have stats that are also less impressive - I can only think of one person I know out of 10 with a GMAT over 700 who is currently or attended Kellogg or Chicago PT (actually make that 2 out of 11, thought of someone else). By comparison, I'm not sure I know anyone with a GMAT under 700 at Chicago's FT program (though, by definition, they exist).

Thats not to say not to care - you should care and you should fret - but just fret a little less.

What kind of porsche do you drive?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Your still in college and you're driving a porsche? Why do want an MBA again?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
Rhyme, I know many people in the Kellogg PT program with GMATs over 700. Want me to run a poll in my stats class? :razz: The average GMAT for the entire program is 690, yes, less than the FT program but not a huge drop. And on average, Kellogg PT students have 2 more years of work experience than the FT students.

PT programs are certainly less competitive in terms of number of applicants, since the application pool is smaller, but that doesn't mean that your application can be weak. They'll turn you down if you aren't qualified for the program - especially since you've got to balance full time work and the program. I'm sure Porscheboy16 will be a competitive candidate though. :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
yb wrote:

I'm currently working an getting my Economics MA degree (was thinking about Phd, but not for me). It is an old one...1984.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:
Rhyme, I know many people in the Kellogg PT program with GMATs over 700. Want me to run a poll in my stats class? :razz: The average GMAT for the entire program is 690, yes, less than the FT program but not a huge drop. And on average, Kellogg PT students have 2 more years of work experience than the FT students.

PT programs are certainly less competitive in terms of number of applicants, since the application pool is smaller, but that doesn't mean that your application can be weak. They'll turn you down if you aren't qualified for the program - especially since you've got to balance full time work and the program. I'm sure Porscheboy16 will be a competitive candidate though. :)

Thanks for the encouragement.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Porscheboy16 wrote:
yb wrote:

I'm currently working an getting my Economics MA degree (was thinking about Phd, but not for me). It is an old one...1984.

Oh ok. Fair enough... Good luck man!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
klong009 wrote:

Fair enough... I'm not saying its devoid of people with 700+'s -- I personally know of two - just that, from the sample I know, it seemed much less an issue than in FT.

I know a few PT KGSM students who are somewhat disenchanted with the PT program and are looking to switch to the FT program (I'm not really sure what the reasons are, other than I think, primarily, they are just tired of balancing work and school) - some of them are actually considering retaking the GMAT, because (apparently, according to them) the school cares if you try to switch.

In any case, I wasnt trying to suggest the PT program somehow attracted students of a lower caliber
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Re: UChicago Young Scholars Program [#permalink]
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: UChicago Young Scholars Program [#permalink]